• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Waikaloa potential purchase

Buddman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are thinking of purchasing 9600 points for approx. $6000 dollars. The home resort is waikaloa. We have visited Oahu and loved it.

Is this a decent price for platinum floating?

We have not purchased a timeshare, yet. Even though I have been a tug member for a couple of years.

Any sage advice is appreciated.

Regards,
Jason

Reaction score
Just to be sure you're buying where it sounds like you want to buy, Waikoloa is on the Big Island, not Oahu. Waikoloa is a great resort, but again I'd hate to see you buy there only to think this would get you home week access on Oahu.

If Waikoloa is where you want your ownership: As an owner at Waikoloa, my $0.02 is that the Waikoloa maintenance fees coupled with how easy it is to reserve there on club points just about anytime you want, make buying there less than attractive. You may do much better--particularly over the long haul and years of maintenance fees--to purchase in Las Vegas and then just reserve Waikoloa when you want to go there. Again, with the exception of Christmas/New Year's holiday weeks, reserving @ Waikoloa is usually very easy.

If Oahu is where you want your ownership: HHV Lagoon Tower is our favorite location there, but as an example is NOT so easy to reserve using club points. In the case of buying there to ensure you have good access there, I'd say the maintenance fees would be worth it to ensure you get there at the times you want to go (for the reason of the very limited access during club season).

This is certainly not to discourage you from buying @ Waikoloa if that's where you really want to be able to go, whenever you want, without the booking fees, etc., but rather just to suggest an alternative that might still get you everything you want at much lower cost.

Hope this helps.

Buddman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, for responding to our query.
Your response is a huge help.
I believe we will wait and see what is offered in the future as resale for Hawaiian Village.

Regards
Jason