• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would it even be worth my while to try to rent my DVC reservations out?

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have 4 nights over Thanksgiving at [one resort] and 4 nights over Xmas (22-26th) at [another resort], both in one bedrooms. I'm thinking of renting them out because none of us want to stay at [this resort] ever again and we may make other plans for XMas. The points are banked from last year and have to be used by Feb. so I can't really just cancel and use them on something else in the future. Is it even worth my while to try to rent these or should I cancel and just try to rent the points? Also, do people rent directly anymore or mostly use the broker who rents the points for you? What is the going rate for rentals anymore? It's been a long time since I've been in this position...we used to use all of our [timeshare] points and then some every year.

Last edited by a moderator:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take a look at MouseOwners; they have a healthy marketplace for reservations-for-rent, and that will give you a sense for the market.

Of course, there is no reason not to try to do both at the same time; keep the reservations and list them for rent, but also list the points for rent/transfer as well.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since those are holiday reservations, you should be able to rent them. You will have lots of people asking if you can change dates, but if you are clear in your ad that you can't, just ignore those questions and wait for a serious person who can read.

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since those are holiday reservations, you should be able to rent them. You will have lots of people asking if you can change dates, but if you are clear in your ad that you can't, just ignore those questions and wait for a serious person who can read.

Thanks. I don't want to mess with changing dates or resorts. I haven't had much luck changing my home resort for Thanksgiving in the past so I wouldn't bother trying now. I'll look at mousesavers. Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't sure if disboards was still the place for rentals or if people went through the guy who rents out the points for you or what.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't want to mess with changing dates or resorts. I haven't had much luck changing my home resort for Thanksgiving in the past so I wouldn't bother trying now. I'll look at mousesavers. Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't sure if disboards was still the place for rentals or if people went through the guy who rents out the points for you or what.

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

That's a link to the best place to rent your reservations. You should read it before you place an ad. It will give you a good idea what people are charging/paying and help you construct the ad. Be very clear and don't bother answering people if they make unreasonable requests. You have very high demand reservations.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Boardwalk?

If I can be nosey, why didn't you like the Boardwalk?

Last edited:

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I can be nosey, why didn't you like the Boardwalk?

It was in rough shape the last time we stayed there, and our unit was so bad that they gave us a $300 room credit and we got an apologetic call from DVC member satisfaction. It was Thanksgiving so they couldn't move us unfortunately. After that we decided to never stay there again unless it had been fully renovated. It's our home resort though unfortunately, so if we book at 11 months it's got to be there, and we can't always change the res at 7 months due to availability.

ETA - We own there because years ago when it was new-ish it was actually really nice.

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
How recently was your last stay? We made similar observations in 2011. Things (like cabinet doors) were falling apart. I would have expected them to have refurbished by now.

This was in Nov. 2013. They said no refurbishment slated when they called us back, but they said that pictures like ours help them support the need for a refurb.

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband is hoping we can change it to a different resort, but I have not had luck with that over Thanksgiving in the past. I'm going to keep trying, but at some point I think I need to give up and try to rent it out.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like they're actually in the middle of a refurbishment right now. You might want to call and ask about it, and request a refurbished room.

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100361

Interesting. They didn't say that the bathrooms were getting refurbished though, and those were truly the worst part of the units we stayed in most recently there. It's funny but on that thread someone says that BCV units are a wreck and need a refurb, so maybe my plan to try to stay there instead isn't a good one:rolleyes:

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
BCV is one of my favorites (but mainly in warmer weather -- because of the pools -- but also for the shorter walking distance to Epcot and the more relaxed theme), but I do seem to recall that the unit wasn't in as pristine of shape last time we stayed there. That's been a couple years, though, so it could have gone downhill even more.

If the condition of the unit is such an important factor, you might consider Bay Lake Towers. It's always been in great shape when we've stayed there, the units are bigger, and you can walk to MK.

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
BCV is one of my favorites (but mainly in warmer weather -- because of the pools -- but also for the shorter walking distance to Epcot and the more relaxed theme), but I do seem to recall that the unit wasn't in as pristine of shape last time we stayed there. That's been a couple years, though, so it could have gone downhill even more.

If the condition of the unit is such an important factor, you might consider Bay Lake Towers. It's always been in great shape when we've stayed there, the units are bigger, and you can walk to MK.

Yeah, I will look at getting in there too, although I haven't had luck at Thanksgiving in the past. The really funny thing is that when we got a call back about that BWV unit the person we talked to said that the 2 places she gets the most calls about re:condition are BWV and BLT! It was weird because BLT wasn't very old at that point and we had never been in a bad unit there. I guess there are some tho.

ETA - We have enjoyed BCV when we stayed there...I agree that the units weren't pristine, but the pool situation over there made up for that...the units weren't BWV bad when we stayed there, but it has been a few years for us too so who knows.

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at BWV this February. Our unit was not recently renovated but the paint looked fresh and we had no maintenance issues. I think the bad unit you got before was an exception rather than the norm.

freediverdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was under the understanding that the refurb is almost complete over at BWV, so you might want to go back there, I don't know. I know it was a complete soft goods refurb, the flooring, artwork, painting, bedding, furniture even (sofas were replaced even from what I understand). They did keep the tiling behind the sink if that's what you didn't like though.

On the other hand, the Beach Club Villas refurb has been delayed until sometime next year, to let workers start on the Wilderness Lodge build. So BCV rooms probably aren't in very good shape right now.

djohn06

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Hilton Head, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk and AKV
Vistana SBP and SVV
Harborside
WKV & WKORN
Bluegreen Harbor Lights
Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk
Wyndam Great Smokey Mountains
Quarterhouse New Orleans
Laguna Surf
Marriott Monarch
I stayed a refurbished BWV room in May. It also had a Boarwalk view. My understanding is, they refurb is at the top and working its way down. So maybe asking for a higher floor will help you out. BCV will be refurbished too.

I even bought more BWV points this month because of the refurb.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you go back.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
BCV won't start refurbishment until sometime in 2016. The date has been pushed back from 2015. BWV should be completed in late 2015.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed a refurbished BWV room in May. It also had a Boarwalk view. My understanding is, they refurb is at the top and working its way down. So maybe asking for a higher floor will help you out. BCV will be refurbished too.

I even bought more BWV points this month because of the refurb.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you go back.

I saw pics of the "new" Boardwalk Villas in our member magazine and it looks so much better than the original. I always hated being there because everything was falling apart. Now, I may consider checking it out again. I actually sold those Boardwalk Villas points years ago.

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
We ended up cancelling our XMas reservation and banking the points, and we are still trying to change the BWV res. to another resort for Thanksgiving. I saw the newly renovated room pics also...while they look nice, there is no guarantee of getting a renovated room. At this point, we are likely going to just sell the DVC. We have struggled to use the points for the past couple of years, and now we have a large amount of points banked for next year.