• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Caribbean Or Mayan

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked and we can get the Royal Mayan 1 bed for friends the same week we are at the Roayal Caribbean studio.

Question is: Outside of the obvious a 1 bedroom at the Mayan is better then a studio at the Caribbean, is there any reason why we should take the studio at the Caribbean instead of the 1 bedroom at the Mayan?

Thanks

sdbrier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mayan

As an owner at The Mayan I would suggest that it is a great stay. A 1 bedroom(suite) is always a better stay than a studio(lock-off). That would give you the option to dine in much easier and have the living room area to stetch out in. And in a pinch it will sleep 4. Although the other 2 are murphy beds. Still a short walk back to Caribbean if you wanted to dine at Tradewinds or use the gym facilities.

JEFF H

Reaction score
The Gym (FEE) for the Tri-Royals is located at the Royal Carribean.
All three resorts are connected together, stay at one play at all.
The one bedroom suite has a full kitchen,livingroom with stereo,dvd player,large balcony with table and chairs. Sleep two on the king-size bed in the bedroom and 2 more on the two murphy beds in the livingroom.
The Hotel units have two double beds small standing room only balcony,bar size refrig and coffeemaker.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked and we can get the Royal Mayan 1 bed for friends the same week we are at the Roayal Caribbean studio.

Question is: Outside of the obvious a 1 bedroom at the Mayan is better then a studio at the Caribbean, is there any reason why we should take the studio at the Caribbean instead of the 1 bedroom at the Mayan?

Thanks

This is not necessarily obvious - be sure you are not confusing the two types of 1 bedroom units. Your unit at the RC is a "suite", master bedroom etc.

Here are the two choices, basically the same at both the RM and RC except for decor:

1 bedroom "suite" sleeps 4 = bedroom + living-room + dining area + kitchen + bath + closet + dressing area + large terrace.

1 bedroom "lockoff" or "hotel room" sleeps 2 = just a bedroom + bath + closet + dressing area + tiny balcony

A 1 bedroom "suite" is far far better than a 1 bedroom "lockoff", no matter which resort it's part of.

What kind is available at the RM - the Suite or the Lockoff? You can tell by how many it sleeps - 4 for the Suite, 2 for the Lockoff.

Last edited:

JEFF H

Reaction score
Their is only One type of 1-bedroom unit available at the Royal Mayan,Carribean,Islander and Sands.
The Hotel unit is called a E for efficency by Interval International.
For a unit to be called a 1-Bedroom it must have a seperate living Space and bedroom. The Hotel unit does not meet this requirement.
Private owners will sometimes wrongly list the Hotel lock-off as a 1-bedroom in classified ads. Its a deceptive practice for a owner to do this and causes confusion.
Only the 2-Bedroom villa or 1-Bedroom suite can be exchanged at the Royal Mayan thru RCI or II
The Hotel lock-off Efficency side at the Mayan is not accepted by RCI or II
It can however be exchanged thru ISCO internal exchange system.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Their is only One type of 1-bedroom unit available at the Royal Mayan,Carribean,Islander and Sands.
The Hotel unit is called a E for efficency by Interval International.. . .

When II assigned us a Hotel-Room side it had an R for Room after the unit number. The 1-bedroom Suites through II have an S after the unit number.

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was having a laps in memory back when I started this thread. I was thinking I only have a studio, but I do have a 1 bedroom so if our friends go they can have a one bedroom at the Mayan.

Our reservation says 1 bedroom 1 bath. Good to know the gym is at the Royal.

Thanks everyone

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Gym (FEE) for the Tri-Royals is located at the Royal Carribean.

Does anyone remember what the fee is for the gym at the Royals? We thought we could get away with out a car rental for the whole week. I'd like your input on this as well. Maybe rent a car a day or two. What about a good, well stocked grocery store close to the Royals?

Thanks

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the cost is $5 a day at the Carribean, $10 a day at the Sands (includes the use of the wet room in the spa and I think they have weekly passes that are cheaper) and $8 a day at the Haciendas (not sure if the Haciendas fee includes the spa wet roo or not).

Michelle

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the cost is $5 a day at the Carribean, $10 a day at the Sands (includes the use of the wet room in the spa and I think they have weekly passes that are cheaper) and $8 a day at the Haciendas (not sure if the Haciendas fee includes the spa wet roo or not).

Michelle

That's not as bad as what I thought it could be.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it might be more like $7 or $8 a day at the RC....not sure.

The mini-markets at the Royals + the take-out at the RC will probably be enough unless you are doing really serious cooking. Wal-Mart, Sam's, and Costco are all available with a bus ride there and taxi or bus back, depending on how much stuff you buy. Some of the airport transportation services will add a grocery stop on the way from the airport to the resort at ~30-$35 for an hour. We've done it with and without a grocery store - pretty convinced that henceforth we'll just stick with the mini-markets and take-out and save a half-day of vacation. Search WalMart and groceries on Mexico and you'll find lots of info.

Also opinions vary on the car. Some get them, some don't. Busses are cheap and easy, and taxi prices aren't bad. Tours are all available in groups. A car is good if you want to get off the beaten path. We don't bother and don't miss it at all.

sdbrier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gym

At The Caribbean the fitness center is either $8.00/day or $38.00 for the week and it is closed on Saturday.

