• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2015 ] Requesting experiences living close to or full time in timeshares

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
If I understand correctly, Telemark lets owners book last-minute inventory 3 weeks prior to arrival, for a fee of $199 per week booked. Is that correct? I can see how $199 per week is a good deal, but I would think the TPUs one would receive would be somewhat limited at 3 weeks out, even for summer week.

Yes, we can get weeks for $199 at 3 weeks out, but these would be too late to use to deposit anywhere, but they are very handy to extend stays cheaply, which we usually do every year, as there is usually availability..

But, as well, there is a bonus program that allows you to reserve on January 1st so you are able to plan ahead completely and get a special unit you might want ahead of time. The deal is, if you pay your maintenance before Jan 1 and then pay an additional $200, you can reserve another week throughout the year, thus, not having to wait to take a chance on a unit.

These units you can also deposit into RCI.

They have another RCI deposit program too so that makes owning at Telemark is a GREAT deal, as well as being a wonderful place to vacation.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I haven't had time to read through the entire post or your blog, but what is your exit plan for when the time comes that you are unable to drive, become ill or infirmed, etc.?

What will happen with all these timeshare weeks and points?

I myself could never live like this- a van filled with stuff and constantly on the road, packing and unpacking, having to constantly work on the logistics of where we are going to be, but then again I don't even like the idea of RV'ing- lugging that big motor home along everywhere you go and the upkeep would be like a noose around my neck (and, as big as they are inside, I still feel confined in them), though I do understand why a lot of people enjoy it and to each his own. I am not a camper or a gypsy I guess! I love time sharing as a vacation of choice, but I love having a home(base) (or condo or townhouse) also.

I do see the benefits in terms of not having the upkeep of a house and it working out financially, though. But still, if I had the money, I might buy into a FULL ownership or Share ownership at a resort and just stay there and then maybe get other weeks or points for vacations or rent.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron and Joan are the other couple, their blog is:

http://ronandjoanjourney.blogspot.com/

Thanks sharing all this very informative information.
Thanks for the website. We once did a month travel . Two weeks in Williamsbug, and two weeks in Hilton Head and that was to much for the Commander in Chief. However, I like the concept.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I'd like to hear from Mike&Edie what they do with the in-between times? For instance, let's say your first timeshare week ends at 10am Saturday and checkin starts at 5pm that day for the next unit at the same location. That's where I think a big hassle might be.

This isn't really a problem if you are only doing it one time. But to have to constantly do it would make me nuts! We are in the process of adding a week at another resort to a week we own and will have that issue. But- in our case, we can check out, still hang around the resort and enjoy, and then drive two hours to the other resort- have lunch, see some sights, whatever and then check-in there. (we also have a son who lives nearby who we can visit with). But that is just once per year, not every week or few weeks!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The other thing is, how much vacationing can you do- even in retirement? You can only play so much golf and tennis (if you are physically able). I know I like to do a little work around the house (emphasis on "little"). I like a feeling of accomplishing something. Don't get me wrong- I love being in a pool or ocean and sightseeing and hiking and all that, maybe a little window shopping. But at some point I like to break it up with some other stuff- like I would love to get a small greenhouse-hobbies- a pet- and yes, some home maintenance, a small bit of volunteer work, a little entertaining at home.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think a very good plan is a small home or condo to use as a base. Even better is to have that located near or apart of one of your kids home. Or in a place you like to spend a few months of the year.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think a very good plan is a small home or condo to use as a base. Even better is to have that located near or apart of one of your kids home. Or in a place you like to spend a few months of the year.

Good advice, but there are additional expenses involved with that strategy. The advantages of going "full-time" would be no additional housing expenses besides being able to travel the maximum amount of time possible.

I think for me, the best strategy is to keep our home and travel about 4-6 months a year. I don't think I need the "full-time" experience to get my travel fix especially when I'd be older and retired. I can see why the "full-time" would be appealing though, but I don't think my wife would ever go for that amount of time, so hopefully we'll be able to compromise. Or maybe she'll just tell me travel by myself and leave her at the house. :)

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we can get weeks for $199 at 3 weeks out, but these would be too late to use to deposit anywhere, but they are very handy to extend stays cheaply, which we usually do every year, as there is usually availability..

