• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to do when you can't use all of your reservation

keltyroach

Reaction score
I have a 7-night reservation at Wyndham Wakiki Beach Walk for the week before Easter, 3/28-4/4. I made the reservation back in June and since then our plans have changed and we need to leave on Thursday, 4/2. When I called to switch my reservation to 5-nights, I was told that I could only have 3,4 or 7-nights reservations since it is prime season in Hawaii all year round. But then the guy offered to try and "ride the lightening" by cancelling my existing reservation and attempting to make a new one. I was confused and did not want to risk losing the reservation all together so I said no.
Does anyone know if this is true? If so, what are my options for those last 2 nights that we won't be there? Can I try to sell/rent them on e-bay or some other source or are those points just gone forever?
Thanks in advance for any information, advice or suggestions.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
If you can't afford to lose the reservation, it looks like you can't do anything.

To book only 5 nights, you could cancel all 7 nights, and then pick up only the 5 you want. It sounds like that is what the VC was suggesting.

They are completely sold old. You would be risking losing your reservation.

If you can find a back up, that you would be happy with, you might risk doing this. But don't do it if you can't afford to lose it.

I doubt you can rent only the last 2 nights, but maybe. The renter would have to check into you room, you'd have to figure out how to get it cleaned (the room would be still be in your name). Probably not worth the hassle.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 7-night reservation at Wyndham Wakiki Beach Walk for the week before Easter, 3/28-4/4. I made the reservation back in June and since then our plans have changed and we need to leave on Thursday, 4/2. When I called to switch my reservation to 5-nights, I was told that I could only have 3,4 or 7-nights reservations since it is prime season in Hawaii all year round. But then the guy offered to try and "ride the lightening" by cancelling my existing reservation and attempting to make a new one. I was confused and did not want to risk losing the reservation all together so I said no.
Does anyone know if this is true? If so, what are my options for those last 2 nights that we won't be there? Can I try to sell/rent them on e-bay or some other source or are those points just gone forever?
Thanks in advance for any information, advice or suggestions.

I'm a little confused by your message, so maybe you can help... did you make the reservation yourself using points? Did you call in or do it online?

When you are within 90 days, the prime season restrictions go away, so whatever you heard isn't quite right. Who is "the guy" you are referring to who asked if you wanted to "ride the lightning"? Was this a Vacation Counselor, or "the guy" you are renting from?

If you have online access, you can check for yourself if there is any remaining availability there. If there is, you may be able to book the reservation you want and simply cancel the one you don't. I just checked and there is no availability, so you would be "rolling the dice" to cancel and rebook it. However, having said that, it is certainly possible to cancel and rebook just the nights you need to save the excess points, but there is a risk of losing the reservation if someone else is very quick and picks it up before you do (or has a bot running).

You would not be able to "rent" the two remaining nights, because you would need to put the reservation in the guest name for those two nights, but then you wouldn't be able to check in. In theory you could meet the guest at the resort to exchange keys, but who is going to want to rent a unit for 2 nights with dirty sheets?

keltyroach

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, I made the reservation myself, over the phone, using my points. "The guy" was the Vacation Counselor. Since we are travelling from out of state and have all of our flights and other plans made, we can not "afford" to risk losing the reservation all together. I guess I am out of luck, thanks though for replying. I am new to the world of TUG and have learned SO much just today!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I know nothing about points, but if it were me I would just keep the reservation and eat the 2 days. Just enjoy your vacation and forget about it!

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
In business, this would be like "ordinary inventory losses."

NHTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would just keep the reservation as is if you don't have a back up plan. You lose some points by vacating early, but you have a place to stay for the first 5. Enjoy it! I loved that place. It was central to where I wanted to be.

antjmar

Reaction score
I'm a little confused by your message, so maybe you can help... did you make the reservation yourself using points? Did you call in or do it online?

When you are within 90 days, the prime season restrictions go away, so whatever you heard isn't quite right. Who is "the guy" you are referring to who asked if you wanted to "ride the lightning"? Was this a Vacation Counselor, or "the guy" you are renting from?

If you have online access, you can check for yourself if there is any remaining availability there. If there is, you may be able to book the reservation you want and simply cancel the one you don't. I just checked and there is no availability, so you would be "rolling the dice" to cancel and rebook it. However, having said that, it is certainly possible to cancel and rebook just the nights you need to save the excess points, but there is a risk of losing the reservation if someone else is very quick and picks it up before you do (or has a bot running).

You would not be able to "rent" the two remaining nights, because you would need to put the reservation in the guest name for those two nights, but then you wouldn't be able to check in. In theory you could meet the guest at the resort to exchange keys, but who is going to want to rent a unit for 2 nights with dirty sheets?
When you get closer to the travel date (under 60 days) see if a 5 night reservation is available. If it is cancel your current reservation and book the 5 nights.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your cost (cost of points - maintenance fees) is more than a rental for the timeframe you need then rent and cancel your reservation before 15 days of check-in. Keep the points for another time. However, they will be considered cancelled points and must be used by the end of the use period, or bank with RCI and save them.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many hundreds of millions of points are wasted because of not being am to adjust reservations without risking the whole thing?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 7-night reservation at Wyndham Wakiki Beach Walk for the week before Easter, 3/28-4/4.
The only way to drop the last two nights is to cancel all seven, and re-book the first five. You run the risk of losing the reservation entirely if someone manages to book those nights between the time you cancel and the time you rebook. That risk is VERY real. If it were me, I'd just eat the last two nights' worth of points.