• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pros and Cons?

JanB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased 94,500 annual Wyndham points at Dolphin's Cove to use and to trade. Now I'm looking for more. I'm looking at both Grand Desert, Las Vegas or Old Town Alexandria, to use and to trade. My goal is to have approx. 250,000 annual points.

My questions:
1. After reading much information, I have deciphered that I can combine my account, but need to watch that my annual renewal dates coincide with each other, eg 1/1-12/31 annually. True?

2. Would it be better to watch for a single large package of ~154,000 points or would 2 smaller packages of 77,000 points be OK?

3. If I purchase an EOY, will these points be added to my account on an EOY basis?

4. Should I just watch for annual points and forget about EOYs?

5. What are the major pros and cons of owning at more than one resort and combining points?

6. Are maintenance fees collected per resort or per point structure as in Worldmark?

Jan

Last edited:

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased 94,500 annual Wyndham points at Dolphin's Cove to use and to trade. Now I'm looking for more. I'm looking at both Grand Desert, Las Vegas or Old Town Alexandria, to use and to trade. My goal is to have approx. 250,000 annual points.

My questions:
1. After reading much information, I have deciphered that I can combine my account, but need to watch that my annual renewal dates coincide with each other, eg 1/1-12/31 annually. True?
No, I have different use year, I feel better that way, some people want the same use year so they feel they can count the point better.
2. Would it be better to watch for a single large package of ~154,000 points or would 2 smaller packages of 77,000 points be OK?
As long as the total cost are the same (purchase + closing + resort transfer fee), will you care? However, make sure each package will at least be able to get you the size of room you want in the home resort at prime time. It is O.k. if you have 2 package all deed at the same resort, but sometime, some untrained VC will make mistake and does not allow you to combine them in ARP period.

3. If I purchase an EOY, will these points be added to my account on an EOY basis?
For transaction and collecting MF, it will be as 1/2 of the point value. For usuage, it will be given at the EOY base.

Why? It is upto you, I like EOY, it give me more point EOY to make reservation at Prime time in the home resort if I want

5. What are the major pros and cons of owning at more than one resort and combining points?
Owning multiple resorts
Pro
1. You have ARP right on every resort you own
2. Your MF is based on each resort, so you may reduce the chance of getting big SA hit
Con
1. You get to read multiple letters on budget of each resort, some people find it very confuse
2. You get to manage more than 1 contracts, image you want ARP on one and not the other, some people don't want to involve these
3. You get SA hit only on one resort, some people feel peace on that

6. Are maintenance fees collected per resort or per point structure as in Worldmark?
Jan

It is per resort

Jya-Ning

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No one answer

My questions:

Jan

I see no need to have the same start dates on the contracts - in fact having two different can work out to be an advantage.

Smaller packages cost more to close & can cost more to maintain. Advise finding one annual that meets your need.

Owning at more than one resort spread the ARP but only applies to points at that resort. Fees may also be different (better is relative).

Just be sure to buy resale. Everything else is gravy.

acesneights

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can only ARP up to points you own at each resort, so with several small packages you will not be able to ARP an entire week at prime time at any one resort.

Stan

JanB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK. Thank you everyone. You have answered my questions very well. TUGgers are really great.

I'm going to look for one package large enough to book what I want at a resort I would like to go to, resale of course! Only paying 1 closing cost and membership transfer fee is a very good point.

So, because of your excellent advice, I will search for an EY or EOY and not worry about the anniversary month.