• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Airlines new policy - - points expire at 18 months

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
AAdvantage members now must have mileage earning or redemption activity once every eighteen (18) months in order to remain active and retain their miles. Effective December 15, 2007, mileage balances will expire from AAdvantage accounts that have not had miles either earned or redeemed within the previous eighteen (18) month period. If the last activity in your AAdvantage account was prior to June 15, 2006, all miles subject to expiration will expire on December 15, 2007.
https://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/utility/mileageExpiration.jsp

Steel5Rings

Reaction score
What a bunch of garbage.

Just another way for them to stick it to the leisure traveler.

I suggest folks look at buying a magazine subscription to keep activity on the account....usually cost you 500 miles or so.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Easiest way to take care of this is to either
a) get a airline branded credit card and use it once a year
b) link your FF number to a hotel or rent a car use
c) use one of the many i-Dine options
d) redeem for a subscription
e) take a flight for $69 or so on one of the many week end fares (for example, Delta has a fare for $69 each way from Cincinnati to Tampa this week end and American has similar ones)

Cheers

lopil

TUG Member
Reaction score
Earn AA Advantage Miles

If you shop online you can earn Advantage miles through several different retailers. You will have to use the American Airlines link to enter the retailer's website. These include Macy's, Sears, Office Depot, Comp USA, Barnes & Noble, Target, JC Penney and Home Depot. There are several flower shops like FTD, 1-800-Flowers who offer 10 miles per dollar spent. You can send someone flowers and earn miles. You can find the list at https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/. If you are not a Fidelity customer you can also open and fund a non-retirement Fidelity Brokerage Account and earn 5,000 AmericanAirlines AAdvantage miles if you deposit $2,500 (you can use your savings from buying resale to do this).

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
The most challenging part of this new policy - and that of other airlines - is that it's a rolling 18 months expiration period. So it's not enough to remember to check your miles in December. Now you have to remember when your last miles posted and calculate 18 months from that date - or continually check your account online. If you keep several frequent flier accounts and watch out for other family members' accounts like I do, it can be quite annoying. Mileport helps, but it still can't pick up expiration dates for all airlines' miles.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
The most challenging part of this new policy - and that of other airlines - is that it's a rolling 18 months expiration period. So it's not enough to remember to check your miles in December. Now you have to remember when your last miles posted and calculate 18 months from that date - or continually check your account online. If you keep several frequent flier accounts and watch out for other family members' accounts like I do, it can be quite annoying. Mileport helps, but it still can't pick up expiration dates for all airlines' miles.

Just do one of the suggested earning opportunities above once a year, say in Dec., and you don't ever have to worry. Mark it on your calendar. :)

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I hate carrying a lot of different CC's but, it's almost a necessity to keep my FF mile accounts active. We generally go to Starbucks before heading into work. I just rotate through those cards to buy our coffee each night and pay them off online as I go. Nothing like flying on a FF ticket one cup of Starbucks at a time.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an AA-affiliated credit card, so my miles are safe.
But my wife's miles are still at risk (even though she's the principal user of the card!).

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the old jingle...

"We're American Airlines, doing what we do best"...

Now we know what they are best at doing:ignore: ...

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Reminds me of the old jingle...

"We're American Airlines, doing what we do best"...

Now we know what they are best at doing:ignore: ...

Actually, I can't think of anybody (at least who I fly) who has not gone to a 18 activity requirement although I am sure there are some.

Cheers

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
AA, CO*, UA and US = 18 months
DL = 2 years
NW = 3 years*

* = Unlike the others, there is no official expiration period. However, the airline reserves the right to cancel an account if inactivity continues for this period.

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm spoiled with Newark being my primary airport and 20+ years of preference for People Express - uh, I mean Continental.

I just like their attitude and American always manages to treat me like part of the cattle herd, maybe it's just bad luck on my part, but I am no fan.

I do have to give my most improved award to US Airways, reluctantly flew them last year and was shocked at how much they have improved and how great Charlotte Airport has become. They were impressive, maybe I should even forget about them driving 3 airplanes in 18 months into Flushing Bay (LGA-NYC) during the 80's. :ignore: (and Piedmont was a great discount option in the 70's)

And life is just too short to ever fly Northwest or Southwest or any airline named after compass points. Why are they so bad? I dunno the causes but they are...

Never flew United, we don't go to the same destinations apparently.

And I still don't forgive Delta for driving Pan Am under with a bad route deal and some reneging.

I've become my father I guess...

Perhaps it's time for a new subscription so my AA miles don't die of young age...

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do have to give my most improved award to US Airways, (and Piedmont was a great discount option in the 70's)

One reason I avoid Useless Air is what they did to Piedmont when they hoovered them up (not to mention the horror show called Philadelphia Airport aka the great airliner parking lot). :(

Piedmont was a great airline!:D

Cheers

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This change doesn't bother me because it's easy to get a couple of miles through free surveys, rewardsnetwork, subscribing to their emails, affinity cards, etc. What bothers me is the next change they will make: You have to earn miles by flying with them at least once every 18 months to keep the miles alive. Then, the time period will shorten to a year, and then there will be a minimum annual mileage requirement.

Those are the changes that concern me.

Joe L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to www.opinionplace.com Pick ur reward as AA miles. You get a survey every 14 days. You might not be accepted for a survey. If not you can go back in 7 days. I have a AA Citibank debit card, so it's not an issue for me. But still use Opinion Place to get those extra miles. Usually around 125 to 175 per survey. The surveys count as activity and extend the 18 month cut off.

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
What bothers me is the next change they will make: You have to earn miles by flying with them at least once every 18 months to keep the miles alive. Then, the time period will shorten to a year, and then there will be a minimum annual mileage requirement. Those are the changes that concern me.
I hope you're making these up :eek: