• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

what to do with defunct computers?

L

laurac260

I have two defunct computers, one of which is a laptop, the other a desktop. They both crashed before I could retrieve any important info, and no, I did not back them up. Honestly there isn't anything I am missing, but stuff I'd rather not leave on (financial stuff, family pics).

Both are old and I don't see that they would serve me any purpose to keep them and attempt to have them repaired. We currently have two brand new lap tops in the house.

But what to do with them?

if they are recyclable, or can be donated, whatever, I'd be find doing that. But I don't want any personal info in them. What do I remove before donating or recycling?

Also, how long are video monitors usually good for? The desktop monitor is perfectly fine, just not sure about future compatibility issues. I imagine we will get DD a computer at some point in the future, so should I save the monitor, or donate it with the computer?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Computers become obsolete so quickly, I wouldn't bother saving any of it. There is no demand for old used computers with no hard drive, so it's very unlikely that you can donate them to anyone.

Pull the hard drive out and smash it with a hammer and throw it in the trash.

Find out who in your area recycles computers and take the rest of the components to them for recycling. It's dangerous if the monitors are broken.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Waste Not, Want Not.

Our son's employer sponsors a Computer Recycling Day now & then, & we try to get in on that just to reduce some of the bulk from The Museum Of Obsolete Technology down in our basement.

The Chief Of Staff recently noticed a sign indicating there is now computer recycling at a nearby place where formerly we recycled old newspapers, corrugated cartons, plastic & glass containers, etc. Next time we're shucking off busted or obsolete computers, maybe we'll take'm over there instead of waiting for the next Computer Recycling Day.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Our library holds two Computer Collection Days fundraisers each year, spring and fall. We pay a small fee for each component and they take the relics off our hands. I think we have about $25 worth of junk in the basement that we'll be getting rid of soon. But Denise has the right idea - first we'll take out the hard drives and smash them to smithereens. :)

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Buy has a national recycling progam. (In my state, which has a mandatory recycling program, they are a certified recycler.)

You do not have to have bought the computers there. They will want the hard drive removed before they take it. If you don't know how to remove it, I suspect that their service desk will do it for you, but then there might be a charge.

Added: Link

Last edited:

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Computer Recycling is often a scam

60 minutes did an expose of computer recycling companies. Many are simply shipping the junk to indonesia where they are being torn apart by low wage earning, unprotected, indonesians near starvation. In the process, they are polluting (dangerously toxic) the towns they live in. In theory, shipping to these countries is illegal but it is being done anyway.

I am not saying that all companies are doing this, because I don't know - maybe they are. Computer junk is a real problem without a good solution. Developed nations seem to just be dumping the junk on other people in other parts of the world where it is unsafely torn apart to get some usable toxic material. So, what kind of recycling is that supposed to be?

L

laurac260

Thanks everyone. I will pull out the harddrive. Do I need to pull out the memory cards too?

I'm just going to leave them at our curb with the trash. There is a couple people who drive by every trash night and take things people leave out, and they try to fix them. The hard drive is the only thing that is defunct. Perhaps they can get a new hard drive on the cheap and have a computer for their kid.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I will pull out the harddrive. Do I need to pull out the memory cards too?

I'm just going to leave them at our curb with the trash. There is a couple people who drive by every trash night and take things people leave out, and they try to fix them. The hard drive is the only thing that is defunct. Perhaps they can get a new hard drive on the cheap and have a computer for their kid.

If, by memory cards, you mean the DRAM modules, then no, you don't need to yank them out. The modules from both computers probably have some residual value on eBay, however, if the PC's aren't ancient.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Laura - I wouldn't leave it at the curb - it's considered hazerdous waste.

You want to make sure it's recycled properly and doesn't end up in your local landfill.

Many people aren’t aware that there is a certain way to properly dispose of a computer monitor. Many leave monitors by the curb only to let them end up in local landfills. This practice is of great concern because computer monitors contain materials that are considered hazardous waste. When you do not dispose of a computer monitor properly, these materials can seep into the ground, damaging both the soil and ground water, in addition to posing other dangers.

