• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resale Works for Us

travelplus

Reaction score
I have done lots of research here on TUGsBBS and have attended many Timeshare Presentations. When you are interested to buy in a particular destination it pays to do your research and even rent from an owner or use one of your other weeks to exchange there.

For instance we stayed a week in a Cascade Unit at the Ridge Tahoe 2 bedroom. We really enjoyed it and while staying there I looked up resales and found a 2 bedroom/2 bath Cascade Unit for $1,200+$980 Maintenance Fee. We purchased it and then have been using it ever since.

As we have other weeks in Interval we have piggybacked them to our Owner Week. Its very helpful to stay 2 weeks or more in one destination to really get to know the area.

Another point we were in Sedona Arizona for 3 weeks.During that time I attended various Timeshare Presentations and enjoyed the Sedona Summit so we found a Resale Online while we were staying at another resort. We got a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom Floating Red Week for $99. The total was $1,200 which included the Maintenance Fee for 2016. Other units were going for more. Closing was included in the cost.

A few years back in Scottsdale we found the Diamond Scottsdale Villa Mirage and got a 2 Beddroom 2 Bath for $900 and the MF is $980 a year.

What you should do before buying anything is to tour the area where you would like your Home Resort. See the resort during the day and night weekends/weekdays. How is the Front Desk Staff? Make a call to the Front Desk and ask questions and see how well they respond.

Go to a Timeshare Presentation and ask all the questions you want and tour a unit. While your unit may be in a different phase more than likely the units will be updated to look just as good as the new units they show you. The Sales Rep does not know you are planning to buy resale. Ask to see the pool, fitness center etc. Use this as your Free Educational Session.

While 90 minutes does seem long in the end you can decide whether or not the resort works foryou.

Remember it helps to have a Home Resort that is easy to get to within 4 hours like our Lake Tahoe Resort. Find out how easy it is to use your Owner Week. Then you can have a Secondary Home Resort in another area that is easy to fly to like Sedona its a 90 minute flight plus a 2 hour drive. While some say its long its not all that bad if you are staying for more than a week.

Point Programs add fees such as Program Member Fees and the Maintenance Fees can be considerably higher than the traditional week owners. For us its not worth going to Tahoe for 2 nights in a Studio. Renting a Car or buying a Flight or Cruise is a poor use of points. You don't save much. Find out the point value(how many cents per point).

Having a Deeded Week is better especially if you plan on not exchanging it. You may decide to only enroll in RCI or Interval on a yearly basis if thats all you need. Don't just enroll in Interval or RCI if you are not planning to use their Getaways or Exchanges. Join TUG BBS and Redweek.com where you can exchange weeks or rent weeks. All you may pay is the Rental Feel +Guest Certificate so essentially you could get bonus time at your Home Resort anytime you see a listing.

Also be sure you record the deed into a Family Trust and name everyone in the trust who will be able to use it. Be sure you get a copy of the Deed and make a copy and put it into a safe or with your Trust Lawyer or Trustee.

Ensure you are given what is owed to you. For instance if the Deed says week 50 but you own a Floating week fix the discrepancy right away. Also get an Estoplell Letter which confirms the week owned by the Seller, If their fees are paid up and the History of the Resort Fees Special Assessments and Maitnenance Fees.

Overall resale is the way to go. As soon as you purchase directly from the developer your unit depreciates so much to the point that your $20,000 goes down the drain and most of the fee is Commission to the Agent, Resort Fees, and the Gifts you get are more than likely built in to the inflated cost.

If given $20,000+ I would rather buy a nice car that gets use every day rather than a week that gets used once per year. Your cost of Membership can increase and the Point Values can change anytime like Frequent Flier Miles.

Weeks are weeks and you may be able to split your unit to get 2 weeks and pay an upgrade fee to get a 2 bedroom for a second week.

With RCI you can split your 2 bedroom Lockoff. Lockoff is the best way to go as you can split it and get 2 weeks in a 2 bedroom depending on how the Trading Power is for the time you want.

Play around with Interval/RCI and figure out how to maximize your useage. Ask owners at the resort you are staying at about how they like the resort, their experiences with the trading, how well the resort upkeep is etc. If you are not comfortable buying now wait. There will always be a better deal.

People rush to buy only to waste time rescinding and then they come here to TUGSBBS and are told to purchase on resale. The same amount of effort minus the sales pitch can save you tons of money. You are not forced when buying resale to buy at the first offer. You can make an offer. So many times the person selling it wants to get rid of it because they are on a fixed income and would be happy to pay the closing costs just to get rid of it.

Remember a timeshare is just a different way of vacationing. Its an investment to your vacation. Think about how happy you will feel buying the Timeshare for less than the Developer at 50-90 percent or even a 100 percent off the cost. People that I have talked to wish they had bought on resale when I told them how much we paid for our resale.

The extra bonuses such as Free Interval Membership do not even add up to what is being offered on resale. Yea a free vaction to Hawaii with airfare has restrictions and you end up paying the taxes. An upgrade to a 2 bedroom may not be guaranteed and is based upon availability.

Always get Floating Weeks as they have more value. Do not buy in places like Orlando as they are overbuilt. Make sure you get a 2 bedroom lockoff as you can split it. A Studio or 1 bedroom may only save you a bit but then when you have a 2 bedroom Lockoff you can invite friends or Family and have the option to split it. A 3 bedroom is even better if you want to split it.

Happy Timesharing To you. MOds you can put this as a Sticky and I look forward to hearing comments and answer any questions. My mission is to help you save money and enjoy Timesharing to its fullest without the guilt of paying a huge upfront fee. Resale+Relaxation=Rejuvination an you can Rejoice knowing you saved tons of money.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
My mission is to help you save money and enjoy Timesharing to its fullest without the guilt of paying a huge upfront fee.

