• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchasing 2nd ts on points system

tanners7

TUG Member
Reaction score
We purchased a Kauai Marriott timeshare 15 years ago on a resale. We stay at our home resort once every three years and trade into other Hawaii and beach destinations the other two years. We usually arrive 3-4 days early and stay at various hotels (usually a distance from our trade in order to explore the areas in which we are staying). We are presently averaging between 700-1400 for these stays.
I was wondering if we purchased a point based system in another state with low maintenance fees if we would be able to trade into these higher demand areas. We are retired, so we usually travel during off peak times.

Ace

Reaction score
My situation is loosely similar to yours (except I made the mistake of buying at a timeshare presentation instead of resale), so I thought I would respond to this. There are many people on this forum with much more timeshare experience than I have, and I am a newbie on this forum, so take my comments with a grain of salt. I am an RCI member, and I use the RCI system and RCI points. I do not know anything about other points systems or memberships. Obtaining the RCI membership was part of my original purchase process, and my original purchase was a "points" week.

There is at least one resort I know of with relatively low maintenance fees and relatively high points, and there may be others that are better deals. I have been there a couple times so far (it is not the resort I bought at the timeshare presentation). It is Grandview at Las Vegas. It is an RCI Gold Crown (i.e., top tier, five star, etc.) resort. I went to a timeshare presentation there (didn't buy at the presentation that time). It looks like their maintenance fees are around $375 for a 1-bedroom unit. The fees for 2-bedroom units are double that. (At Grandview, "2-bedrooms" actually are 2 individual, adjoining 1-bedroom units. You go in a main locked door from the hall, and then there are separate locked doors into each unit.) 1-bedroom units get 49,000 points for most weeks of the year (double that for 2-bedroom units). A few weeks are either 30,500 or 40,000 points, and there are some weeks with 61,000 points. (Again, double those amounts for 2-bedroom units.)

You can search various resale websites to find deals. There also are deals on eBay. There is even a website for "free" timeshares, with the sellers presumably paying all closing costs. One such website is Sumday Vacations (I saw decent reviews for them on this forum). Theirs are not free, but you can find Grandview timeshares on there for $29 ("clearance" price), many around $350, some around $600, and then there are some listed for higher prices. Again, it seems the sellers are paying all the closing costs for these. You can also find deals like this for other Gold Crown resorts, but watch out for higher maintenance fees. Of course, I wish I would have known about these resale deals before I spent so much money the first time.

I am in the process of buying a 1-bedroom triennial unit at Grandview for $349 through Sumday. This is a once-every-three years use, and the maintenance fees and points are spread through the 3 years - in other words, 1/3 of the maintenance fee and 1/3 of the points each year. The process seems to be going smoothly, and the only holdup is I am in the middle of the 10-day cancellation period, and Sumday is probably not doing anything until this 10-day period runs out. I probably will not use the points to stay at Grandview. I am saving the points for use elsewhere, because Grandview is one of those that seems to always have "last call" deals on RCI (currently $279 for the week, and then there sometimes are sales for lower than that). The same units that have "last call" deals also seem to be available for discounted points (under 10,000), although RCI will charge an exchange fee, which I think is $179.

So, I think what you have in mind should work. You just need to shop for a good deal, a good, high quality resort with relatively low maintenance fees, and make sure you get enough points to use at the resort you want to go to.

One thing to look out for. If you want to use points, you should make sure you are buying a "points" week and not a "weeks" week. RCI explained the difference to me. Sumday will indicate in their listings how many RCI points each unit is worth, and if they do that, I assume it is a "points" week. If there is no reference to points, I assume it is a "weeks" week. (I saw "diamond" points in one of their listings - I have no idea what that is.) The difference is that you need RCI points to use at other resorts. (It might be possible to exchange weeks as well through RCI; I have not investigated that.) From what I understand, if you have (or buy) a "weeks" week, it costs a lot of money (perhaps thousands for some reason) to turn it into a "points" week. The triennial Grandview week I bought indicated it came with RCI points.

