• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sapphire Valley, NC...Anyone??

james1966

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes next weekend I will be headed to Sapphire Valley. I' ve read a few reviews but most are old. Rooms are rooms but any advise for the area. I will be bringing my wife, 2 sixteen year olds and a 5 year old. Seems to be much to do at the resort. We plan to go the Biltmore House and I also hear things about the waterfalls around Sapphire Valley. Grocery stores, the city of Cashiers???? Thanks
James

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes next weekend I will be headed to Sapphire Valley. I' ve read a few reviews but most are old. Rooms are rooms but any advise for the area. I will be bringing my wife, 2 sixteen year olds and a 5 year old. Seems to be much to do at the resort. We plan to go the Biltmore House and I also hear things about the waterfalls around Sapphire Valley. Grocery stores, the city of Cashiers???? Thanks
James

I am very interested in how you like it, as this is on my list of resorts/locations I'd like to visit.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You could spend everyday hiking to a different waterfall. Cashiers is a cute little town, with a few really high-end places to eat (lots of ATL $ in Cashiers.) it's a beautiful time to be there. Enjoy, and report back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

makersforme

Reaction score
We are heading there in Mid July. Interested in what your opinion is when you get back. We are doing several of the hikes and I think the Biltmore and heading to Atlanta for one day.

dwilkes

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm also interested in how you like it.

If you plan to spend time in Asheville, check out The North Carolina Arboretum.

geekette

Reaction score
with kids you might consider gem mining and canoeing the French Broad River. It's a beautiful area. Warning that the kids might get bored at Biltmore. I'm not sure if discount tickets can be found but I would sure look.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
If the weather is good for it when you visit the Biltmore Estate, you may enjoy renting bikes in Antler Hill Village and riding the paths along the river or up into the hills on the Estate. Lots of fun with kids and such a pretty area. They also offer segway tours, kayaking, horseback trail rides, four-wheeling... much more pricey than the bikes! In Biltmore Village, which is just outside the entrance to the Biltmore Estate, there are art galleries, unique upscale shops and restaurants.

Downtown Asheville, in the area of the "flat iron building" and the Grove Arcade historic district, as well as down Broadway and Lexington Avenues, there's foodie paradise. Plenty of eclectic shops. This is a very adult oriented area though, not much for kids. Exit 50 off I-40 is your exit for the Biltmore Estate. Off exit 51, there's a Fun Depot kid & teen friendly arcade with go carts, mini-golf, climbing wall, laser tag.

Also in Asheville, exit 33 off I-26 has several things to do. In one direction, the WNC Farmers Market offers locally produced foods, crafts and tourist memorabilia at great prices. In the other direction, Asheville Outlets is anchored by a Field & Stream store and a southeast division Dillard's Outlet. 2 miles past the Outlets on Rt. 191, the North Carolina Arboretum is on your right, with walking trails (there is a fee to enter). On your left is the French Broad River and a Zen Tubing rental site.

Also next to the Arboretum, there's an entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Go north and visit the BRP Visitors' Center or the Folk Art Center with mountain crafts (pottery, quilts, woodworking, glassworks). Go south and drive to Mount Pisgah (nice hike with views, also a restaurant with awesome views from a wall of windows). Note that further south of Mount Pisgah, there's another entrance/exit of the BRP in Brevard, when you can pick up Rt. 64 to get back to Cashiers. Further south on the BRP, there's a wonderful hike to Black Balsam Knob wilderness area, again with amazing views. All of this could easily fill much more than a day, so not really doable on the same full day as a Biltmore Estate visit.

Closer to Cashiers, the town of Brevard has some nice restaurants. Depending on when you visit, Brevard College (known for strong Fine Arts programs) may have musical or drama productions, with college pricing. Another option for live entertainment is Flat Rock Playhouse, closer to Hendersonville, with theater pricing.

Sapphire Valley is a very pretty area. Winding roads, so take it slow and watch for deer and other wildlife in the road. The front desk ought to be able to recommend various waterfall hikes - lots of them within 20 minutes' drive. For something different, drive out on I-40 to exit 20 and follow the signs for Cataloochie, more winding roads (some gravel roadway along sleep embankments, not for the faint-hearted). At the end of the road in, you'll come to a protected valley that's been repopulated with elk. No services except port-o-johns and a handful of park rangers so bring a picnic and beverages. But it's a pleasant visit. Have a great time!

Last edited:

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the weather is good for it when you visit the Biltmore Estate, you may enjoy renting bikes in Antler Hill Village and riding the paths along the river or up into the hills on the Estate. Lots of fun with kids and such a pretty area. They also offer segway tours, kayaking, horseback trail rides, four-wheeling... much more pricey than the bikes! In Biltmore Village, which is just outside the entrance to the Biltmore Estate, there are art galleries, unique upscale shops and restaurants.

Downtown Asheville, in the area of the "flat iron building" and the Grove Arcade historic district, as well as down Broadway and Lexington Avenues, there's foodie paradise. Plenty of eclectic shops. This is a very adult oriented area though, not much for kids. Exit 50 off I-40 is your exit for the Biltmore Estate. Off exit 51, there's a Fun Depot kid & teen friendly arcade with go carts, mini-golf, climbing wall, laser tag.

Also in Asheville, exit 33 off I-26 has several things to do. In one direction, the WNC Farmers Market offers locally produced foods, crafts and tourist memorabilia at great prices. In the other direction, Asheville Outlets is anchored by a Field & Stream store and a southeast division Dillard's Outlet. 2 miles past the Outlets on Rt. 191, the North Carolina Arboretum is on your right, with walking trails (there is a fee to enter). On your left is the French Broad River and a Zen Tubing rental site.

Also next to the Arboretum, there's an entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Go north and visit the BRP Visitors' Center or the Folk Art Center with mountain crafts (pottery, quilts, woodworking, glassworks). Go south and drive to Mount Pisgah (nice hike with views, also a restaurant with awesome views from a wall of windows). Note that further south of Mount Pisgah, there's another entrance/exit of the BRP in Brevard, when you can pick up Rt. 64 to get back to Cashiers. Further south on the BRP, there's a wonderful hike to Black Balsam Knob wilderness area, again with amazing views. All of this could easily fill much more than a day, so not really doable on the same full day as a Biltmore Estate visit.

Closer to Cashiers, the town of Brevard has some nice restaurants. Depending on when you visit, Brevard College (known for strong Fine Arts programs) may have musical or drama productions, with college pricing. Another option for live entertainment is Flat Rock Playhouse, closer to Hendersonville, with theater pricing.

Sapphire Valley is a very pretty area. Winding roads, so take it slow and watch for deer and other wildlife in the road. The front desk ought to be able to recommend various waterfall hikes - lots of them within 20 minutes' drive. For something different, drive out on I-40 to exit 20 and follow the signs for Cataloochie, more winding roads (some gravel roadway along sleep embankments, not for the faint-hearted). At the end of the road in, you'll come to a protected valley that's been repopulated with elk. No services except port-o-johns and a handful of park rangers so bring a picnic and beverages. But it's a pleasant visit. Have a great time!

Wow... thanks for the awesome review. This sounds like it's right up my alley... now I have to plan a trip there!

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
Biltmore

Be sure to make a reservation at Biltmore for a specific day and time. Also pay the extra for the handset radio. You will have a greater appreciation of the history of your surroundings.

We were in Sapphire in middle October and the colors were absolutely amazing!