• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Yet another Kindle price drop... [merged]

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bit the bullet today...

And ordered a new wi-fi K3. No update on when it will ship. Hopefully in time to take it to PV in Mid Sept. I think I'll download some stuff to my PC then when the Kindle arrives I can just transfer it. Looking forward to some beach reading.

I was about sold on the Nook until the K3 was announced last week. It just has more capacity, better display, longer battery life, and (for now slightly) lower price. While I don't consider myself an 'early adopter', a casual look around the place shows I'm not the last one on the escalator either.

Merry Christmas to me!!

Jim Ricks

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I couldn't stand it. I just ordered the new wifi/3G kindle. I absolutely love my kindle2 and this seems like it is even better.

Question now is...........do I want to order one for DH as well, or leave him with his kindle2? :D

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I couldn't stand it. I just ordered the new wifi/3G kindle. I absolutely love my kindle2 and this seems like it is even better.

Question now is...........do I want to order one for DH as well, or leave him with his kindle2? :D

Give him the Kindle 2 and see how much he uses it and you could always order the Kindle 3 for him at Christmas if he has Kindle envy.

I just ordered the Kindle 3 too. Hopefully it won't be too back ordered. I have been using my daughters Kindle 1 and it works great but now she can have a chance to use it again.:cheer:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I ordered one too!

Like others, I just couldn't stand it any longer and ordered mine this morning. I thought about waiting until they get closer to $100, but decided that I want to have one before we head to PV for a month on October 23rd. I can use a smaller suitcase! :)

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
Reading at night

How about reading in the dark? I currently have the original Kindle and a small clip on light, it is not the greatest, but in a pinch works. I was wondering if the new one has some kind of light that allows for reading in the dark.

Thank You

donna

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about reading in the dark? I currently have the original Kindle and a small clip on light,....donna

There's no backlight or built-in light. They are selling a cover that has a Kindle-powered light that emerges from the upper right corner for about $60.

I will try a clip-on for a while before getting fancy.... Jim

mo1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
The new light actually runs off the power of the Kindle3, so you don't have to keep changing batteries in book lights.

Kindle does not recommend a backlight; the very earliest e-readers had them, and they had to be removed because of causing serious eye strain.

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Give him the Kindle 2 and see how much he uses it and you could always order the Kindle 3 for him at Christmas if he has Kindle envy.

I just ordered the Kindle 3 too. Hopefully it won't be too back ordered. I have been using my daughters Kindle 1 and it works great but now she can have a chance to use it again.:cheer:

We both already have Kindle2's. And we both love them! Have gotten much use out of them already. Heck, they are probably due to retire as much reading as we both have done. ;)

I REALLY liked having it on that 9 hr flight to hawaii.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
How about reading in the dark? I currently have the original Kindle and a small clip on light, it is not the greatest, but in a pinch works. I was wondering if the new one has some kind of light that allows for reading in the dark.

Thank You

donna

I'm curious about the reading in the dark issue. I don't have a Kindle but I do
have the Kindle for Android App loaded on my Motorola Droid.

With the Kindle App I'm able to read fine in the dark without any extra lighting. The white backdrop provides sufficient lighting for my needs.

My question is - with the Kindle devices - does one really need extra lighting to read in the dark? I'm assuming you've adjusted the font size to meet your reading needs.

Thanks

Richard

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
i just ordered the sony reader, because I could try it for 30 days. Can't wait to get it. Want to have it loaded before our trip to Hawaii in a few weeks. I'm thinking I probably will end up sending it back and getting a wifi version probably a nook.

I wanted to try risk free, in case I don't like it. Wish the nook had the "read to me feature". If they did, I'd buy the nook now.

mo1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no way I can read my Kindle in the dark; there has to be some kind of lighting.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about the reading in the dark issue. I don't have a Kindle but I do
have the Kindle for Android App loaded on my Motorola Droid.

With the Kindle App I'm able to read fine in the dark without any extra lighting. The white backdrop provides sufficient lighting for my needs.

My question is - with the Kindle devices - does one really need extra lighting to read in the dark? I'm assuming you've adjusted the font size to meet your reading needs.

Thanks

Richard

Richard, there is no backlighting AT ALL. With the Kindle on, a dark room is totally dark.