Depending on where you live, the process for disposing of a computer monitor may not be as simple as leaving it on your curb. Environmentalists and others, however, will encourage you to take the extra step or steps to properly dispose of this hazardous waste. How you should dispose of a computer monitor will depend on the services available in your area.
http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-properly-dispose-of-a-computer-monitor.htm

Last edited:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't leave at the curb either. The trash company won't take it, that's for sure.

Fern

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
Call who ever does your waste managment. Our County has certain days and places that you can drop off your old computers for free.

Donna

L

laurac260

Laura - I wouldn't leave it at the curb - it's considered hazerdous waste.

You want to make sure it's recycled properly and doesn't end up in your local landfill.

It's only hazardous waste if it gets disposed of improperly. The people who come by take things to fix. I have no desire to fix them. If they don't take them I will figure out other means. But if it means that people who would not otherwise have access to computers can have one, more power to them.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How do you know that whoever picks it up with dispose of it properly?

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
My first 2-3 computers were all "Saved" from the trash man...You'd be surprised how many people throw out computers because of little things...i've literally replaced fans and/or one memory card and had full computers up and running again

I'd think twice before tossing it laura...those old computers are still Great starter computers...My daughters 4 but she has her own computer that ONLY connects to nickjr.com in her room...a Very simple Pentium 3 933mhz with a $20 video card....And thats Overkill!

I'd bring it into a local computer shop and see what they say...anything over $50 to fix it i'd toss it...but really if its less then that...why not fix it and donate it to a friend with young kids?

L

laurac260

My first 2-3 computers were all "Saved" from the trash man...You'd be surprised how many people throw out computers because of little things...i've literally replaced fans and/or one memory card and had full computers up and running again

I'd think twice before tossing it laura...those old computers are still Great starter computers...My daughters 4 but she has her own computer that ONLY connects to nickjr.com in her room...a Very simple Pentium 3 933mhz with a $20 video card....And thats Overkill!

I'd bring it into a local computer shop and see what they say...anything over $50 to fix it i'd toss it...but really if its less then that...why not fix it and donate it to a friend with young kids?

The laptop computer I think works, but the screen does not. The desktop we bought in 2003, and I am pretty sure the hard drive is crashed. My daughter could use a computer, the problem is that it was very slow even when it did work. I doubt I could get it up and running for less than $50, and I have no desire to put more than that in it. If you can convince me it was WORTH keeping and fixing I might do so. I had called my brother to ask his advice, but he is knee deep in moving into a new house and I need to transform our desk into space for homework and organizing school stuff, so my kitchen and breakfast nook doesn't become schoolwork central again.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you can't fix it yourself - it's not worth keeping. We just replaced a hard drive and it was $60 just for the HD - then you have to know how to install it, and have to buy software. My local computer shop charges $150 to crack the case.

L

laurac260

If you can't fix it yourself - it's not worth keeping. We just replaced a hard drive and it was $60 just for the HD - then you have to know how to install it, and have to buy software. My local computer shop charges $150 to crack the case.

That's what I figured. I'll let someone else take that on then.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Took out the old DeWalt drilled right through the hard drive and tossed the laptop in the trash.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend this. Most modern electronics contain a number of hazzardous metals (and laptops certainly do). From a landfill (which are not as sealed as they might want you to believe) these substances leech into the ground water.

BSQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
not sure where you live, but you might want to check to see if there's a goodwill computer store near you.

When I lived in Charlotte they started up these stores ... if you give them a call they can tell you what they can and can't use of your stuff.

Many of the communities where I've lived have had electronics recycling drives through out the year. You might also check to see if your city does an e-waste day. My hometown does it a couple times a year, one in conjunction with their beautiful city campaign (they haul anything off for free). :)

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
We have an environmental tax in Ontario now on almost all electronics but that doesn't help us get rid of them...just another excuse for a new tax.

Brian