A "points" week is still a deeded week, although I have seen listings for "floating" weeks as well. When they say "floating" weeks, it still might be deeded weeks, but they might be saying that because you are not locked into using your deeded week, i.e., you can "float" to other weeks. All of the Sumday listings I looked at refer to a specific deeded week.

I called RCI to find out how to get my week entered into their system after the closing, and it seems like a simple process and should work. They said the cost is $0 (as long as it is a "points" week). I will find out later how well this works.

If you are not already an RCI member, you will have to become one to do this. I do not think it is too costly.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> A "points" week is still a deeded week, although I have seen listings for "floating" weeks as well. When they say "floating" weeks, it still might be deeded weeks, but they might be saying that because you are not locked into using your deeded week, i.e., you can "float" to other weeks. <snip>

Kudos. You're certainly gaining a sound and solid grasp of what can sometimes be a source of confusion on Planet Timeshare. :clap:

Fwiw, yes even a "floating" week will still have an underlying deed reflecting a specific unit / week, although that deed-identified unit / week is mostly just for inventory control purposes (i.e., to ensure that a facility does not attempt to sell more unit / weeks than can even possibly mathematically exist in a given year at a facility).
There are actually some facilities where all ownerships are "floating" weeks (Coconut Mallory in Key West, FL comes to mind as one personally known example).

"Floating" week restrictions can be tricky --- and are usually completely invisible without verifying applicable details directly with the resort, since any applicable reservation "seasons", limitations or "blacked out" periods are rarely (if ever) even remotely mentioned within a deed. I learned this lesson (...yes, the hard way :eek:) many years ago in my very first timeshare purchase, when I bought a "floating" week ownership whose weeks eligible for reservation did not include any week or season that I would ever have wanted to reserve or use there. I ended up giving that ownership away for next to nothing within a year (fortunately, I had paid very little for it in the resale market). The seller never disclosed to me the very restrictive "floating" week reservation constraints and limitations at that facility and, at the time, I simply did not yet know enough about timeshares to ask all of the right questions and / or to dig deeper for that missing, invisible (...but critically important) detail.

Live and learn.

Last edited:

Here There

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vacation Internationale: great Hawaiian footprint + reasonable MFs

We purchased a Kauai Marriott timeshare 15 years ago on a resale. We stay at our home resort once every three years and trade into other Hawaii and beach destinations the other two years. We usually arrive 3-4 days early and stay at various hotels (usually a distance from our trade in order to explore the areas in which we are staying). We are presently averaging between 700-1400 for these stays.
I was wondering if we purchased a point based system in another state with low maintenance fees if we would be able to trade into these higher demand areas. We are retired, so we usually travel during off peak times.

I bought a minimal VI membership (70 pts EOY, 10 yr RTU) on ebay ($1) to go specifically with my annual Hawaiian trades. I might arrive or depart several days before or after a regular week to enjoy a different scenery or to take advantage of non-weekend airfare. This year to plan around a MemorialDay Oahu event, I booked 11 days at Fairway Villa to arrive & depart midweek. I also bought their PointProtectionOption ($45) which allows me 100% refund of my points should I need to cancel at the last minute for any reason, which I did when my trade for a week at HHV came through. I plan to use a combo of these 2 tactics for the remaining term of my RTU.

What's great about VI's Hawaiian resorts is their prime oceanside locations, plus their reasonable cost for off peak stays which are charged the same rate as the mainland resorts, and the 4-year usage period for their points. Current MF is $7.55/point and you can rent shortfalls @$10.

https://www.viowners.com/resorts/

What will your stay cost in points and dollars?

Fairway Villa Stu 1bd 2bd
Maximum Occupancy 3 4 4
Prime
December 15 - April 30 11.5 15 18.5
Choice
July 1 - August 31
November 16 - December 14 10 13 16
Quiet
May 1 - June 30
September 1 - November 15 8.5 11 13.5
Confirmed reservations will be charged a Reservation Booking Fee. ($20)