• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do People Still Go the the Library?

Catira

TUG Member
Reaction score
We do..

I take advantage of borrowing books quite frequently from the library. Love the fact that I can search and reserve my books online. Also, if an item is not available, they can do a nationwide search and locate the item for me to borrow.

Love going in with my son, he goes in, reads his comic books, and I get a chance to read a couple of magazines. I love the fact that both of my kiddos love to read. In fact, when we were at the optometrist, he noticed we all had books with us. He mentioned that it had been a while since he had seen his patients with a book, instead of a game console.:)

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a retired school librarian, I miss "my" library.
Since I retired, I started buying fiction at sales, and built up quite a library of my own of "want to read someday" fiction. Our local AAUW [American Association of University Women] has an annual book sale that is supposed to be one of the largest in the country and makes over 50,000 towards scholarships for girls and women. I donate a lot to them. I also have a passion [or addiction] to buying books about every place I have been, so I have a lot of coffee-table style books too.

I got a Kindle last spring, so my fiction shelves are dwindling [they used to always be full, as I added more than I got rid of] and my coffee-table stuff is about the same.

Public library - I go sometimes, for something I cannot get anywhere else. Hours have been cut back so much that whenever I want to go get something, it is closed.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
Absolutely, love the library. I also have a kindle (one of the first ones's out) that I use for travel, but for everyday use you can't beat the library. I reserve what I want online and they let me know when my selection is available for pickup.

Donna

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Our local library is turning into a community center. We have the same computer room and electronic media as most of you, but we also have a weekly column from the library director in the local paper with info about all the happenings and more and more groups/clubs are utilizing the meeting space. The children's room is the entire third floor and it's the happiest place in town! So even though e-readers have had an effect on the number of fiction books that are taken out, the library has re-invented itself to provide a service that's not found elsewhere.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got home from- you guessed it- the library. I needed to return some DVDs we checked out to watch on an RV trip over the long weekend. Sometimes a campfire isn't enough. DW is doing research for next season's Symphony program notes that she writes. Those materials aren't due for some more time. I saw a group of kids being read to while I was there, and the library is the repository of thousands of historical glass-plate negatives of our town and area when it was first settled. They have all been digitized and can be viewed online or checked out.

We and many others use our library.

Jim Ricks

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have gotten lazy about visiting the library. Whenever I need a book, I place it on hold (online) and then run into the branch and pick it p when I get notice that it has arrived.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I go to the library all the time.

It is especially good if you think you might want to read a book and then find that after the first 100 pages its not great. You arent out anything.

If I find an author that I love and I read the first book then I might go on to Ebay and buy the other books he rights. For example Lee Child "Killing Floor" is a Jack Reacher Novel. I really liked the book so I bought the rest of the series for $10 on Ebay.

I was #1000? for Mockingjay so I just bought that book. I will then pass it around to 4 others that are reading the series. So who is the library?

pranas

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do. Our library has a wonderful foreign film collection (DVDs). There are always lots of people at the libraries in my area..

sushitex

TUG Member
Reaction score
I certainly hope so!

I go to the library at least 5 times a week, because I work at one; I'm a children's librarian at our local public library.I've been there 9 of the 10 years that it has been open, but I started out as a senior library aide (circulation desk worker) and was promoted while earning my M.L.S.

My spouse wanted to buy me an e-reader for our anniversary, but I told him that I'd rather have a netbook (which is what I received.) I guess I'm "old-school" when it comes to reading - I love the feel of a book, and while I haven't tried an e-book, I have listened to maybe two books on cd or tape and had no desire to listen to anymore. It's just not the same as "inventing" the voices of the characters from a book in my mind.

Anyway, I have not noticed any decline of people coming into our library branch.

To see an article about our 10-year anniversary (which we are currently celebrating), go to:
http://www.caller.com/news/2010/sep/07/harte-library-celebrates-10-years-in-flour-bluff/
I'm not the lady in the photo (that is my boss, the branch manager)

Last edited:

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
I go to the library at least 5 times a week, because I work at one; I'm a children's librarian at our local public library.I've been there 9 of the 10 years that it has been open, but I started out as a senior library aide (circulation desk worker) and was promoted while earning my M.L.S.

My spouse wanted to buy me an e-reader for our anniversary, but I told him that I'd rather have a netbook (which is what I received.) I guess I'm "old-school" when it comes to reading - I love the feel of a book, and while I haven't tried an e-book, I have listened to maybe two books on cd or tape and had no desire to listen to anymore. It's just not the same as "inventing" the voices of the characters from a book in my mind.

Anyway, I have not noticed any decline of people coming into our library branch.
To see an article about our 10-year anniversary (which we are currently celebrating), go to:
http://www.caller.com/news/2010/sep/07/harte-library-celebrates-10-years-in-flour-bluff/
I'm not the lady in the photo (that is my boss, the branch manager)

I never thought that I wanted an e-reader either:) I love it!! I also do NOT like books on tape, for the same reason. It is like watching a movie of a book you have read, and the actors are not at all who you pictured.

I have brought my Kindle to the airport to pick up my sister, to the optometrist to wait for my appointment, and to work with me everyday.

When I get home and sit and relax - I still want my "real" book in my hand. I love the library, and book stores.

PClapham

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
I have avoided buying a Kindle because I think it isn't useful for ebooks at the library-am I wrong? I love the library and ours has lots of ebooks so I need a reader that can access them. Do you have to buy all books for the Kindle?

Our library does scads of things- knitting night, movie night, summer lunches for school kids, lots of computers-even a professional theater for plays- real community center.

Anita

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I understand is that there is at least one program (Calibre) that will convert the files so that you can use the library books on Kindle. I have not tried it yet.

Will Calibre also convert Sony ebooks to Kindle format?? My sister has Sony, I have Kindle. She has her books on a memory card, also.