• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How long do Tugers keep their cars?

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 2003 Chrysler Town and Country with 125,000 miles. I brought it new. I am truly going to drive this van until it dies. I also hate car payments so I am working overtime to pay mines off early. It's hard to believe I still have a pymt on a car with soo many miles, but I am doing what I can.

I don't plan to purchase again until my children become liscensed which is about 4 yrs away. They will definately get a bucket for driving from point A to B.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I reluctantly gave up my 1986 Subaru a couple of years ago because DH kept saying it was going to look like one of those cartoon cars one day and just lie down. It had 239,000 miles on it, looked terrible, but ran great and got terrific gas mileage.

My 1992 Subaru is with my son at college and has about 175,000 on it.

The 1997 Outback I drive to work has 169,000 miles on it.

I was going to test drive a Toyota Prius the other day that had 130,000 miles on it, but my mechanic sold it before I got over to the lot.

I drive them until they die beyond resurrection and seldom buy new, except for the Chrysler minivans DH likes to use to drive around the kids. I keep hoping to find a deal on an Odyssey that I can buy next time instead.

Sheila

fnewman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Platinum member: Diamond US Collection, Cypress Point I, Powhatan Plantation, San Luis Obispo.
Ten years minimum, unless some major mechanical defects crops up, it gets totaled, etc. In addition, I never buy new - usually something about a year old.

P.S. - it is interesting to see which brands people have managed to run for 200K + miles !!

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
My 1991 vehicle died this year, so I got myself a used 2006 Nissan Maxima. I know somebody who goes to auctions (she's been doing this for 20+ years) and she got me a great deal.

Joe L

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think i win the least amount of miles. I have a 2002 infiniti I35 with 35,000 miles. From NYC i've driven to Pittsburgh once, Cleveland once, Stowe, Vermont twice and Myrtle Beach once. My daily drive to work is 12 miles round trip though.

oldman

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife loves her 1999 Olds Silhouette. Has 175K and still getting 27mpg fully loaded and, unfortunately, as fast as she can drive it!

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a Honda Accord from 1989-2002.

In 2002, I bought another Honda Accord (Cowboys silver color)---and am only nearing 50K miles.

So, I hope to have it for at least 5 more years.

KenK

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
1993 Lincoln Town Car with 119,000. New from dealer then. No problems except tires & breaks and I just was recalled for something to do with the cruise control.

We just bought a new Town Car.....they were dealing and I think those cars are not going to be made anymore for the general public. Pricing via dealer for any new Signature Lincoln Town Car 2007 is just under $30,000. ( Thats $ 13,000 off list)

Sir Newf

TUG Member
Reaction score
3 years max. European cars only....need safety, reliability that only a new car (esp. European) can bring and comfort....

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Upscale.

1999 Olds Silhouette.
Whoa !

That's viewed as the Cadillac of minivans, right?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
1993 Lincoln Town Car with 119,000. New from dealer then. No problems except tires & breaks and I just was recalled for something to do with the cruise control.

We just bought a new Town Car.....they were dealing and I think those cars are not going to be made anymore for the general public. Pricing via dealer for any new Signature Lincoln Town Car 2007 is just under $30,000. ( Thats $ 13,000 off list)

I too am the owner of a Town Car, 2003 Executive.

Lincoln I believe has committed to a 2009 model year so far, but after that who knows.

The Townie is a great car, super reliable and very comfortable. You can get great deals on barely used ones.

NTHC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Las Vegas, Massanutten
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Regal Vista, Wyndham, Bluegreen, Diamond
When we were young and trying to keep up with the Jones' we had the newest and coolest every two years. Now I drive a 2002 Ford minivan and DH the same year Explorer. If we can't pay cash for the car, we don't buy it. Just bought a 2005 taurus for our son that he will drive until he can afford his own.

I have had my eye on this Saturn convertible lately though.......:D

Cindy

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
1990 Mpv

We have a 1990 Mazda MPV that we bought new. We've bought other vehicles since (including a 2000 MPV), but hate to part with this one. It has 127,000 miles and still runs and looks good.