Please clarify exactly what you are offering? Are you in a timeshare related business?

MOds you can put this as a Sticky and I look forward to hearing comments and answer any questions.

Thank you for sharing your perspective about timesharing, but we already have many similar articles on the TUG Advice page, which is already linked in a sticky at the top of this forum.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
About 20 years of so ago I divested my expensive Marriott Weeks (without suffering a loss) and bought 6 Fixed Unit, Fixed Weeks at various places around the country for about $5,000. I found that one of the biggest benefits of having bought these Weeks resale was when I decided not to travel anymore and wanted out, there was no big loss to recognize.

George

Here There

TUG Member
Reaction score
Similar/Dup. post here: http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1871426#post1871426 I also question their agenda.
It appears that the OP is trying to justify that they did right by having bought several deeded weeks in the resale market after having done research & wanted to share their unbridled enthusiasm with other newbies. One potential harm is that such a one-sided pitch could unwittingly steer someone down another rabbit hole by owning the wrong type of or more TS than necessary.

Might be better for newbies to first answer the list of questions and be totally honest with one's wants & needs, be aware of the pitfalls, and see if renting might serve as a satisfactory alternative. Over the course of one's TS ownership there might be lifestyle changes -- eg income swings, nest shrinkage & expansion -- so one needs to be careful about hopping on any buying bandwagon.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
MOds you can put this as a Sticky and I look forward to hearing comments and answer any questions?

What you could do is bump this thread every so often when you have more tidbits to add. Besides, from my personal observations, bumped threads tend to get more looks and responses than occasional responses on sticky threads. :shrug:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Hmm.

Thanks Travelplus for sharing your thoughts on buying timeshares....
I will make a comment or two. (Surprise ;))

Many of your thoughts and observations are relatively universal and could be very good suggestions to someone new to TS vacations. I would also like to point out that some of your observations are not necessarily "one size fits all...'' and reflect what was perfect for you--at that point in time. Examples: Float weeks--for some, fixed weeks are the only choice that makes sense, Weeks vs Points--for some, points systems provide the flexibility and ease of building vacations day-by-day or stringing non-consecutive weeks together, Trust deeds/family names on deed--may not be allowed or a good idea (a whole separate topic).

My point is: Your suggestions to carefully research and try before you buy are spot-on. But, you need to determine what is right for your own family's needs--including a bit of thought to the future (kids schedules, size etc..). Some of the very generalized statements (lock-off and get two weeks of 2br units...) are what tend to get people dissatisfied with TS's in the first place. IMHO

I'm not critiquing your post, just reminding people that one size definitely does NOT fit all!! :ponder:

travelplus

Reaction score
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. Yes I do agree a "One Size Fits All" approach is not good. What works for one may not work for another. Everything is subjective if you know what I mean.

My post is guidelines and by no means does not mean it will work for you. Furthermore I emphasized researching before you buy because I want you to buy the best timeshare that works for you. Individualized purchases are very important. Just like some people won't be happy unless they have a Maserati yet some will be happy with a Lexus.

If you go and buy something that will have you frustrated then by all means don't buy it. I have spoken with so many people who have purchased something and could not use it and got frustrated because they did not research it fully. Its best to err on the conservative side as opposed to spilling your money for something that you won't be happy with whether now or down the road.

There are some people who buy something because they are caught up in the moment and their emotions speak over their mind and they bought something they would regret later on. They get caught up in the Developer Speech at a Timeshare Presentation and say"Heck this sounds too good to be true"."We have not vacationed for a long time". Then the people who did not take the time to research it here on TugsBBS did not rescind in time and are stuck with a purchase they wish they had never made.

If you have a Timeshare Presenter pushing you to buy you can use a term like"I need to speak with my lawyer or Financial Adviser". However they are out of town until X Day and we cannot make such a decision right now. Then the closer crunches numbers and you still hold firm with contacting your financial adviser or lawyer. After this you can part ways. If they push a Financing Plan mention that it does not work for you as still you owe them the money and you don't want to pay the high APR. Even if they say 0 APR for the first six months it still has other issues.They don't like to hear this as they expect an answer today.

Define happiness. Would paying $30,000 dollars make you happy owning just a week? Would paying more help you to enjoy your vacation? Some would rather buy an RV or get a Timeshare on the resale market and use the savings to go to Europe every year and use the timeshare.

You would get sad people and angry people knowing they were cheated by paying the high price for the exact same unit they could have got at a highly reduced price.

Happy Travels to one and all!!!!!!!! Again please feel free to comment and I will try and reply in a timely manner.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
OK, but what does this mean:

My mission is to help you save money and enjoy Timesharing to its fullest without the guilt of paying a huge upfront fee.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, but what does this mean:

Denise

I agree with you, The guy has an agenda and we dont know what it is.

But who cares,

and it is possible that there is no agenda> His Mission sounds a lot like Tugs, Maybe he just wants to help and spread the "truth"

The Timeshare User's Group, started in 1993 by a group of Timeshare Owners just like yourself, is a family run self-help organization providing an unbiased source of consumer oriented information and advice on Timeshares and the Timeshare concept. Here at TUG you get the truth about timeshares!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ron - I'm completely shocked! Are you really saying that you don't think it's important to keep commercial offers out of the discussion forums? I would have never guessed! :rolleyes:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron - I'm completely shocked! Are you really saying that you don't think it's important to keep commercial offers out of the discussion forums? I would have never guessed! :rolleyes:

No its not important to me, I use Tug to further my own agenda (plural) one of which is commercial.(see my website below)

There was no offer in the original post. but there will be if travelplus answers your question