• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice requested – physician using name of friend to write prescription for self

sstamm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't think identity theft or that my friend's medical record might be compromised. Good points. Will see my friend again tomorrow. In the meantime I think I will stop at my pharmacy. Have a good relationship with one of the pharmacists there. Bet he will have some practical advice, like where and how to report this, hopefully, with as few repercussions as possible for my friend.

Thanks so much for all the good advice. Will keep you posted.

Diane

If the drug is a controlled substance, which it likely is, this is definitely in violation of state and federal laws. The Controlled Dangerous Substances Act says that a prescriber may issue a prescription for a controlled substance for a legitimate medical purpose when acting in the usual course of professional practice. Ovbiously neither of those conditions exist in your friend's case.

Even if the state medical board is not interested in this, the DEA will be. Although not currently practicing, I am a registered pharmacist. When I was working, in addition to an agent in the state drug control office, we had a contact in the narcotics division of the local police department that we called when dealing with issue like this or forged prescriptions. The pharmacist that you mentioned you were comfortable with can probably give you information on who your friend should contact. If not, google Drug Enforcement Administration and you should be able to find a local division.

For her own protection as well as the public's and the physician's, she needs to report this. I agree with the poster who said it sounds like a cry for help from the physician.

Good luck to your friend. She's lucky to have your support.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or she could just go to the local police station and ask to speak with a senior detective in the Narcotics Division. They will know from past experience what the best method is for addressing the issues. They will also know who to contact in other agencies such as the DEA.

If your friend were to continue working for this woman after receiving that dispicable information, not only would the authorities think friend was complicit when they investigate, but the doctor would take friend's continued employment to mean that she is "okay" with the doctor's criminal behaviour. She has probably already filled many prescriptions under your friend's name and will continue to do so if your friend does not resign immediately and tell the doctor that if anyone asks her about it, she will tell the whole truth and "let the chips fall where they may."

By the way, are there any minor children living in the home? Friend may be endangering their welfare by not reporting the situation to the police.

I knew someone who was in a similar situation. Her threat to report the drug abuse to the police was enough to get the woman to overcome her addiction.

Joe L

TUG Member
Reaction score
The doctor needs help NOW. The fact that she was a Pediatrician makes it worse. How many children did she see when under the influence? How many diagnoses did she make when on drugs? If my child was under her care i would be irate. Maybe the only way she will get help is to be arrested and let justice take its course.

29 years NYPD

Last edited:

Diane

TUG Member
Reaction score
update

I went and talked to my pharmacist today. I have known him for years and trust him and his judgement. He said there are a lot of issues here, and that this is a matter taken seriously in the medical professions, even if they take a long time to investigate. Other points, not in any particular order:

1. my friend has to tell the truth (she would anyway, but he does not know her), that if she lied about this she could end up in jail while the doctor was out and free

2. that the doctor probably paid cash for the pain killers and that there would be nothing that would show up anywhere on my friend's medical records

3. that you don't want to mess with any insurance company. That if the doctor managed to used my friend's insurance information this could cause big trouble for the doctor. However, insurance companies do not always notify the insured when paying for medication for an insured. However, still not likely to cause a problem with my friend's medical history.

4. that my friend has no legal obligation to report this, only to tell the truth if asked

5. that it is important that my friend have a talk with the doctor, saying she is glad the doctor told her what she had done, but that she (my friend) will have to tell the truth about this.

He seemed to understand my feeling that what the doctor did here is despicable, picking out one of the most vulnerable people in her life, rather than any of the many others she know, including me. This doctor is a very selfish, self-centered person who has had every advantage in life, compared to her housekeeper who did not graduate from high school and has had to work hard for everything she has.

I have passed the pharamcist's comments on to my friend. She has told me it is ok to give the pharmacist the name of the doctor. I think this is good as the doctor lives close to the pharmacy in question and probably has, or will use it.

Thank you for all your suggestions and comments.

Diane

Last edited:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Your pharmacist gave you wrong advice. Your friend DOES have an obligation to report a crime to law enforcement. If she doesn't she could be considered an accessory after the fact especially if the Dr. continues to forge prescriptions in your friend's or someone else's name.

Diane

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pat -- thanks for your post. Could you please elaborate on what you said about my friend's obligation to report this. What is the basis or source of the obligation? I am trying to understand.

Thanks,

Diane

grest

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't you become an accessory if you do not report?
Connie

Diane

TUG Member
Reaction score
My friend has only the verbal statement from the doctor. Nothing in writing, no physical evidence. She is not going to lie about what the doctor told her. I don't see how she could be considered an accessory. Don't you have to do something to be considered an accessory, like lie or hide something?

Diane

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well Diane, after reading all these posts, your friend is an accessory to this illegal activity if she doesn't report it. By not reporting it, she is hiding this information from the authorities. Now I'm not sure what level of illegality, but it is her duty as a law abiding citizen to report this.

Diane

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you mean that anyone who knows of (but has no evidence of ) a crime must report it? And to whom, the pharmacist? the state medical board? local law enforcement? federal law enforcement?

Diane

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me put it simply as it can be a grey area in law or at least, hard to prove -"what did you know and when did you know it ?"..................

If having knowledge of a crime/illegal activity and you willingly conceal it, you can/may be implicated. Of course, this is sometimes hard to prove, but proving something and being forthcoming are two very different thing and it would be a wonderful world if doing the right thing was the first things that leapt to mind.

My area of concentration in law is biomedical-pharmaceutical, but we all have to learn basic torte law in whatever track we persue.

