• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

To tour or not to tour

mkahanek

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heading to Waiohai in November. I was at Ko Olina in Feb and did the tour ( I was mildly interested in adding and EOY week but didn't). I am NOT interested in adding any points. So. Would it be worth it to tour at Waiohai for any goodies? Would I even be eligable for goodies given it is less than a year since I did a Marriott vacation club tour. What are the standard goodies at a Waiohai tour?? If it makes a difference I am a developer owner.

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
What Is Your Time Worth?

Why would you want to spend your vacation time being badgered to buy something you don't want?

Stay away from the false and misleading sales pitches and enjoy your vacation.

Unless you are living below the poverty line, your time is worth more than the goodies Marriott might offer you.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To me its always worth it. I go for the MR points and find it worth my time. I say that because I've never had a bad experience in a Marriott tour. Some have like the recent Aruba Surf thread, but even in that scenerio I would have just dealt with the jerk sales guy and been on my way. I don't let people get under my skin so i just would have probably laughed at the guy.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
tours are great

I agree with Joe 100%. We always enjoy the early morning tours to see the property, meet a new rep, listen to whatever spiel they have to offer, TAKE OUR POINTS, or meal ticket, whatever, and then go enjoy a great brunch somewhere. To us, it only seems like we went out to eat......we hardly remember anything said (which is not earth-shattering news). That's because we usually know more than the rep anyway, from our years of being owners and TUG. We do ask questions if needed, to learn anything new. And our time together is always a pleasant memory. If we remember anything from the tour, it's just the property and units, and it's nice to see them upclose, if it's a place we've not been before. Since it's hard now to find a place we haven't been, we just enjoy seeing the place again, smile and move on.

When the rep sees our portfolio, he/she typically has little to say, other than "you have a nice group of weeks", so we know up front that we won't benefit much from "information".......only from seeing the units and property, which i happen to love anyway. Sometimes just seeing the updated decor or refurbishment is nice.

I'm not a contentious person, and would never insult anyone, and i think our easy-going and pleasant demeanor usually is what we get in return. Never had a bad experience, and we've done dozens of tours. I approach each tour as if there's always something to learn......sometimes i do, sometimes i don't. We treat the rep as though their time is valuable, too, so it always seems to go well. We always leave having met a new friend. We don't mind the 45-minute chat, either, because that's about what we get....after all, our minds are on the brunch. and our morning together.

Last edited:

vacdoc

Reaction score
I am not a contentious person

.....And, I would never insult anyone? The scariest part of that whole statement is that you may actually believe it. By definition, conentious means causing argument or strife. Are we afraid to fight for our brunch? We are clearly not afraid to take " dozens of tours". Because, how could it be considered an insult if during the "45 min pleasant chat" all that you can possibly think about is the "free brunch"? Because, remember, "45 min of polite chit chat is all you get". And, that surely is treating the rep like their time is valuable. Well done. But, let me ask you a question. Do you simply treat them like their time is valuable or do you sincerely believe that it is? Like you said - your mind is on the brunch. I think it must have been there when you wrote this post.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
At NCV they were offering 20K MRPs for tours booked at 2:00, typically a hard to spot to fill I guess. But if it's a day your are staying around the resort and relaxing it might be worth it if they are offering that deal at Waiohi.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
.....And, I would never insult anyone? The scariest part of that whole statement is that you may actually believe it. By definition, conentious means causing argument or strife. Are we afraid to fight for our brunch? We are clearly not afraid to take " dozens of tours". Because, how could it be considered an insult if during the "45 min pleasant chat" all that you can possibly think about is the "free brunch"? Because, remember, "45 min of polite chit chat is all you get". And, that surely is treating the rep like their time is valuable. Well done. But, let me ask you a question. Do you simply treat them like their time is valuable or do you sincerely believe that it is? Like you said - your mind is on the brunch. I think it must have been there when you wrote this post.

