• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Don't forget VRBO this holiday season...

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
You could buy Marriott Manor Club for $8000 and $845 annual fees and get membership in the Ford's Colony Golf Course's 54 holes for 6 games a week included. That's a pretty good deal. :D

Brian

It surprises me that nobody compares joining a DCs with joining a private golf club or even a resort like the Boca Raton Resort and Spa.

vivalour

TUG Member
Reaction score
It surprises me that nobody compares joining a DCs with joining a private golf club or even a resort like the Boca Raton Resort and Spa.

Too often TUGers compare a DC to a TS and they should really compare it to a private golf or spa club.

Bill, I have to disagree and find this comparison faulty for a few reasons:
1. Golf and tennis clubs (don't know much about spas) are usually rooted in a community with known owners, and some kind of local business links. DCs are remotely run (to most members) by unknown owners.
2. DCs' business consists of buying and managing a large real estate portfolio while keeping a happy client base. A much more complicated business than running a golf/tennis club imo.
3. The industry is still new and evolving. It's hard to judge the value of your membership in one club, when the competition is always coming out with new features and deals. In other words, there is no one tried and true model.
Although there is a superficial likeness between DCs and clubs, I think there are enough differences to keep many people on the sidelines until the industry has more of a history.

S

Steamboat Bill

You could buy Marriott Manor Club for $8000 and $845 annual fees and get membership in the Ford's Colony Golf Course's 54 holes for 6 games a week included. That's a pretty good deal. :D

Brian

I actually own MMC....cost per night = $180 per night for a 2 bedroom or $90 per bedroom. Thus, HCC with 3 bedroom properties average at $300 per night is almost the same cost per bedroom. The kitchen, living rooms, etc are a free bonus. I really like the MMC property and the "free golf" but most HCC properties are far superior to MMC.

Bill, I have to disagree and find this comparison faulty for a few reasons:
1. Golf and tennis clubs (don't know much about spas) are usually rooted in a community with known owners, and some kind of local business links. DCs are remotely run (to most members) by unknown owners.
2. DCs' business consists of buying and managing a large real estate portfolio while keeping a happy client base. A much more complicated business than running a golf/tennis club imo.
3. The industry is still new and evolving. It's hard to judge the value of your membership in one club, when the competition is always coming out with new features and deals. In other words, there is no one tried and true model.
Although there is a superficial likeness between DCs and clubs, I think there are enough differences to keep many people on the sidelines until the industry has more of a history.

I am NOT comparing the "business" of a DC vs golf club, I am comparing the cost, benefits, and satisfaction of their members. I know over a dozen people that have spent $50,000-$200,000 to join a private golf club or private resort. The only benefit is getting to play golf, eat at the clubhouse, hang out by the pool, hob-nob with others, etc. When I tell these people about DCs and describe it as a private club where you get to use upscale properties, they immediately understand. The funny thing is nobody questions the business model of DCs or compares them to timeshares....only TUGers do that.

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
i agree with bill here, DCs are MEMBERSHIP based, not OWNERSHIP based.

it seems to me thats part of what perry doesnt like. he wants clubs to have to accept anybody and have to have no standards or ability to set their own prices etc. personally, i like things to be closer to "invite only." i dont qualify for amex centurion right now, but i dont want them to lower their requirements, because that would only ensure faster decrease of benefits.

IMHO theyre comparable to high end fractionals, even though theyre ownership based, because theyre the same kind of luxury commodity.

the luxury market is NOT affected by the media, at all..

Last edited:

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I’ve said many times before, someday we will buy a DC membership – I suspect that when that happens that DC will be considerably different than the model currently used, or a new one will come around and my “throw away” tolerance of $35k will have us in a club that offers at least 2 holiday weeks per year. I can’t guess which will come first.

I also suspect that we will be in units that are a bit better than high end Westins/Marriotts but not above $1 M.

Until then I’ll keep reading the exploits of DC owners.

Bourne

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 holiday weeks for < 35K... :)

It's not gonna happen. Impossible with an equity model...

Then again, for a bit more I would recommend HCC Affiliate with a customized option.

For 45K(40 + 5), you could get 25 days with 2 holiday weeks. Its not too far from your 35K limit and HCC is a reasonably safe bet with 400+ actual members.

GOLFNBEACH

Reaction score
I am NOT comparing the "business" of a DC vs golf club, I am comparing the cost, benefits, and satisfaction of their members.

I've used the country club analogy before, but I'm not sure it really fits. I suppose there are numerous reasons for joining a CC, but the main benefits are the ability to play golf and socialize at an exclusive club - a club where outsiders do not have access. Most DCs that I am familiar with will accept anyone who is willing to write a check.

When you join a DC you generally travel with your existing circle of family and friends - not with the DC membership.

Tedpilot

Reaction score
Shocker....?

I feel compelled to go back to the original thought Perry had w/ VRBO. I have had average to poor experiences w/ VRBO...units are in the right place but tend to have poor finishings, are tired, or the reservation process was cumbersome and that all drove me crazy. I did have much better luck w/ some of the villa rental sites, particularly those that deal with the Carribean. I once snagged a very nice 5 bedroom villa in St Lucia w/ a daily maid/chef, private pool and ocean front for less than $300/night and that was at the end of the prime season. BTW, St Lucia is over rated, I'll never go back.

Shocker #1: When I was doing my due dilligence on HCC in Nov/Dec 05' I scoured for every piece of info about HCC I could find - the people, the registration of the company, telephone numbers, etc...I didn't want to be had by a scam. During that search I came across a couple of VRBO ads that were HCC units!!! This struck me very oddly, but when I asked Heath about these ads he said that they did list them. He said it was to gain some income and expose the properties and concept to a potential market segment which made perfect sense. My concern was that they might book up time that I thought was for the exclussive use of HCC members.

The reality is that they shortly there-after quit the VRBO angle. Maybe a few months later once they got some momentum with memberships. I can say I'd do the same thing when I had just 20 members too. In any case it did not last long and I have not seen this practice since then.

Shocker #2: VRBO does have some quality units in their system but by and large HCC prices per night are better. If you look at the units down in Playa Del Carmen you'll see direct comparisons of apples vs apples with the Luna Encantada units listed. Off season you can get one of the Luna units almost as cheap as you can through your HCC membership, otherwise they are much more expensive per night through private parties. Of course, this is just this one location and I have not done much research of other comparable units.

I do describe the semantics of the DC concept similar to a golf or country club concept and those in the know understand this simple analogy. I've had a few friends jump in and join HCC too, they see the inherent value and the added benefits of what the staff provides. They have questioned the financial model but each of them has felt comfortable enough to send in a check.

It does appear to me that the DC industry will not now or ever be able to provide what Perry is looking for. I also doubt that he could ever out-perform what most DCs offer by using the listings in VRBO without spending in excessive amount of time to get just the right unit at the right time with significant negotiations either. Even if he did, he would lose some of the non-tangible value of membership services through the respective DCs.

vivalour

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tedpilot,
Thanks for your input re "shockers". Interesting points. We are about to hop off the fence and join HCC as well -- good to hear they had enough integrity and sense to admit why they were listing HCC properties for rent. I gather HCC's second "brithday" is in November. They have come a long way!

Tedpilot

Reaction score
Vivalour - Glad to hear that you are moving on your decision to join. I've only had good experiences in dealing w/ HCC and they have always answered my questions quickly and in a straight forward manner. Two attributes I really appreciate. I also did not feel like I was dealing with snake-oil salesman during the due dilligence phase, they answered questions, never pushed for a "sale" and were readily available to discuss my concerns for this emerging sector of travel. So far so good, I hope they keep up the great service!

Ted