But, as well, there is a bonus program that allows you to reserve on January 1st so you are able to plan ahead completely and get a special unit you might want ahead of time. The deal is, if you pay your maintenance before Jan 1 and then pay an additional $200, you can reserve another week throughout the year, thus, not having to wait to take a chance on a unit.

These units you can also deposit into RCI.

They have another RCI deposit program too so that makes owning at Telemark is a GREAT deal, as well as being a wonderful place to vacation.
Now this interests me. How much are the maintenance fees at Telemark, and what would the cost be for a week there in season and off season?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good advice, but there are additional expenses involved with that strategy. The advantages of going "full-time" would be no additional housing expenses besides being able to travel the maximum amount of time possible.

I think for me, the best strategy is to keep our home and travel about 4-6 months a year. I don't think I need the "full-time" experience to get my travel fix especially when I'd be older and retired. I can see why the "full-time" would be appealing though, but I don't think my wife would ever go for that amount of time, so hopefully we'll be able to compromise. Or maybe she'll just tell me travel by myself and leave her at the house. :)

Right it would add additional expense but also provide a place to stay for long periods of time if needed. If you sell the family home then maybe wait a while till you find where to buy a new place. I would never be able or want to do it full time as I like where I live but 2-3 months every few months would be great. Hopefully one of my sons stays close to home to look after everything.

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Now this interests me. How much are the maintenance fees at Telemark, and what would the cost be for a week there in season and off season?

The telemark resort is selling any units available for $299, yes that is more than $1 but a floating week would be better and even a studio which would only be. $419 maintenance and then you get all the owner benefits . And you would quickly get back your initial "extra" $298.

Let me PM you more info since this looks like a more personal question or maybe go to Central area.

I always want people to come to telemark since we like it so well... Of course info and pics each year on my blog about it

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The other thing is, how much vacationing can you do- even in retirement?

I myself could never live like this- a van filled with stuff and constantly on the road, packing and unpacking, having to constantly work on the logistics of where we are going to be,.

but what is your exit plan for when the time comes that you are unable to drive, become ill or infirmed, etc.?

What will happen with all these timeshare weeks and points?

Well, as we have posted before, we are NOT on vacation! We are just living somewhere warm! (and for these winters lately, that is a more positive thing than it used to be.

Meanwhile we are comfortable in resorts with swimming pools, and maybe oceanfront! etc etc. We still have to do all the things you do at home, including fixing 3 meals a day (we only occasionally eat out), keeping up the finances, visiting with friends and relatives, washing clothes, going to church, doing the taxes, selling my books online, reading, writing, watching TV (do you?). The great advantage is that I can swim my laps everyday -- (trying to go to the pool when it is empty or almost empty :whoopie: ), maybe even go to the fitness center or walk on the beach daily as well. And we don;t even sightsee a lot any more except when we are in a new place- especially when we've been to a place before. We continue to enjoy our favorite places and they feel like home.".

yes, I hear you! Many people like you could not move so often --most often it seems it is the wife who wants a "nest" at home, and even DH can’t believe that I have been doing this, since I did not move often as a child as he did -- but having our “homey” things which do not take too long to unpack and repack..it's not been so bad. It’s a matter of organizing and planning?

I have read so many TUGGERS' posts that say a lot of the "fun" is the planning....and a lot of that is Dreaming (I do a lot of that -- and reading reviews )... When we are able to go to a place we have heard about from many TUGGERs, it is a special time. Another good experience is to get a GREAT exchange for a VERY LOW cost, whether it be a low value of points or even cash .. how about a week on Hood Canal for $99? (DAE) How about a week in the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort for $110? (Platinum Interchange). How about RCI TPU exchange weeks for $225 - using our great Telemark owner bonuses? These are playing the "game" and winning.

Yes, I hear you! Many people like you could not move so often --most often it seems it is the wife who wants a "nest" at home, and even DH can’t believe that I have been doing this, since I did not move often as a child as he did -- but having our “homey” things which do not take too long to unpack and repack..it's not been so bad. It’s a matter of organizing and planning?

And for “maintenance”? We get to do lots of that anyway!! If you have read my BLOG, you will see so many photos labeled, "What is this man doing ..on the floor? on his back?..on this ladder?" because DH is fixing something for either a family member or a friend - plumbing seems to be a major need most places. And I get all the gardening opportunities with our sons’ places. Yes, they are not our own projects, but we do get satisfaction by seeing progress and changes.