It's not a big deal. I bought a $20 gooseneck LED light. It is supposed to go in a $50 Kindle cover; I taped it to the Kindle with $.01 of Scotch tape. It's held for almost a week; when it tears, I'll retape it, NBD.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine, went back and ordered for both my grown daughters. May cancel my oldest daughters since she really does not read as much, but I know when she sees her sisters she will want one too:)

Why is it when I have waited so long to order one (because I really havent wanted one) and yet now that it is ordered I want it NOW??:annoyed:

mo1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean, Laura. I held out for a while when my husband had a Kindle. Then when I finally ordered one, I thought about it every day.

Talking about book lights - the new Kindle3 has one that attaches to the Kindle and runs off the Kindle battery. Wish I had that - I have the Kindle2.

But there is really no need to have to use tape. For my Kindle2, I ordered a Multi-Edge Kindle cover from the Amazon site for about $45. Then I ordered the matching Multi-Edge light from Amazon for about $20. The light slides into a pocket on the inside of the cover. So it just stays there all of the time with the e-reader. When you close the cover, after finishing reading, the light closes up too on the inside right next to the e-reader. When you open it, you push up the gooseneck light and position it anyway you want for reading. It takes a AAA battery which you might have to change once a month.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was going to order the covers with the lights - but that would have been an extra 180 for the 3 of us!! I know BooksAMillion has different kinds of booklights, so I can check there while at Massanutten next week. I am sure I can find something cheaper than $59. If not - I guess I will break down and order one for my younger daughter at least.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't order the cover or light with mine. There was no price incentive to do so. I will try it sans either for a while, and if I find the need to read in the dark without a light on is just too big a temptation to resist, I'll do something about it. OTOH, if my reading in bed with the nightstand light on bothers the LOML, her Christmas shopping list just got shorter. :)

Jim

mo1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, sorry, Mosca, I should have read your post better. Just now realized you have the light, but not the cover.

Before we had covers, my husband and I tried the clip-on booklights. They worked well, and we did use them for a long time.

The cover and light together is expensive, especially since we were buying for two Kindles. We travel so much that we finally bit the bullet and bought the covers. So we have quite an investment in our Kindles. I would love to buy the Kindle3, but can't justify it at this time, especially with the Kindle2s working so well.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, sorry, Mosca, I should have read your post better. Just now realized you have the light, but not the cover.

Before we had covers, my husband and I tried the clip-on booklights. They worked well, and we did use them for a long time.

The cover and light together is expensive, especially since we were buying for two Kindles. We travel so much that we finally bit the bullet and bought the covers. So we have quite an investment in our Kindles. I would love to buy the Kindle3, but can't justify it at this time, especially with the Kindle2s working so well.

Yep; I didn't want to spend the $45 for a cover that I knew I wasn't going to like, I've never liked covers on devices. For me (not everyone, I understand that), it just makes it larger and heavier, negating two of the things I cherish most in a device of that type.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Richard, there is no backlighting AT ALL. With the Kindle on, a dark room is totally dark.

It's not a big deal. I bought a $20 gooseneck LED light. It is supposed to go in a $50 Kindle cover; I taped it to the Kindle with $.01 of Scotch tape. It's held for almost a week; when it tears, I'll retape it, NBD.

Mosca,

Thanks for your reply. Now I understand better about some Kindle readers wanting separate lights.

Richard

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone get a shipment date yet after the main shipment ran out? I ordered mine about 6 AM Tuesday, August 3rd and haven't received an email yet when to expect a shipment.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone get a shipment date yet after the main shipment ran out? I ordered mine about 6 AM Tuesday, August 3rd and haven't received an email yet when to expect a shipment.

I'm kinda anxious to hear also. The first shipments aren't even scheduled til the 27th. I'd suppose that Amazon doesn't even know when subsequent shipments will go out. There could be cancellations in the first bunch that would move those on a wait list up, or there could be delays in manufacture or shipping that would delay them. It's anybody's guess at this point.

I'd bet it will be general knowledge here when the notices are sent. Meanwhile, I've bought a few books, games, and stuff to transfer onto mine when it arrives.

Maybe it's time to start a 'Kindle Reading Reviews' thread here in the TUG lounge?

Jim Ricks

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got it Yet

Has anyone got their's yet? Mine is currently in Louisville, scheduled to be delivered on Monday.

If you have yours, how do you like it? Did you order an Amazon cover and if so, which one and color, and do you like it?

Nancy

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont have mine yet - but it has been shipped and should arrive Monday also!! i didnt order a cover - I will check locally for something that will work.