• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New York City

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
My kids and I will have 1.5 days to sightsee in NYC. We were thinking about getting the explorer pass or the city pass. Which is better or is there a different one we should buy? How much can we see in only 1.5 days (Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday)? TIA

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
My kids and I will have 1.5 days to sightsee in NYC. We were thinking about getting the explorer pass or the city pass. Which is better or is there a different one we should buy? How much can we see in only 1.5 days (Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday)? TIA
My recommendation would be to take the open top sightseeing bus. It would be the most efficient way to see the most sights, and it's nice to have a guide pointing out all the interesting things.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
The on/off bus is a great way to see the city. You could get off and see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. That could take a good part of a day if you do the entire tour. There are some great museums. Make a reservation for dinner and then go to a show.

Donna

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you WANT to do or see?

American Museum of Natural History
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Statue of Liberty
Top of the Rock
Empire State Building
Ground Zero
Radio City Music Hall

Will we be able to see all this in 1.5 days?

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
Statue of Liberty
Top of the Rock
Empire State Building
Ground Zero
Radio City Music Hall

Sure. Spend half day at the museums then spend the full day on the open air bus tour.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by "see". How old are the kids? Sounds like you are talking about a weekend, so there will be peak tourist activity and lines can be long. CityPass and Explorer both have their own ticket lines at many of these attractions, but those could still be long since many others will also probably be using them. You can view the Statue of Liberty from Battery Park, but if you want to go out to the statue, it will be a MINIMUM of 2 hours. If you want to go up into the crown (seperate ticket required than what's included with your City or Explorer pass), it will be longer. If you are planning a tour of Radio City, they schedule them for about an hour. The Empire State Building is very popular and will have long lines. CityPass bypasses the regular line - sort of - once you are inside they have their own, but they limit the number of people who can be inside so it can take some time to reach the inside. You could easily spend the better part of a day at the Met as well.

Having said all that, the CityPass gives you a shot at seeing the things on your list for a pretty good price, even if you can't squeeze them all in. The Explorer pass you build a la carte, so I don't know where that is pricing out for your itinerary. I usually find them both to be pretty good values, even if your itinerary is a little ambitious for the time you have. (Think taking a drink of water from a firehose). NYC is always somewhat like that anyway. It's a great city with so much to see that it's always necessary to return anyway, so just enjoy it and see what you can. :)

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Statue of Liberty
Top of the Rock
Empire State Building
Ground Zero
Radio City Music Hall

I would skip the Empire State Building as the "Top of the Rock" is much better and quicker.

We have done all of the Hop On/Hop Off bus tours in NYC. There are basically 4 different tour routes. There is Uptown, Downtown, Brooklyn, and Night. With your limited time, I would do both the Uptown and Downtown tours. They do NOT do the Statue of liberty nor Ellis island. You need to do a different tour ( boat ) for those. Here is a link to a tour that covers just about everything.

http://www.onboardnewyorktours.com/ny-see-it-all/

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I took my son when he was going into 5th grade. We both loved the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. If your kids are school age, Ellis Island is an incredible piece of American History. Just walking into the primary room is amazing, as it is as big or bigger than a football field. They have pictures and interesting exhibits of immigration.
Liz

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We loved the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building. I want to go back! We spent a few days in New York with the kids in high school and college, and the girls went into Macy's. Maybe the boys were with us, but we didn't notice them, if they did. Maybe that was the voice telling me I had shopped enough, and it wasn't just in my head? :rofl:

Laura and I loved Macy's. I would love to take her and our granddaughter there someday!