• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham timeshares converted to points

handball50

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am seeing ads on TUG and Ebay of offers of Wyndham timeshares that were converted to points. I am interested in the offers but want to take some due diligence. Does anyone know how/why Wyndham converts those timeshares, and do they bundle them to brokers who sell? I am guessing those converted timeshares are heavily discounted at sale and wonder if there is anyway to know the price sold before I make a bid. Are there any pitfalls to buying these converted points which are described as Wyndham Plus Points? Do they work the same as the Wyndham Plus Points that I own now (and so foolishly bought at retail)? I have read post that suggest $.01 per point to be a reasonable cost although others claim points could be had cheaper. Also, I am aware to look for properties with Maintenance Fee (MF) ratios (Annual MF/1000's of points) below 5. One Ebay offer included paying for closing costs (a seller who has a history of selling timeshares), so I am wondering how they make money on this deal. Any feedback would be appreciated.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
One Ebay offer included paying for closing costs (a seller who has a history of selling timeshares), so I am wondering how they make money on this deal. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Many of the big eBay sellers are timeshare rescue companies. The original owner paid them a large fee to "take the timeshare off their hands," and the re-seller is just trying to dump it on eBay, so they don't have to make any money on it.

That alone doesn't mean it's not a good deal for someone - I have adopted a number of free Wyndham weeks from eBay.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am seeing ads on TUG and Ebay of offers of Wyndham timeshares that were converted to points. I am interested in the offers but want to take some due diligence. Does anyone know how/why Wyndham converts those timeshares, and do they bundle them to brokers who sell? I am guessing those converted timeshares are heavily discounted at sale and wonder if there is anyway to know the price sold before I make a bid. Are there any pitfalls to buying these converted points which are described as Wyndham Plus Points? Do they work the same as the Wyndham Plus Points that I own now (and so foolishly bought at retail)? I have read post that suggest $.01 per point to be a reasonable cost although others claim points could be had cheaper. Also, I am aware to look for properties with Maintenance Fee (MF) ratios (Annual MF/1000's of points) below 5. One Ebay offer included paying for closing costs (a seller who has a history of selling timeshares), so I am wondering how they make money on this deal. Any feedback would be appreciated.

To understand converted fixed weeks you need a history lesson

What we know as Club Wyndham grew out of the old Fairfield Resorts, which was a collection of fixed weeks resorts

When Wyndham began creating the all points resorts (UDI or undivided interest) they wanted to bring all those weeks and weeks owners into the points system so they began a high pressure sales effort to "convert" weeks to points. so the owners could then participate in the points system they were creating

Not everyone converted so now we have weeks owners at the former Fairfield resorts, converted weeks owners, and sometimes UDI owners

Wyndham is not selling converted weeks, but these weeks can still be created by spending some money with Wyndham, and these converted weeks still trade on the secondary market

So what you see on ebay or any secondary marketplace is what some owner is selling, and like all secondary market transactions are heavely discounted from what Wyndham sells their stuff for

The Wyndham system is for the most part based on a "home resort" concept where your points are symbolic of a deeded ownership at a specific resort., (either UDI or Converted week) and the maintenance fees are resort specific, which is why you see maintenance fees that vary, ownership to ownership. To your statement that under $5/1000 points is good: That was the advice I got 5 years ago when I first started buying.. But fees have been going up and I would say 6 is the new 5

There is another wrinkle to understand. Wyndham has created a Club within the Club, called Club Wyndham Access. (CWA) A CWA owner does not have a deed, rather he has a certificate of ownweship, He is a member of the Club and the Club holds the deeds. A lot of what CWA owns are converted fixed week that they have picked up through foreclosure. So in a sense Wyndham is still converting fixed weeks, but you cant buy one from them except indirectly, by buying a CWA membership

Bottom line points are points and they all work the same at the 10 month mark when making reservations. There are only two reasons to buy or not buy a particular contract, and they are the Advanced Reservation Priority they get and of course the maintenance fee rate, But these are discussions for another day

regarding a fair price Yes a penny a point is a fair price depending on the fees and whether or not its a popular place for ARP. for example Ill pay more for New Orleans, others go for Glacier Canyon or Daytona Beach. . Last Summer I couldnt get anything for less than a penny and a half, but over the last 9 months Ive averaged about 1/3 cent per point and my last purchase was just $330 for 339000 points and the seller paid the closing costs

How do they make money?... They bought it for less or they are a broker working for a fixed rate fee and the seller just wants out, really bad

The base price on the secondary market has been set by Wyndham in that they will take back almost everything they have ever sold , Their price is zero, so even a few dollars on ebay is better than what wyndham is offering

Very little Wyndham points go through the so called timeshare rescue companies any more because Wyndham will take them back without a fee

Last edited:

handball50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham Timeshares Conversion to Points

Thanks so much for your quick replies. This information is very helpful and I am grateful to be part of the TUG community.