Nancy

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Well I feel like I am in good company. Still driving my 94 Trans Am that I bought new. Had to drop a new engine at about 150K and it now has a total of 193,000 miles. Waiting to see the new Camaro and GTO in 2009 and may go for one of those then. Right now I just don't see anything I like in my price range.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hoc,
Afford it? That's Un-American and way too practical. :D :rofl:

Phil

Yeah, I know. I can be frivolous on other things. . . . like timeshares. ;)

TerriJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did buy a new car earlier this year as my old car had 90,000 miles on it. For the first time in my life, I paid cash. No more payments for us and it is great.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have 2 cars. One is a 1999 Honda Accord with 45K miles on it that I use to commute 2 miles each day to the park and ride lot, and occasionally take on an errand if the other car is not available.

My wife has a 2005 Acura MDX, which she also uses to commute to the park and ride lot, but we use it as a family car on the weekends. It is a 3 year lease that is up in April of 2008. The plan is that the wife's/family car will be a lease so that it will never be older than 3 yrs or so.

I am starting to rethink the lease situation because we put very little mileage on the car (around 5K per year) and in retrospect, I am sorry that I didn't buy the MDX as we love it so. The buyouy option is very expensive, I wonder if I can negotiate it down?

Joe

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 95 Saturn that I use for work only which has about 75000 miles on it. Bought it used 5 years ago, and plan to drive it to work until it dies of old age. It has been completely reliable so far, so hopefully it will be able to be driven to work as long as I am able to work. I only work about 3 miles from home.

My husband has a 2002 Ford 250, he is a private contractor - that is his work vehicle. So unless he needs another business deduction - he will keep right on driving it until it passes away.

"We" drive a 2001 Honda Odyssey van that we purchased used 2 years ago since we vacation within driving distance very often. The Honda has about 105000 miles on it - and until it gets too unreliable/expensive to keep up we will keep driving that. Since we really only use it on weekends/vacations it should last awhile. Have had NO problems with it yet.

My husband insists our next car will be a corvette or roadster of some kind - sort of a 2nd childhood thing to him, I believe!! I would go for another Honda van when mine became impractical.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Just converted to Hondas -new Civic LX and a 3 year old EX V6 Accord . Owned two older high end cars with high mileage. I was sick of the gas prices and repair costs. Love my Accord. The civic gets 38mpg.

We have owned different brands foreign and domestic from Ford,Lincoln,Fiat,Volvo,BMW,Mercedes,Nissan,VW and now Hondas.

One of my favorites was a 1991 Lincoln Town Car-old body not the new body that we bought for our son for college. What a ride with bench seats,super heat and a giant trunk. He still has it and it is about 160k miles on it.

We keep cars about 5-6 years and most of the time buy them 3-5 years old.
We both drive 25k-30K a year due to our commute. So in 4 years they have 100k miles on them.

Our sons bought their own cars that were 10-12 yrs old or we handed down ours. Dreaded car insurance.$$$$ for teen drivers.

PatShaver

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel like we have a fleet of cars too (4 cars for 3 drivers) -

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 214,000 miles and burning oil recently retired but kept for hauling.

2000 Chrysler LXi with 195,000 miles

1996 Pontiac Grand AM GT with 145,000 miles for teenage daughter

new 2006 Chrylser 300 Limited with less than 1,000 miles

We don't buy new anymore but ran across the new 2006 Chrysler 300 at a dealership for less than we could buy one with 20,000 miles on it. The dealer lost money on it and we were thrilled.:whoopie:

It's been so long that I've driven a new car that I feel guilty about driving it. I make excuses to get the Jeep out and drive it instead. I drove it to my daughter's horse show today rather than mess up the 300.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's been so long that I've driven a new car that I feel guilty about driving it. I make excuses to get the Jeep out and drive it instead. I drove it to my daughter's horse show today rather than mess up the 300.

In otherwords, you buy resale. :D

ajsmithtx

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I gave my '63 Ford Falcon to a charity auction, in Aug after owning it for 35 years and 232,000 miles. I am still driving my '91 300ZX which has 182,000 miles on it.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Goodbye P.T. Cruiser. Goodbye Dodge Magnum. Goodbye Chrysler Pacifica.

Internet news yesterday carried reports that the new post-Daimler owners of Chrysler Corp. have decided to drop 3 slow-selling models -- Chrysler P.T. Cruiser, Chrysler Pacifica, & Dodge Magnum.

Shux, Buick is down to just 3 models, I believe. Plymouth & Oldsmobile already went the way of the Edsel.

Sheesh.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​