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pjrose - I'm thinking we would most likely want to eat most breakfast and Lunches in. I'll do more research on the groceries and the add on shopping from the airport is a great idea. As long as we can check in when we arrive, this would work great. Do they normally have your room ready when you've arrived? I think getting the groceries out of the way and enjoying the rest of the week is the way to go. We can use the mini market for odds and ends. I'll get with you closer to on details for transportation. Thanks for all your responses.

We'll have to see about the gym fees. I dont mind paying if I have access to the equipment I want, but if the gym is always crowded it may not be worth it to me.

Thanks

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check-out is 11, and the villas will almost always be ready by early afternoon unless the previous occupants were slow. If it's not ready when you arrive they'll call housekeeping to do it asap.

The mini-markets are well stocked, with just about everything except fresh meats, though there is frozen seafood, chicken, and steak. We get everything there for breakfast, lunch, snacks, desserts, drinks, and then get rotisserie chicken, ribs, spanish rice, salads, soups, more desserts at the take-out.

WalMart is kind of a fun outing if you want to see all the different things that are available, and its bakery is excellent and very cheap. Many (not all) prices at WalMart are less than the mini-markets, sometimes half, sometimes close to the same. Last time we stocked up for three teens and two adults, and honestly the extra $35 + tip ate up most of the savings, and meanwhile we all wanted to get to the resort instead of spending time shopping.

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pjrose,

I see your point on the extra taxi cost. Is there a good variety of inexpensive places to eat close to the resort? I did see the post for the place accross the street that has crocodiles.

Helene4

TUG Member
Reaction score
The place across the street is Captain's Cove. It is owned by the Royals. The food is good and the setting is superb.
Also, you can dine at any of the restaurants in the tri-resorts on Saturday after receiving your check in/out card using cash. Obviously El Conquistador is not open for business during the day, but is one of, if not the best, restaurant in Cancun.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
The place across the street is Captain's Cove. It is owned by the Royals. The food is good and the setting is superb.
Also, you can dine at any of the restaurants in the tri-resorts on Saturday after receiving your check in/out card using cash. Obviously El Conquistador is not open for business during the day, but is one of, if not the best, restaurant in Cancun.

The bold-faced part might be confusing to a Royals-newbie.....

Everything at the resorts is charged to your villa card and appears on your bill at the end of the week. No cash or credit cards are accepted EXCEPT after you have paid your bill on Friday night or Saturday morning. Then they'll give you a little check/out card that you can show so you can use a credit card or cash for your final meals or purchases.

In answer to the questions above, there are many good restaurants at different prices. Most will require a taxi or bus ride, except Captain's Cove (you can walk or use the resort shuttle - walking back is uphill) or the restaurants on-site. There are 2 at the RM, 1 at the RC, 2 at the RI (closed the week you are going), 2 at the RS, 1 at CIC, and Captain's Cove, and countless in the hotel zone and downtown.

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flight Arrangements

Hi Royal Experts: If I get a late afternoon returning flight will there be showers for us to utilitze before our flight? Also, how much time should we allow before the flight from resort so I have an idea on what time we want to book? If we have a later flight what should we do with our luggage?

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are showers available by the RM pool. You should be at the airport 2 hours before the flight. We leave the resort about 20-30 minutes beforehand when we're taking a taxi (the doorman can get one immediately) or have arranged a private van. If you are taking a shared van (Th. More) they'll pick you up earlier than that, I think 3 hours before flight time.

The bellmen will take your luggage to a storage area that's right beneath the lobby, and it can be called up quickly. A lot of people just take it into the lobby and leave it around, but it gets pretty crowded and really isn't a good idea if it's for awhile.

urban5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Cancun
Hospitality Room

Didn't the Royal Caribbean have a hospitality room downstairs with restrooms, showers, TV, and places to sit? I remember using this years ago when I had a late returning Saturday flight.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Didn't the Royal Caribbean have a hospitality room downstairs with restrooms, showers, TV, and places to sit? I remember using this years ago when I had a late returning Saturday flight.

Aha - I figured they must have one somewhere, but I didn't know where! The only showers I've noticed are by the RM pool, but I never looked at the RC.

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are showers available by the RM pool. You should be at the airport 2 hours before the flight. We leave the resort about 20-30 minutes beforehand when we're taking a taxi (the doorman can get one immediately) or have arranged a private van. If you are taking a shared van (Th. More) they'll pick you up earlier than that, I think 3 hours before flight time.

The bellmen will take your luggage to a storage area that's right beneath the lobby, and it can be called up quickly. A lot of people just take it into the lobby and leave it around, but it gets pretty crowded and really isn't a good idea if it's for awhile.

All of this is helpful! Thanks again PJRose

Joe L

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, the Royal Caribbean has a very large air conditioned hospitality room on the lower level with couches, chairs, tv's and shower/dressing rooms.

quezsmith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Royal Caribbean has a very large air conditioned hospitality room on the lower level with couches, chairs, tv's and shower/dressing rooms.

That's correct! It's at the end of the hall past the salon and Doctor's office.