• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Heading to Cancun this Sat

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
Finally, It seems its been forever since I booked this trip. Going to celebrate my 50th birthday so any dinner suggestions for my big day would be great.

Booked Cancun Valet for transfers, we just need to get packing!

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Staying at the Royals.

Helene4

TUG Member
Reaction score
the El Conquistador in the Royal Mayan has exceptinal food. also Locando Paolo on or near Avenida Uxmal is quite good.

Helene4

TUG Member
Reaction score
The El Conquistador in the Royal Mayan has exceptinal food. also Locando Paolo on or near Avenida Uxmal is quite good.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You're at the Islander, aren't you?

Go to El Conquistador - it's one of Cancun's finest restaurants, and just an easy walk through the Tri-Royals to get there and back!

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
No we're at the Caribbean. One of the Tri's wll be closed for maintenance, but I'm not sure which one.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Finally, It seems its been forever since I booked this trip. Going to celebrate my 50th birthday so any dinner suggestions for my big day would be great.

Booked Cancun Valet for transfers, we just need to get packing!

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Staying at the Royals.

John Gray's downtown is exceptional. It is in an upscale neighborhood and the food is fantastic.
Ilene:cheer:

urban5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Cancun
Maintenance Weeks

No we're at the Caribbean. One of the Tri's wll be closed for maintenance, but I'm not sure which one.

The Islander is closed week 36 starting Sept 4th of 2010, then followed by the Caribbean week 37, then the Mayan week 38. I also recommend the Conquistador.

Joe L

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you prefer a quiet romantic dinner the Conquistador at the Mayan. If you want to let loose, dance and have a great dinner-- live band night at Hacienda Sisal at the Sands.

jschmidt

Reaction score
All the restaurant suggestions are good.

However, I think the most memorable would be Captains Cove, which is across the street from the Royal Mayan. Why do I think it would be the most memorable? Here's why. First go there about a half hour before sunset and ask to be seated next to the water. Second have a drink of your choice and watch the sunset over the lagoon – very memorable. Third, as it is turning dark, order dinner and enjoy it. While you are eating dinner, look into the water and you will see several crocodiles. Throw them a dinner roll or two. Forth, take some pictures. Fifth, go dancing at Poncho and Willies, which is part of Captains Cove. Sixth, you will remember this forever.

The other restaurants are nice and they have very good food, but they are just restaurants with very little to remember.

Last edited:

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is all sounds excellent!

We arrive before 4pm Sat, do you think we'll make it to the resort for happy hour? We'll be leaving our home about 4am West coast, so I have a feeling we'll be ready to eat and of course have a cocktail.

buceo

Reaction score
Sometimes upon arrival there is a booze-cart at the curb at the airport near where the vans load. Can't recall, seems I haven't seen it lately, but take a look, happy hour then at 4:02.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
You'll be at the resort by 5, 5:30 at the latest - definitely in time for Happy Hour.

I agree that Captain's Cove is a great choice. Food is good, and the atmosphere can't be beat. It's owned by and across the street from the Royals (walkable if you don't mind an uphill walk back to the resort). Pancho & Willie are (or were?) two of the crocodiles that swim outside the restaurant.

Now I'll change my earlier post to All Three!

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
I'm on board with Captians Cove, too. They have some outstanding desserts, so leave room if you can. I appreciate the other suggestions, also as we will be considering a few other options this year also.

Mike

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not for your special dinner, but I suggest leaving Monday evening open for the Mexican Night at the Royal Mayan. For around $25 per person you get a buffet, all the Margaritas or soft drinks you want, and a show with Mexican dancers doing traditional dances of the Aztecs, Mayans, cowboys, etc etc. It's in the Palapa restaurant in the center of the Royal Mayan; semi-outdoors surrounded by the pools. Get there early enough to get a table close to the stage - stop by the Palapa Sunday or early on Monday to ask what time the buffet starts, and get there about a half hour earlier.

You won't use cash at the Royals - everything goes on your key-card - but bring some cash to put in the dancers' tip jar.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Take the shuttle to the Sands and walk about a block down and on the left side you will see La Destileria. Great restaurant with great food. Not overly expensive and nice ambience. We try to go at least a couple of times when we are in Cancun. Next trip 9/18.