• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI- 3 Bedroom at Disney

thebreards

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking to travel anytime from Mid-Mary to End of May 2012 to Disney and would like to stay on the grounds. Has anyone had any luck getting a 3 bedroom? I have seen a few 2 bedrooms here and there but never a 3. We could squeeze into a 2 if we have to, but that means someone is on the sofa bed.

We have high trading power because our week is on the beach over 4th of July so that isn't an issue.

MIDisfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking to travel anytime from Mid-Mary to End of May 2012 to Disney and would like to stay on the grounds. Has anyone had any luck getting a 3 bedroom? I have seen a few 2 bedrooms here and there but never a 3. We could squeeze into a 2 if we have to, but that means someone is on the sofa bed.

We have high trading power because our week is on the beach over 4th of July so that isn't an issue.

I've only seen a Grand Villa one time at Old Key West for a week in September the first year DVC switched to RCI. That was on the points side of RCI. Beach Club Villas and Wilderness Lodge do not have 3BR units. The largest are 2BR at these resorts. They may be more common on the weeks side.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You need to enter an ongoing search. I haven't seen a 3 bedroom at Disney for months and months, and I watch often. Consider a 3 bedroom at the Hilton: great resort, beautiful units, and very close to Disney.

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate to get a 3BR at OKW for May 2010. I got that exchange in Jan. of 2010. However, I have not seen a 3BR at any DVC since last fall.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are extremely rare. If you have only a two/tree week window, and you need a 3BR, I would encourage you to consider one of the better offsite resorts.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have so far been unsucessful in getting a 3 bedroom, but I was trying for this summer at one of the off-site locations and I didn't put my request in until after Disney had already made their bulk deposits. In talking with RCI, I get different stories from the reps about 3 bedrooms. Go figure. However, I've heard from enough reps to conclude that disney deposits very few 3 bedrooms. A few of the reps I talked to had never seen one offered in RCI, before -- but RCI reps are always pessimistic and will tell you more times than not that you need to request something else.

With that said, the only way you will ever know if you can get a 3 bedroom is to place an on-going search. I've been following these boards for a long time and I have never read a post from anyone who said they got a 3 bedroom DVC exchange through RCI WEEKS. There was a 3 bedroom Old Key West for this July in RCI POINTS that was deposited in January. I remember seeing that unit and reading a post from the woman who grabbed it.

Also, keep in mind that no one will respond to a thread about DVC 3 bedrooms to say they got one (except for the post about getting one last May) and to share how they got it. This is because no TUGGER has ever gotten this exchange, or they have gotten the exchange but didn't see your post or they have gotten the exchange but are keeping it a secret.

From other forums, I know that 3 bedroom DVC exchanges are possible but I think they are far and very few between. When you call RCI to request a 3 bedroom I can all but guarantee the rep will tell you it will never happen and will try to force you into accepting a 2 bedroom or a 3 bedroom. If you take a 2 bedroom, you will most likely get several matches.

From my own experience, this past January, I waited for a couple months for any 3 bedroom DVC with no matches. Then, I switched to a 2 bedroom and I got several offers before I decided to go with a different vacation.

Don't be discouraged to try for a 3 bedroom just know that you will get multiple posts from TUGGERS who have never gotten this trade and will tell you it is impossible. Then, you will call RCI and they will tell you it is impossible but bottom line is only you will know if it is possible or not if/when you put in a trade request. It is more than sage advice to have a back-up plan, for a Hilton 3 bedroom or a 2 bedroom DVC exchange, instead.

If I were you I would have two trade requests going and when you get matched with something other than a 3 bedroom DVC buy the insurance but keep you 3 bedroom request going, just in case.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Last edited:

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at DVC and I have regularly gotten into 3BRs. I do it by calling at opening on the first day of my booking window. Any time that I have done this, I have been successful.

On the other hand, if I wait for a week or two, only sometimes have I been successful. In DVC points, a 3BR costs a DVC member more than a studio and a 2BR, so you would think that people would avoid booking them. The difference in size between the 2BR and studio and 3BR is HUGE! They really are much nicer.

Saying all that, I called one of my friends that had gotten a 3BR and asked how he did it. He told me that he had an on-going search and was extremely flexible with the time. Doing this, he has gotten a 3BR twice.

elaine

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Treehouse Villas has 3 bedroom units, but they aren't especially large, like the 3 bedrooms at the regular Saratoga Springs, or at Old Key West, which are two stories on the interior.

I believe Treehouse Villas 3 bedrooms will start showing up, but I don't know if I will ever take one. They are distinguished in the number of people they sleep. Grand Villas sleep 12, Treehouse Villas 3 beds sleep 9, I believe.

I have one for the end of August, saw it online and grabbed it in weeks.

Ongoing searches do NOT work all of the time. I had an ongoing search for 10/2 for any Disney resort, and I saw several 10/2 in the last big bulk, and none held in my account. I just got it myself. I have zero faith in ongoing searches, and I learned never to rely on it. It makes you too relaxed about aggressively getting something.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never read a post from anyone who said they got a 3 bedroom DVC exchange through RCI WEEKS.
I have posted sightings of a few (as in count-on-one-hand few) of them, but they were posted OT. At the time, TUG had a restriction that you had to disclose the unit with which you were searching, and so I rarely posted sightings here.

I have never personally confirmed one, though, because they were always at times I could not go.

I doubt that the Treehouses will start showing up anytime soon. So far, only half of them have been declared into SSR inventory, and they book up incredibly quickly internally---demand internally appears to be similar to the Concierge-category rooms at AKV. I would expect that we'd need to see the other half declared before there is even a chance, and this last little bit of SSR is selling slowly enough that it could be a while before that happens.

thebreards

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our travel window is somewhat flexible....we are looking at anything between late March and end of May for 2012. We want to take the kids to a water park so January and February are out and after the end of May it gets TOO HOT. I have been over 15 times since I was a kid, but I never had to handle room reservations until now so this part is new to me.