I suspect you must be TS salesperson with this reaction. Because Marty clearly said nothing that would warrant such an attack unless it struck a nerve.

Same with Tombo, he's bias IMHO because as he acknowledged he is a former Marriott sales guy. How about you? What company do you sell TS for?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

Wow...Sure don't know where your reply came from (some might call it contentious---did you realize that 33.333% of your posts are contentious?) , but I'll address our feelings again. We enjoy a tour. If a gift is offered, we take it. We use it as an opportunity to see the resort, ask questions (in the old days, re: new properties opened, new properties under construction, new properties under consideration, etc. ---that info is typically good to know), etc, etc. The time is not wasted.

The chit chat (your words) is not idle banter. We have intelligent questions to ask, and/or comments to make, but my main point was that we don't ask "gotcha questions" which might cause a rep to become defensive, rude, or insulting. We don't give that chance, and we don't emit that vibe. ....We come in with a good attitude and don't talk down Marriott or act like prima donnas. We "most likely" know more than they do, simply because of our YEARS of ownership and years on TUG, but we do not let that be known. We assume he/she has valuable info too, and try to glean some of that from them.

We see the property, which was the original major intent (tour required), so that is accomplished. (By the way, it's not our policy that you cannot see the resort and units without doing the tour, so....in order to do that, we must take the tour. Right there, there could be a conflict for many-----the reps are there to sell; we're there to see. If they don't sell, SHOULD they get mad? I don't think so. It's their job to meet whatever need we had in signing up for the tour. Our need, not theirs. Regardless, both parties still have to sit thru the program.) Most of the time, the new info we learn isn't earth-shattering, as i said, but it CAN be helpful. If the rep says, "hey, have you tried doing this with your weeks?", we listen.

Previous posters suggested that it was waste to even be there, but we don't think that way. (Would you prefer that we stay home?) We know that even if the tour is not a scholarly event, we still have a brunch to enjoy afterward, so we didn't get up early for nothing. (BTW, I never said a FREE BRUNCH, as you said----we go out afterward because it's that time of day, and we enjoy being together on vacation-----it's time together for my wife and me-----I never meant we use that tour to get a freebie meal......)

For us, a tour is fun, and not a waste. We go in trying to make it educational.....the rep may not wish for that.........An hour and a half of my time is not THAT valuable for one morning. Back at work, my time is very valuable.

As for your comment that it's "scary that I may actually believe" that I wouldn't insult someone, i absolutely stand by that.....I wouldn't insult a rep who I just met, for no reason, just because he/she feels i should be there only to buy. What good would that do? Silly. My point, which you missed, was that our attitude would never be such that a rep would turn ugly in the conversation to begin with. I'm well aware of the meaning of the word "contentious", and we are not that. I meant to say, about the brunch thing, that regardless of the experience of the tour, even if "bad" (never happened) , we would STILL have something positive to look forward to......is that a bad thing?

A rep's time IS VALUABLE----I never said it wasn't--------but he/she may not realize exactly WHY we are there-----it may not be for the same reason he/she thinks we are there. But remember, I was the one who RECEIVED an unsolicited phone call on the second morning of my vacation, while i was sleeping, asking if i could please attend a meeting in return for a "prize" of some sort.

If it's offered, I can take it, right? Are there stipulations that i buy something? don't think so. Do i offer the opportunity to try? Sure. Have i spent a hundred thousand dollars previously to support the developer and its reps? Yes, so say "thank you".

Matter of fact, we are the reason it all happens, and personally, I KNOW that we are the best thing that ever happened to Marriott (other owners included!!!). We are the kind of customers Marriott covets. Somehow it gets lost on SOME that the reps indeed exist because we have "bought", and we continue to spend money. I'm going to assume you were trying to test me. Nice try. So, as a 'guest' poster, come on and join TUG....after 3 posts, your fun is only beginning.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The way I look at it, if the sales rep has a 1 in 7 record, I am one of those other 6 and just help them get to that 1 faster by being there.