• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any new amazing restaurants in Cancun?

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's time for our annual trip to Cancun. Have any new exceptional restaurants opened in the last year? We especially love Mexican food...

Is the salsa at the Royal Resorts still that awful canned stuff? Every year I make my case for real salsa, or at least some pico de gallo. But every year... out come the cans!

nana7

TUG Member
Reaction score
SALSA...STILL THE SAME.

New resturant is Harry's...a little up scale but good.
We went to J. C. CAPTAINS south of the tri Royals and it was great.

Captains Cove is always good.
went to La Habichiuala...good food, good service, high prices.

La Cando Palo....WONDERFUL

steve1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin: Mission Hills, Desert Willow, Riverfront Mtn Villas, Kierland, Flex
Marriott: Grande Ocean, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs
Hyatt: Beach House, Coconut Plantation, High Sierra Lodge,
Four Seasons: Aviara, Scottsdale.
Royal Haciendas
We were in Cancan late January and tried a couple of restaurants where we had not previously been. The restaurants were not new (they were new to us). One was a Thai restaurant on the lagoon behind La Isla shopping center and the other was a Belgian restaurant on the lagoon by the Pok Ta Pok golf course. Both were beautiful, the food was terrific, and it was great to sit outside on the water and enjoy a great dinner.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the salsa at the Royal Resorts still that awful canned stuff? Every year I make my case for real salsa, or at least some pico de gallo. But every year... out come the cans!

At all the Royals restaurants we've always gotten real salsa - "salsa Mexicana" - fresh tomatoes, lime, cilantro, onion - they put it on the table before the meal.
The awful canned stuff comes with the happy hour chips - perhaps it's saltier so you buy more drinks? I agree that it's awful, and I've commented about it as well.

They sell the real salsa in pint containers at the Express takeout at the Royals.

Last edited:

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At all the Royals restaurants we've always gotten real salsa - "salsa Mexicana" - fresh tomatoes, lime, cilantro, onion - they put it on the table before the meal.
The awful canned stuff comes with the happy hour chips - perhaps it's saltier so you buy more drinks? I agree that it's awful, and I've commented about it as well.

They sell the real salsa in pint containers at the Express takeout at the Royals.

I guess I'll have to pay the big bucks and forgo the free stuff at the pool!
Thanks for the restaurant suggestions - I'll keep checking back and reading what everyone writes!

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
We were in Cancan late January and tried a couple of restaurants where we had not previously been. The restaurants were not new (they were new to us). One was a Thai restaurant on the lagoon behind La Isla shopping center and the other was a Belgian restaurant on the lagoon by the Pok Ta Pok golf course. Both were beautiful, the food was terrific, and it was great to sit outside on the water and enjoy a great dinner.

That Belgian restaurant is La Palapa and its at the Hotel Imperial Laguna on a side street.

jspang

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree it's worth the ride into town. Mocambo was one of our best dinning spots in Feb.

I second on you trying Mocombo, very nice, great food and they had music each night we were there. Try to get a table by the water.

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I second on you trying Mocombo, very nice, great food and they had music each night we were there. Try to get a table by the water.

Yes ask for a seat by the water. The sounds of the waves breaking was perfect and we enjoyed the sight of the full moon while we dined.

urban5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Cancun

The real fresh salsa is served at the Palapa Bar (Royal Mayan) if you ask for it.

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always found the margaritas at the Royals to be of the same poor quality as the freebie salsa. Way too much sour mix is added - and not enough lime & tequila! Anyway, I have finally figured out how to put the Spanish I am learning to good use.

I wrote up a couple sentences that describe how I like my drink made. I had my professor check it over for Spanish-correctness - and now I am ready for my trip.

In case you wondered..... the lines I shall be oft-repeating at the pool are:

Quisero una margarita. Pero, no prepara con sour-mix por favor. Yo
quiero solo tequila de plata, cointreau, jugo de limon, un poco de
azucar y hielo. No Sal por favor!

Me gusta la bebida con estos proporción:

2 oz tequila, 1 1/3 oz cointreau, 2/3 oz. Jugo de limon.

I like to be prepared.

nana7

TUG Member
Reaction score
JUST ASK FOR A GOLDEN MARGARITA ON THE ROCKS...PAY THE PRICE AND ENJOY.!!!!:cheer: as of 2 weeks ago: sometimes you would be CHARGED for the FRESH SALSA. DEPENDING on the waiter.!!!
and that was the ROYAL MAYAN HAPPY HOUR

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
JUST ASK FOR A GOLDEN MARGARITA ON THE ROCKS...PAY THE PRICE AND ENJOY.!!!!:cheer: as of 2 weeks ago: sometimes you would be CHARGED for the FRESH SALSA. DEPENDING on the waiter.!!!
and that was the ROYAL MAYAN HAPPY HOUR

Even the golden margaritas I received were fouled with sour mix - at least they have been for the last 10 years! Now... I'm just not taking any more chances.

I don't mind paying for a decent drink- I just mind paying for a lousy one that I end up depositing in the trash can.

And, I don't mind paying for the better salsa. Hey... I only have 2 drinks per day and one order of salsa - I don't think it will break the bank!

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
You might change the cointreau to Controy to avoid confusion.

I have always found the margaritas at the Royals to be of the same poor quality as the freebie salsa. Way too much sour mix is added - and not enough lime & tequila! Anyway, I have finally figured out how to put the Spanish I am learning to good use.

I wrote up a couple sentences that describe how I like my drink made. I had my professor check it over for Spanish-correctness - and now I am ready for my trip.

In case you wondered..... the lines I shall be oft-repeating at the pool are:

Quisero una margarita. Pero, no prepara con sour-mix por favor. Yo
quiero solo tequila de plata, cointreau, jugo de limon, un poco de
azucar y hielo. No Sal por favor!

Me gusta la bebida con estos proporción:

2 oz tequila, 1 1/3 oz cointreau, 2/3 oz. Jugo de limon.

I like to be prepared.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You might change the cointreau to Controy to avoid confusion.

Smart guy. If one is going to speak Spanish it makes sense to speak it properly.

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's good to use the correct term. However, to be perfectly accurate, controy isn't Spanish for cointreau - it's a Mexican orange-flavored liqueur that can be used as a substitute if cointreau isn't available.

That being said, I think I'll give this controy stuff a try while I'm there. It's about 1/3 the price of a bottle of cointreau - so if it's tasty - why not?

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
It's great in Margaritas ! I'm getting thirsty.:)

carlrocky

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
La Habichuela was a romantic place

The La Habichuela (the bean) was a nice place with good food and a great dining area in the outdoor garden. You must make reservations for the garden area. They get busy and those spots are popular. Prices are average for a nice place. And the garden area is ouside and all lit up with those small twinkling lights in an intimate walled area. Its in Cancun.. Take the bus and then get a cab for $2.50. Once you know how to get there you will only need the bus.

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK - thanks everyone for all the info! Looking forward to tomorrow. With luck , I'll be under a palapa by 9:30 in the morning! Gotta love those early morning flights....