I have an ongoing search now for Animal Kingdom Lodge, Boardwalk, and Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary. I really didn't want to stay at Old Key West or Saratoga but I would rather the size over property so I am going to go back and add those as well. I think I will keep it going until December or so and if nothing at that point then I will book a 2 bedroom. I have seen lots of those at all of the resorts over the past few months.

Do you guys happen to know when DVC deposits the units? My husband is overseas right now so he is able to jump on in the middle of the night to get first dibs if that helps. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your chances of a 3BR at anywhere other than SSR or OKW, as far as I know, are zero. Those two resorts are the only ones at which I have seen them personally or seen them reported, unless I am forgetting something. There are only six or maybe eight at all of BWV, and they book during the 11 month window AFAIK. AKV has a few more, but not many more.

There is no longer a "witching hour" in RCI (at least not for DVC deposits). They can happen at any time of the day, on any day of the week, though so far I think they have only happened on weekdays. So, no particular point in being up late at night, and an ongoing search will be wise. Historically, DVC has deposited anywhere from about 4 or 5 to about 11 months in advance. More recently it has been no more than 7 months, though a few exceptions have crept in. I think early December would be a fine time to broaden to a 2BR, but I would not let it go much longer. Of the three resorts you have listed, I think BWV is the most likely for a 2BR, followed by AKV, and BLT more of a longshot unless things change.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
By the way, the 3 bedroom at Old Key West for late August was pre-Points Lite. I had exceptional trading power with one of my weeks, and I was online immediately for the banking and saw the number of deposit rise. It was very exciting. I didn't set up an ongoing search.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
We got one ... but agreeing with others, there aren't many 3BR DVC deposits in RCI. Ours was a 3BR Grand Villa at SSR for Oct 2010 booked through RCI Weeks. I did NOT have an ongoing search -- but spotted it online and put it on hold while I checked schedules and logistics.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thinking about this some more: unless a 2BR is a real hardship for you, I'd just set up a search for one of those now at your preferred resorts, and expand resort choices around the end of 2011. The 3BRs are rare enough that I'm not even sure it is worth hoping for one. But, it is ultimately your call about what's more important to you.

Jolson

TUG Member
Reaction score
I happened into a 3BR Grand Villa at Saratoga Springs. It was before the whole RCI switch to points lite. It was the 2nd week in December 2010 (made the actual exchange May 2010) and I decided to take it because we had never done Disney before at the Holidays. It was a great trip but I would also agree with others that I've only seen 3BR at Disney resorts a few times.

As a side note, my history in my RCI account shows that this exchange was valued at 33.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So Jeff, wasn't that unit fabulous? The Saratoga Springs are really gorgeous, with formal dining room, huge kitchen, a fireplace, vaulted ceilings, etc. I would to get one for the kids. I have ongoing searches continually for one of those. I keep hoping.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
... a fireplace, ...
I don't recall our GV having a fireplace. I wonder if the GVs have different layouts/features? I do remember thinking our unit got gypped for balcony space ... but if I now hear that other units had better balconies and a fireplace ... well, I'm just gonna pout. (For a moment.) ;)

EDITED: Please folks, don't remind me that the GVs at AKL Jambo House and GCV have pool tables. I don't want to think of that now ... <weak grin>

Last edited:

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for sharing this information. After I put up my post I thought we should start a new thread regarding Disney RCI 3 bedroom exchanges (i.e. who has gotten them and how did it happen). This post is kind of doing that and it is fun to read.

BTW, Cindy. I was a DVC member and the only units with fireplaces are in Hilton Head and only the 3 bedrooms have one. Can this be what you are thinking of? It doesn't matter at all but I agree the Sartaoga Springs 3 bedrooms are very nice. I would also not pass on that tree house, either. Those units are small comapred to other 3 bedrooms but they are really neat. I'm sure you have seen them so I won't go into any detail but when those first came out, they were near impossible for non SSR owners to get.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I saw the model on the tour and thought it had a fireplace. But I was so in awe of it, I think my eyes glazed over. The Old Key West is this August, and do I use it? Nope. Our son, daughter-in-law, her sister and husband, and her parents and grandmother are using it. I would have to stay IN the unit, because it's the end of August....No Disney for me in August or early September. Hotter than you know where..

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
The SSR GV's are great, we've booked them the last 2 Thanksgivings. Real Dining Table! For those of you who don't know me the tables in the 2brs are a real sore point for me at DVC.

Though the killer DVC 3br's are the Beach Cottages at Vero Beach. True oceanfront.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those "tables" drive me nuts, too.

How about those tiny DVC coffee mugs? Those rank just behind the table and unfitted bottom sheets.

Our guide thinks the same thing, where do you put 8 people to sit down to eat?

If I was doing a trip where we planned to eat in a lot, I'd book a GV or use my Wyndham points and book Bonnet Creek. Better kitchen layout, real table and huge coffee mugs.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How about those tiny DVC coffee mugs? Those rank just behind the table and unfitted bottom sheets.
Agreed! We keep a set of tall coffee mugs in our Owner's Locker and have often considered adding sheets as well.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I would also not pass on that tree house, either. Those units are small comapred to other 3 bedrooms but they are really neat. I'm sure you have seen them so I won't go into any detail but when those first came out, they were near impossible for non SSR owners to get.

Finally a proud reason to own SSR.
Yes I'm a proud owner of SSR and will be doing my first Treehouse stay in October. Very excited!. :cheer:

Us SSR owners used to get beat up alot on the Disney forums pre treehouses but now we're getting respect! ;)