Maybe you can consider that the “exchange” in going to and fro from timeshare to timeshare – we do not have housekeeping! Or being responsible for the maintenance in the units themselves. Or cable bills, etc.

And our exit plan? If we “become infirm,” watch for some great Bargains on the Bargain Deals thread!

And for “maintenance”? We get to do lots of that anyway!! If you have read my BLOG, you will see so many photos labeled, "What is this man doing ..on the floor? on his back?..on this ladder?" because DH is fixing something for either a family member or a friend - plumbing seems to be a major need most places. And I get all the gardening opportunities with our sons’ places. Yes, they are not our projects, but we do get satisfaction by seeing progress and changes.

Maybe you can consider that the “exchange” in going to and fro from timeshare to timeshare – we do not have housekeeping! Or being responsible for the maintenance in the units themselves.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Joan , I was wondering about internet security. I am hesitant to review bank information and private information on line at timeshares on their wifi system. What do you do?

I got your PM and for some reason couldn't reply, but thank you. Mulling it over.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Joan , I was wondering about internet security. I am hesitant to review bank information and private information on line at timeshares on their wifi system. What do you do?

I got your PM and for some reason couldn't reply, but thank you. Mulling it over.

yes- I thought of that one as well. I never go on those kind of sites at the resorts with my laptop or phone. That would be a big problem for me as well.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I think what helps for you is that you have family at many of the places you travel to. I wouldn't have that. I still like having a home and traveling form there. Not that I can retire anyway! I don't have time to do anything! LOL!

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score

We travel 4-6 months a year. I also thought a small condo would be a perfect home base, however, it didn't work for us. We had a 1200 square ft condo and when we would go "home" we felt like we were still in a timeshare unit and slightly cramped. It felt like we were "full-time" in a timeshare. So last May we sold the condo and purchased a small 1900 square ft 3 bedroom home on a golf course. Now we feel like we are going "home" and are off the road.

While on the road we spend our days just as if we were at home. We follow the same schedule we would if we were not traveling. It's great fun!

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The other thing is, how much vacationing can you do- even in retirement? You can only play so much golf and tennis (if you are physically able). I know I like to do a little work around the house (emphasis on "little"). I like a feeling of accomplishing something. Don't get me wrong- I love being in a pool or ocean and sightseeing and hiking and all that, maybe a little window shopping. But at some point I like to break it up with some other stuff- like I would love to get a small greenhouse-hobbies- a pet- and yes, some home maintenance, a small bit of volunteer work, a little entertaining at home.

Mpumilia: To answer your three posts:

Well, as we have posted before, we are NOT on vacation! We are just living somewhere warm! (and for these winters lately, that is really an advantage), in resorts with swimming pools and, maybe oceanfront! etc etc. We still have to do all the things you do at home, including fixing 3 meals a day (we only occasionally go out), keeping up the finances, visiting with friends and relatives, washing clothes, going to church, doing the taxes, selling my book online, reading, writing, watching TV (do you?). The great advantage is that I can swim my laps everyday -- (trying to go to the pool when it is empty or almost empty :whoopie: ), maybe even go to the fitness center or walk on the beach daily as well. And we don't even sightsee a lot except in places we have not been before- otherwise we continue to enjoy our favorite places... it's like being "home."

yes, I hear you! Many people like you could not move so often --most often it seems it is the wife who wants a "nest" at home, and even DH can’t believe that I have been doing this, since I did not move often as a child as he did -- but having our “homey” things which do not take too long to unpack and repack..it's not been so bad. It’s a matter of organizing and planning?

I have read so many TUGGERS' posts that say a lot of the "fun" is the planning....and a lot of that is Dreaming (I do a lot of that -- and reading reviews ...) When we are able to go to a place we have heard about from many TUGGERs, it is a special time. Another good experience is to get a GREAT exchange for a VERY LOW cost, whether it be a low value of points or even cash .. how about a week on Hood Canal for $99? (DAE) How about a week in the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort for $110? (Platinum Interchange). How about RCI TPU exchange weeks for $225 - using our great Telemark owner bonuses? These are the real fun time...playing the "game" and winning.

And for “maintenance”? We get to do lots of that anyway!! If you have read my BLOG, you will see so many photos labeled, "What is this man doing ..on the floor? on his back?..on this ladder?" because DH is fixing something for either a family member or a friend - plumbing seems to be a major need most places. And I get all the gardening opportunities with our sons’ places. Yes, they are not our own projects, but we do get satisfaction by seeing progress and changes.