If I had knowledge of a fellow N.P. who was abusing scripts by diversion or falsifying prescriptions, I would approach her and ask her to turn herself into the Board and DEA. If not done within 24 hrs., I would have to. Not a problem.

Last edited:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Do you mean that anyone who knows of (but has no evidence of ) a crime must report it? And to whom, the pharmacist? the state medical board? local law enforcement? federal law enforcement?

Diane

Yes, exactly. It's not your friend's responsibility to get evidence, that's the job of law enforcement. She should report it to local law enforcement. I also think she should report it to the medical board.

Look at it this way - if the Dr. told your friend that she had committed a bank robbery, would she keep silent? Now I realize bank robbery is a more serious crime than forging prescriptions but the premise is the same.

Diane

TUG Member
Reaction score
My friend is not concealing anything. I appreciate your concern about a physician who would do this, which I share, but I also appreciate the burdens of legal proceedings, cross examination, etc. of my friend by an attorney who would no doubt be hired by the physician if this came to a hearing. My friend will not lie, is willing to give the specifics to the pharmacist who lives close to where the physician lives and to tell the physician that she (my friend) will not lie for her or about this. Where is the legal duty to do anything more?

Diane

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
My friend is not concealing anything. I appreciate your concern about a physician who would do this, which I share, but I also appreciate the burdens of legal proceedings, cross examination, etc. of my friend by an attorney who would no doubt be hired by the physician if this came to a hearing. My friend will not lie, is willing to give the specifics to the pharmacist who lives close to where the physician lives and to tell the physician that she (my friend) will not lie for her or about this. Where is the legal duty to do anything more?

Diane

By way way of thinking she IS concealing it. She knows about it and is not telling. Illegal?? I dont actually know - but morally, I think she is guilty if not reporting it. As in the bank robbery, or murder, rape or anything else - by knowing and not doing anything to prevent it she is enabling the situation to continue. Maybe not using her name next time, but someone else's.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My friend is not concealing anything. Where is the legal duty to do anything more?

Diane

I still believe she has a legal duty to report this alleged, serious abuse of controlled substances. But let's put it another way. How would your friend feel is somewhere down the line this physician was responsible for the death of a patient because judgement was impair by whatever she is taking? Even if your friend could say she had no legal requirement to report what she knew, she would have a level of moral responsibility in the outcome.
Which would be tougher to live with, reporting something said to her by the physician if the physician's claims turned out to be some kind of sick joke or a death which your friends actions might have prevented?
It might sound melodramatic here, but that is the bottom line of what could happen.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Concealing by omission or non-reporting, possibly.

The friend may be culpable for aiding/abetting through omission/witholding depending on a few more facts.

If my child was injured by this MD, I'd go after everyone that I could by casting a wide net including the bystanders. Juries would find against all parties involved.

Diane, you're a good friend to have. Sometimes, you've got to be cruel to be kind.

Some professions are mandated reporters to actions of this nature, child/elder abuse, etc. So we take a harder look at non-reporting. This could be some of the dynamics here.

Yes, true. It will be difficult for your friend if cross-examined on the stand, but it's hardly likely that this will see the inside of a courtroom as they will have the evidence (prescriptions) on the MD. What would be difficult would be for your friend to be sued, cross-examined and worse if after discovering the MD's miscondut, someone was harmed of killed.

Last edited:

Diane

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all your helpful thoughts and comments. They are genuinely appreciated and will be passed on.

Diane

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I do not know about legal opinions, but it sounds like we are dealing with a seriously impaired physician who should not be practicing medicine. Most state boards are obligated to investigate every complaint be they meritorious or not. Most complaints are in fact not meritorious. However, prescribing medications for yourself using another person's name would be a felony in the state of Texas. If this is actually taking place, the complaint would be meritorious and the state board would take action to protect the public.

Would you want a pediatrician high on drugs sticking a spinal needle into your child's neck while checking for meningitis?

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The first post said the physician was no longer practicing. I think this discussion has run its course.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked this question earlier, but received no reply.

ARE THERE ANY MINOR CHILDREN LIVING IN THE HOUSEHOLD????? The children could be in danger. A divorce was mentioned. Does the housekeeper know who the father/ex-husband is and how to reach him? If so, the information should be reported to him. If he does not take appropriate action, and anything tragic happens to the children, the guilt and possible legal culpability would be on him, rather than your friend.

Last edited:

laxmom

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
Reaction score
I am not certain but if she was ordered to undergo drug testing as a result of the custody agreement, wouldn't there have to be some history to base that on? This sounds like an exsisting and documented problem for the court to make that a requirement. That isn't a normal requirement.

I don't think that knowing about this but not reporting it without any proof would get your friend in any trouble. All the Dr. has to do is deny it and I think she knows that, otherwise she wouldn't have jeopardized everything by telling your friend about what she did. I do agree that there is some investigation looming for her to tell your friend that "if someone calls" not to be surprised.

Tough spot for your friend but I would want to distance myself from that timebomb before it blows!

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first post said the physician was no longer practicing. I think this discussion has run its course.

The post says no longer practicing - but obviously this person is still writing prescriptions, and something should be done about their actions.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't have to be actively practicing to write scripts. Your license needs to be current to be legal. Just an FYI here.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't have to be actively practicing to write scripts. Your license needs to be current to be legal. Just an FYI here.

Right, and THIS person has obviously abused the system and something should be done about it. She can legally write prescriptions - but what she did WAS illegal.