• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What and where to buy - my survey

LurkerBee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation
Despite just setting up an account today, I've been reading for hours and hours.

About us: 40-something couple, no kids. Love to travel, but commutes and careers have gotten to the point we don't do the go-go-go vacations anymore. While that was great before, now we see the appeal of relaxing, with activities mixed in. I'm thinking of timesharing, in particular, for our annual winter trip. I must be south of Ft. Myers on the winter solstice, and if it extends through Christmas, even better. But I'm also happy enough to fly home, or add on a day or two in Miami. High dessert is also reasonable.

Timeshare background: My parents own two fixed weeks at a resort in the NC mountains that is mostly non-timeshare. They love them and go twice a year, every year. I found it boring as a kid although I think adults love it (I haven't been since I was 16-ish). I fear they won't be easy to get rid of when the time comes nor useful for trading. In-laws own a lot of HGVC points, and have offered to put us on the deed for some of them - not to use the points, but so we can have access to (something extra - maybe night that you pay cash for?). But they have also mentioned they aren't sure the would recommend them, and have been frustrated by the extra fees for this and that.

Things I am considering (in no particular order): (a) Marriott Surf Club (b) Another Marriott somewhere cheaper, but tradable, (c) Wyndam points based at the Wyndam Sedona (is a home resort as important with Wyndam points?), (d) Divi resorts RTU, (e) a condo in the Keys, (f) just taking a cruise every year

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?

Sedona, Caribbean, South Florida - but probably not Orlando unless use it for cheap fees and tranding power. If I go by the "want to go to home resort at least every other year" - then I would say St Maarten, Aruba, Key West, Marathon FL, Sanibel Island, Sedona

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

Probably trade.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Warm and Sunny, with fishing and snorkeling options. People say we are weird, but we have no desire to deal with the flights from the east coast to Hawaii. I'd rather go to Europe in the spring/fall for those flight prices and times.

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

Just the two of us

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

Any time. But I am focusing on the winter time. Weeks 50-8.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Yes, but we also can plan within 3 months.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Yes.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

4-5

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

Of course I want to play as little as possible, but I will also say that the Marriott Surf Club is on my radar and price and fees are only mildly scaring me off.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

I tend to suffer from analysis paralysis on a regular basis, but I also am really good at spending lots of time to get good deals and maximize things.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Yes.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

Of course I want to play as little as possible, but I will also say that the Marriott Surf Club is on my radar and price and fees are only mildly scaring me off.

Very few readers will have any idea what this resort costs - it would be more helpful if you posted numbers.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You might want to take some time renting (it may be more expensive than owning-looking for warm weather beaches during snowbird season) for a year or two and try out different resorts. It will give you a chance to try different resorts rather than buying one that might not be a good fit for you. A couple who usually travels without others and is content with going out for most meals might actually do better with a hotel. You also might want to find the perfect fixed every other year fixed or float (during the season you want) timeshare and leaving the other year open to non timeshare trips. Weeks 50, 1-3 are going to be a lower season. Weeks 4-8 are going to be high (platinum) season at the locations you are looking at.

LurkerBee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation
You might want to take some time renting (it may be more expensive than owning-looking for warm weather beaches during snowbird season) for a year or two and try out different resorts. It will give you a chance to try different resorts rather than buying one that might not be a good fit for you. A couple who usually travels without others and is content with going out for most meals might actually do better with a hotel. You also might want to find the perfect fixed every other year fixed or float (during the season you want) timeshare and leaving the other year open to non timeshare trips. Weeks 50, 1-3 are going to be a lower season. Weeks 4-8 are going to be high (platinum) season at the locations you are looking at.
We have been renting condos and such for the past 5-8 years. 3 in the keys, one in sanibel, one in St Thomas, a couple cruises thrown in. That is costing us roughly $2k/year during that season. We tend to eat out at most one meal a day, and we love to have our own kitchen.

To answer the previous questions asking for more specific numbers - I was looking at the Marriotts in the $5k-$15k range plus ~$1300/year mf. But I'm also considering Wyndham points in the almost-free range plus $800/year or Divi resorts, roughly under $1000 plus $800-900/year. None of this would be an issue not require financing.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I suggest renting the timeshares you are thinking about especially the Aruba ones, maybe a week in the Marriott and a week in the Divi and see what you think before buying, maybe even trying a few different Wyndham's in the areas you are interested.

LurkerBee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation
I suggest renting the timeshares you are thinking about especially the Aruba ones, maybe a week in the Marriott and a week in the Divi and see what you think before buying, maybe even trying a few different Wyndham's in the areas you are interested.
Oh! I'm following you now! I have stayed in the Wydham Sedona (and Sedona Summit) a few years back when I had access to super cheap rates ($300/week). Back when I had that access, I never would have considered purchasing, but that is gone.

Renting in all of them, or staying at resort rates is just so expensive! Plus it would take another 5 years to try them all, one week a year.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
..... But I'm also considering Wyndham points in the almost-free range plus $800/year.

CLUE: Nothing in Wyndham-land near the beach in South Florida in fixed weeks is under $800/year in MFs. I think the 2/2 units run about $1100-1150 per fixed week.

In points, ADD another $69 per week for CWP/CWA fees for a studio. Add $77-88 per week for a 1bdr unit and $112 per week for a 2bdr unit.

LurkerBee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation
CLUE: Nothing in Wyndham-land near the beach in South Florida in fixed weeks is under $800/year in MFs. I think the 2/2 units run about $1100-1150 per fixed week.

In points, ADD another $69 per week for CWP/CWA fees for a studio. Add $77-88 per week for a 1bdr unit and $112 per week for a 2bdr unit.
Thanks! The Wyndam I referenced was in Sedona. Just double checked, its $886/year with 154k points.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Congrats on doing your research before buying!

I'm going to suggest that you buy something you can drive to.
Also, something that has a high demand in case you want to sell or give it away later but also because it's most likely to trade well.

My personal experience is that you should get a good deal but don't cheap out. Wait it out and get what you want - don't settle for less than you want.

LurkerBee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation
Just to update - I have ruled out the Caribbean. Despite Southwest now flying to parts, the flights are just too pricey for a regular visit.

I've now turned my focus to Hyatt, with Marriott still a possibility. After spending some time with the ILs, I'm not sold on the HGVC option. Hyatt can put me in Sedona or Key West regularly.

As for driving distance - while I get that, it is not for us. We haven't taken a driving vacation in... ummm.... 10+ years? We don't like the mid-atlantic and want to get far, far away when possible, and I don't road trip over 6 hours (rarely over 4).

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The Wyndam I referenced was in Sedona. Just double checked, its $886/year with 154k points.

The Wyndham Sedona MF aren't too bad. You should know that the time you want to go, pre-Christmas and even Christmas week, are pretty easily reserved at 10 months, so you don't need to hunt for a Sedona contract in particular, just find the lowest MF per point contract available and you should be good to go there. South Florida may be a different story, so you might want to focus your contract search on those resorts, IF you decide on Wyndham.