Maybe you can consider that the “exchange” in going to and fro from timeshare to timeshare – we do not have housekeeping! Or being responsible for the maintenance in the units themselves. Or cable bills, etc..

And our exit plan? If we “become infirm,” watch for some great Bargains on the Bargain Deals thread!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
We travel 4-6 months a year. I also thought a small condo would be a perfect home base, however, it didn't work for us. We had a 1200 square ft condo and when we would go "home" we felt like we were still in a timeshare unit and slightly cramped. It felt like we were "full-time" in a timeshare. So last May we sold the condo and purchased a small 1900 square ft 3 bedroom home on a golf course. Now we feel like we are going "home" and are off the road.

While on the road we spend our days just as if we were at home. We follow the same schedule we would if we were not traveling. It's great fun!

That was my plan.
Winter at home in Florida
4 months in sandiego where my son lives
4 months in San Francisco where my daughter lives.

Worldmark works well for this as they allow long stays so jut 3 moves a year
Its not a budget approach bit it's a whole lot cheaper than a second home in california

The point is it's not vacation it's just living

Lots of my neighbors are snow birds. They are here 3 to 6 months a year. It's home. It works for them. I'd like to try it too

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it a "vacation" if you are retired?

As a newly retired person, my DH and I were just pondering this question. :doh: We are used to saying we are going on vacation. I turned to him and mentioned that vacations are usually meaning a break from work. Now that we do not "work" is it correct to call it a vacation?

We came up with a new term for us = "getting out of dodge!" It will take some time to use this with regularity. Another one we pondered is "getaways." :wave: Simple, to the point. I, for one, am trying not to call our trips vacation anymore.

Just a thought.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Joan , I was wondering about internet security. I am hesitant to review bank information and private information on line at timeshares on their wifi system. What do you do? ...
Some resorts offer Ethernet, which is more secure than WiFi. If the resort doesn't have Ethernet, you can turn off WiFi on your phone and use your cellular data for a secure connection. You should even be able to use your cellular data to create your own WiFi hotspot with its own password. (Just remember that streaming movies or music over cellular data can quickly use up your cellular data and lead to big overage charges.)

Also, if a website is secure (the URL says HTTPS instead of HTTP) then your data is encrypted, which means that even if someone is listening in to the WiFi, it is extremely hard to decipher your data. However, every page should have the HTTPS in the URL, not just the sign-in page. Otherwise, information on that page is not secure.

There is currently a big scandal because some Lenovo computers came pre-installed with malware that can undo the HTTPS encryption, but malware this bad is pretty rare.

Email is actually a bigger security problem than financial websites. Some email servers encrypt emails, some don't, and it isn't easy to tell if email is encrypted or not. It drives me nuts when I get an email that has my password and user ID included. For example, I'll sign up for a site and they'll send me an email saying something like, "Thank you for signing up! As a reminder, your User ID is JudyS and your password is susan1." Oh yeah, thanks a lot! You just potentially revealed my password to anyone on this WiFi network.

I've never come across a bank or other financial website stupid enough to send my password in an email. When it happens, it's always with a small site, like someone selling their own homemade soap or something.

There are ways to make email secure, but I don't know much about them. If I sign up for a new site while traveling, I'll make up a special password just for that site, so if the site emails me the password, it won't be a password I use for anything else.

Mobile apps usually don't tell you if they are secure or not. If you are sending sensitive data through a mobile app, it's safer to turn off the WiFi on your phone and use cellular data instead.

Of course, to intercept your data, there would have to be someone actually signed into the WiFi and listening in. I would expect a coffee shop or college campus to be more likely to attract that sort of person. There probably aren't that many timeshare guests sitting in their rooms, paying their bills, so timeshares probably aren't a big target of data thieves.

You can also dramatically increase your data's security by getting a subscription to a Virtual Private Network service. (If you're technically inclined, you could set upyour own Virtual Private Network, but it's fairly complicated.)

