• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would you pay these prices?

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
On eastern Long Island there is a gourmet deli/butcher with the following prices.
Lobster Salad $100 LB
Marinated olives $18 LB
Beef Filet $65 LB

I could go on but it was pretty comical. And the lobster salad sells out every day. :eek: :eek:

jlwquilter

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't pay those prices but I know exactly the place you are referring to! Some people have too much money :D

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
On eastern Long Island there is a gourmet deli/butcher . . .

Nuff said . . . and no I would never even consider shopping in such a place!

Ekaaj

Reaction score
LOL, I wouldn't pay that even if I DID have the money, just on principal! That's outrageous...

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Did you hear the item on NPR about Rich-istan?

This is a prime example of what that radio show was discussing. There are certain enormously rich people who have no idea of reality. They have so much money and are so competitive with it it's relly alarming. The gap between them and the rest of us is growing bigger and bigger. A strange world they live in.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is a prime example of what that radio show was discussing. There are certain enormously rich people who have no idea of reality. They have so much money and are so competitive with it it's relly alarming. The gap between them and the rest of us is growing bigger and bigger. A strange world they live in.

You don't have to go to Long Island, Los Angeles or other well known areas of affluence to see it. Ironically, I see you are in Charlottesville, which for years was known for the divide of "haves and have nots" . . . at least when I was a VA resident back through the early 1990's.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't have to go to Long Island, Los Angeles or other well known areas of affluence to see it.

You can see it right here on the board from time-to-time. Just look at some of the prices people here on TUG are able to pay for timesharing and vacationing :)
:eek:

Or look at HGVC, as a corporate example. All their current new construction projects; Honolulu, the Big Island, NYC, Orlando are all aimed at the high end consumer. So much for my 7000 points being considered "platinum"!!!:doh:

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Timesharevon you are right

Charlottesville does have a lot of rich folks. Lots of trust fund babies and retired corporate folk. The housing here has become very expensive as a result. If you were here in the 90's things were still relatively cheap- not so now. However, we aren't anywhere near the prices and over blown money of the Northern Virginia tech crowd or the Conn/NY investor crowd. We don't have food prices like this yet.

BSQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must be odd, cause I was OK with the lobster salad and olive prices. Granted I know for our use I wouldn't need a pound of either.

If it's the best around and it's something we enjoy, I'm not too price sensitive. Granted it wouldn't be on the shopping list every week.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
For $100 a pound, I want a hunky guy feeding salad to me on a fork, while another keeps my wineglass poured and a third is giving me a pedicure!!

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Charlottesville does have a lot of rich folks. Lots of trust fund babies and retired corporate folk. The housing here has become very expensive as a result. If you were here in the 90's things were still relatively cheap- not so now. However, we aren't anywhere near the prices and over blown money of the Northern Virginia tech crowd or the Conn/NY investor crowd. We don't have food prices like this yet.

I grew up in Fairfax County and moved to Fredericksburg in 1982 where I lived until moving to Milwaukee in 1994. During my last six years in F-burg I worked for Southland Corp and the 7-Eleven Market Office out of Charlottesville so I spent a lot of time in the area, as well as the rest of our market area (from King George to Harrisonburg and everything in between).

I'm continually shocked by prices of housing throughout Virginia, including what used to be a small town Williamsburg as recently as the mid/late 90's. I've become relatively spoiled by midwest living and don't know that I would ever "fit in" again, especially inside the Beltway. I know my Milwaukee born/raised hubby would not like living there at all!

Ekaaj

Reaction score
For $100 a pound, I want a hunky guy feeding salad to me on a fork, while another keeps my wineglass poured and a third is giving me a pedicure!!

ROFLOL! Yep, I guess I would buy it if it came with all those perks! :p (And I'm not even that wild about lobster...)

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You have to remember that everything is relative.

Take a family who makes $50,000 per year after taxes. Spending $1000 on an item will probably make them think twice and they're going to make sure they get a good deal.

Now take someone who makes $500,000 after taxes. They probably think twice on $10,000 purchases. Also, they can make fifty of them before spending the whole amount. The first family can make five $10,000 purchases.

Now take someone who makes $5,000,000 after taxes...these are the folks who spend money like water. $100 for lobster salad is like the first family buying a slurpee.