• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice on recent CWA upgrade...

atlterry

TUG Member
Reaction score
I promised not to fall prey to the sales pitch but I did and have some time to rescind. Here's my situation:
- I have CWS at Grand Desert - 84K points, $44 MF
- This was never enough for a "good" room
- We don't want a fixed base as we like to see new places

What we did is got sold on CWA by upgrading to 189K points/trust for $20+K/$93MF - although this gets us some level of adv reservation and have more points to get better accomomodations - I'm still not sure if this is a good deal as I see a lot of re-sale points out here and there and would like to know the right way to get the benefits as a lower cost.

Thanks in advance

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you plan on going all the way to VIP but a resale CWA is probably all you need

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

atlterry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks @raygo123 - I see some resales at eBay; I'm trying to learn the ropes quickly and any pointers will help.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG!

raygo123 told the truth .. you paid $22,000 too much.

Keep the 84K Grand Desert deed ... and buy a resale CWA deed for chump change (under $100 plus some closing costs ... total under $500.)

You have Member's Directory ... go look up points charts for several desireable vacation places YOU would go to. RTs and HKs follow the 77K rule. Get another HK or RT in you member account for each FULL 77K of points in your account.

So 154K, get 2 RTs, 231K gets you 3 RTs. Use a RT each DAY you make a transaction on you Member Id. This will HELP you decide HOW MANY points you need to add and going to multiple places, how to not get NICKLED and DIMED everytime you change plans.

Played the vacation planning in theory ... calculate the points you need yearly in multiples of 77K.

Next is look WHERE you will mostly be vacationing at. ARP is ONLY important if you are planning 11-13 months in advance. The BIG Holidays ... Xmas, NYE, Thanksgiving, Easter, July 4th, Spring Break. Most people have Family dinners half the time for these dates. Most timeshare reservations are FRI or SAT 7 night checkins (a few resorts have Sunday checkin)... so that will limit where you want to go.

Then consider MF costs ... beach locations tend to cost more to maintain; new resorts cost MORE points to stay at (and first few years, MFs per 1K of points LOOKS LOWER ... but remember takes MORE points to book).

And some resorts just have WAY more expenses and others just seem to be CHEAP. Some of my lowest MF/per 1K in points ... are at Wyndham Shawnee Prime Fixed weeks converted to points (166K in points for $680 annual MFs plus the CWP $.55 per 1k or my second deed for $680 MF for 177K in points). Now, if you don't need ARP ... just chasing low MF ratio.. that would be fine. But ARP is the underlying fixed week and my Shawnee f/w just happen to be Week 52 units. Ski area, indoor pool, fireplaces in unit, northeast USE off I-80 .. checks a lot of boxes (for me).

You have to research and figure our YOUR niche .. for owning Wyndham points. And Wyndham ARP.

Lower MF deeds general go for a HIGHER sales price. CWA is fine ... lots of different possible ARP. But it is an AVERAGE of the MFs and points ... they own a lot of low point non-prime weeks... if you are chasing lowest MFs, you can get better performance owning at lowest MF/k resorts.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks @raygo123 - I see some resales at eBay; I'm trying to learn the ropes quickly and any pointers will help.

No need to learn quickly

By all means learn all you can before you buy, but you can take your time

The important thing now is to rescind quickly

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for this double Jeopardy question! What is HK and RT?

RT ... reservation transaction.

HK ... housekeeping credit.

Each DAY you book a NEW reservation costs a RT ... book or change reservation uses an RT. Book 6 reservations TODAY .. 1 RT; book 6 reservations one each day of the week except Sunday ... use 6 RTs.

Each 77K or partial 77K of points used for a reservation ... costs a RT. This is how Wyndham accounts for resetting a unit. Stay 3 days; must reset; stay in a 3 bdr ... uses MORE HKs.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like this suggestion - do you have any recommendations on where to find these gems?

ebay and the TUG Bargain Deals section .... or around a resort's pool or bar.

Remember, asking price is just ASKING.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
recind before you own something that you could have purchased for 95% less.

Dlittrel

Reaction score
I'm glad you go the information and it has been helpful to you. I currently own Bonnet Creek at 1M points and Wyndham is trying to sell me 105K more points to transfer it all to CWA. Said to lower increases in maintenance. Would love to see the actual history on the CWA maintenance and get an objective answer on the main benefit of owning deeded property verses CWA. And I do not book most of my vacations a year in advance so that provides me little value. I started a thread Bonnet Creek Vs. CWA. Still trying to find answers...
Thanks for the valuable information from all those who posted.