The Department of Homeland Security has this good, easy-to-understand article on WiFi security:
http://www.onguardonline.gov/articles/0014-tips-using-public-wi-fi-networks

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
An Ethernet connection is not really any more secure than a wifi connection in this context. I could be in the TS next door and still sniff out your connection. In a resort setting, pretty much anyone plugged into the network is sharing the network in much the same way that those connected by wifi are.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
An Ethernet connection is not really any more secure than a wifi connection in this context. I could be in the TS next door and still sniff out your connection. In a resort setting, pretty much anyone plugged into the network is sharing the network in much the same way that those connected by wifi are.
Thanks for telling me. Guess I have a lot more to learn about Ethernet! I thought only someone with administrative access to would be able to intercept Ethernet data.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
For a rough estimate, could you just take a figure like 200,000 points per week x 52 weeks per year = 10,400,000 points less VIP discount (assuming platinum) = 5,200,000 points x $5/1,000 = $26,000

I've looked at the blogs of the two full-time timesharing folks that Denise mentions and they mostly use RCI last calls, RCI sales, etc. Mostly off season weekly in over built areas on the cheap. Figuring an average of $400 per week their costs are probably are more like $20,800 per year.

Of course the $26,000 is assuming VIP discounts in an account that treats resale points like VIP if the account has VIP. If the Voyager thing ever comes out and can distinguish resale versus developer points, that should be interesting.

So in order to get VIP I thought they had to be developer points? If not how many points do you need? How much would your initial investment be?

Joe33426

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
So in order to get VIP I thought they had to be developer points? If not how many points do you need? How much would your initial investment be?

This thread from 2015 seems like a lifetime ago. The initial investment for 10,400,000 resale points would be relatively cheap, you could probably do it for $30,000, maybe less. I haven't been following the resale market, so others probably have better information. The MFs would be crushing, at least for me. 10,000,000 points at $5 per thousand would be $50,000 per year.

Bigger question is why would you want to timeshare full-time. Looking back over the last 5 years that we've been timesharing about on average 90 days per year, I could never imagine doing this full-time. We LOVE timeshare, but not that much.

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Full timing.... 1. Everyone is different... that is, many say

A. I have to have a home base.
( especially it seems ,women)

B. I wouldn’t like moving week after week

2. We looked at
A. Finances
As long as we had the timeshares anyway , it was cheaper to stay in timeshares than in the house, counting the mortgage, property taxes, house maintenance issues, and utilities
B. We were away from home so much,( 8 months st a time),it didn’t make sense to have the house expenses when we were gone,
And
3. We were searching for the final place to retire, since we decided we didn’t want any more snow like it had been living in Ohio.

Here’s what we found for us
1. A. To “live” in timeshares, we had to bring things with us to make it feel like “home”, esp family photos, placemats, table runners, flowers, candles,a few small familiar knickknacks and even a stuffed Siamese cat toy .!! ...we did not want a “bare”, impersonal condo environment.
In addition, my husband’s desire and priority was to spend time visiting family and friends. There it is!!!!

B. Moving. We often were able to stay multiple weeks in a place (even now, for ex, this Sept and Oct we’ll be 7 weeks in our large lakefront duplex TS unit in north WI with the beautiful fall colors, and we spend 5 weeks at a time at the St Aug beach Club (TAS).
However, when we do have to move about, yes, we HATE to leave, but..... looking forward to another beautiful place!!!!

B .
1. We remember that most TS we go to are lovely and with swimming pools or waterfront! Just what we wanted and did not have at our house. For us, it was a more inexpensive way to stay at waterfront properties.

2. BUT!! Where to “retire”????? We hoped we would do it for 2 years and then know. But we didn’t, and still after 7 years, we don’t know because WE LIKED EVERYWHERE!! ( except no snow!)

Liking everywhere says a lot for us... and we visit(ed) a lot of people too (DH is happy.)

However, we have a home base now, in the Pacific NW and only TS now for 6-7 months ( we still have all those TS to use!) .

Why here ? Yep, those grandchildren!!!!!

Being here allows us to drive to southern CA to see our grandchildren In college .. I have completed the BLOG for the last 5 weeks in LA area ( yes, even staying 2 weeks in Laguna Beach TS!! ( from Platinum Interchange), but still have the next 3 weeks in AZ to BLOG, visiting more family.

Yes, Everyone is different and it’s a possible fun lifestyle for a limited ? time for many.

Bigger question is why would you want to timeshare full-time. Looking back over the last 5 years that we've been timesharing about on average 90 days per year, I could never imagine doing this full-time. We LOVE timeshare, but not that much.