• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Having really hard time exchanging

tbenton

Reaction score
For over 30 yrs we have gone to Club Land'or resort on Paradise Island, Bahamas and never exchanged. April 2013 we decided to exchange for Cocoa Beach Fl to be near daughter and best friends for 2 wks in early Nov. They always fuss that we go to Bahamas and never visit them and yes we have invited them to Bahamas but they say climate is same so not interested...lol. Club Land'or has Flex Plus/internal exchange and uses many exchange companies and in 24 hrs we had our exchange and it was a great place so we decided to do that every other year. Two weeks ago I gave them a window of Oct 1-mid Nov (staying away from Thanksgiving week) and there is nothing available in or near Cocoa on the ocean (we 'have' to be oceanside). We are devastated. After such a seamless exchange in 2013 we 'thought' it would work same this time but they say there is no inventory. Granted there are not that many timeshares where we need to go but they are large ones and hard to believe that everyone is using their weeks during the 6 week window I need to book in.

Are there any exchange alternatives other than what Land'or uses or the TUG exchange? I already checked TUG and nothing where we need to
go. As you can see we are not experienced with exchanging and don't know what to do now. Can't give them a larger window because we don't want to go to a warm climate when its still warm here in Virginia and want to go before end of the year.

Please do not reply to 'rant' about Land'or. Things are improving there and its like our second home and we have grown old with it and are happy there.

Thanks

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think they were dropped by RCI so that is not an option. You can check with DAE, Platinum Interchange, Trading Places, etc to see if they accept your week in their program. You are targeting low season but you also are expecting a quick exchange and sometimes it takes months for an exchange to come through. Only really overbuilt places like Orlando, Williamsburg, Branson, Vegas, Massanutten have an abundance of inventory just sitting waiting to be taken.

tbenton

Reaction score
I think they were dropped by RCI so that is not an option. You can check with DAE, Platinum Interchange, Trading Places, etc to see if they accept your week in their program. You are targeting low season but you also are expecting a quick exchange and sometimes it takes months for an exchange to come through. Only really overbuilt places like Orlando, Williamsburg, Branson, Vegas, Massanutten have an abundance of inventory just sitting waiting to be taken.
Its not really clear if RCI dropped them or they got out of RCI because of their expanded internal exchange network. Depends on who you talk to. Land'or network includes the exchange companies you mentioned as well as DAE and several others BUT how can I exchange without going thru Land'or? Can't afford to join a bunch of them just to 'try' and would Land'or 'let me' do that on my own. Keep in mind that Land'or is not a traditional timeshare. Its a 'right to use' lease type arrangement. We also have charter member Flex Plus free exchanges right now but I would gladly pay an exchange company to get what we want when we want it. Yep its off season when we want to go and thats why we are upset that we can't get exchange.

I always book in the spring because airfare is low that far out and we like to have everything locked down early so its all done. Seats are hard to get to Bahamas and Florida as the year goes on. My goodness.....I will lose my mind if it could take months to maybe get an exchange. Spoiled after the ease of the 2013 process....sigh!

Looking for creative ideas to get where we want to go in Cocoa. We got Ocean Landings last time and just loved it. Older but really beautiful oceanside renovated units and we wanted it to be our 'second home' stateside. Other two there are Discovery Beach and Resort at Cocoa. It was wonderful to be on vacation for the first time with US grocery prices and shopping all around and easy to get to everything we needed. We had never been anywhere except Bahamas for vacation. Getting too old for all the hassle at customs/immigration....loooooong lines,etc. AND Airfare to Bahamas getting ridiculous.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You may want to consider doing a permanent swap with someone for a Florida resort.

We have a section for private swaps in the Marketplace. It may lower your maintenance fee, and eliminate the trading hassle.

Last edited:

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I am newer here trying to help & learn. You want to trade , I cant help you there but you do want a place I might be able to help.
I checked Cape Canaveral (Cocoa beach area) and there is availability for a 2 week stay. Ocean front & ocean side.
check them out here
http://corporate.orangelake.com/ourResorts_ccr.php
go to the address & check out reviews , use your AAA discount & see what they charge.
Just trying to help if I can. Good luck with your exchange.
Have a great day
sent you a message with a little more info, hope you get that time in Cocoa Beach!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Most of the independent companies like DAE are free to join. You can make a request and only pay when the trade come though for the exchange fee. Some make you deposit your unit before you can start a request. DAE lets you do a request first so if a trade never comes through, you don't pay and you still have your unit.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Platinum interchange has Ocean Landings 1 bd right now ( Cocoa beach) for a 10/31. Check in. The 1 bd are ocean front I believe , we've been there.

Call them right away, Mike's extension is x134, he could probàbly hold it for you until you can deposit your week

jadejar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Morritt’s Tortuga, Morritt’s Seaside, Royal Dunes, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Grande Ocean, Moon Palace
Try tradingplaces.com. They have several weeks available on Cocoa Beach for Oct and Nov in their online availability.

tbenton

Reaction score
Try tradingplaces.com. They have several weeks available on Cocoa Beach for Oct and Nov in their online availability.

=====
Trading Places is one of the exchange companies Land'or uses so thanks so much for pointing me there directly. I see several weeks at two of the Cocoa Beach resorts but they are for 2 bedroom units and ours is a one bedroom.

I wonder if there is a way to 'pay extra' to get a 2 bedroom. We don't need it but seems thats all that may be out there.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Call Trading Places, and ask if they can get a 1br for you. Sometimes they can get additional units at a resort.

tbenton

Reaction score
Call Trading Places, and ask if they can get a 1br for you. Sometimes they can get additional units at a resort.

======
When looking at exchange company availabilities some have codes for unit size. If 1BD4 is one bedroom for 4 people then what is 1BD6 and what in the world is ST2, ST3,ST4 . I assume that 1BD6 is a one bedroom that sleeps 6 (sofa bed?) but most units DO have sofa bed?? Obviously I am brand new at checking availability on my own so need help with the way things are coded and how things work.

We need full kitchen by the way

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
=====
Trading Places is one of the exchange companies Land'or uses so thanks so much for pointing me there directly. I see several weeks at two of the Cocoa Beach resorts but they are for 2 bedroom units and ours is a one bedroom.

I wonder if there is a way to 'pay extra' to get a 2 bedroom. We don't need it but seems thats all that may be out there.

One of our resorts is also managed by TPI. We've exchanged into other resorts that only have 2 BR units under their management. In that case, that's what you get. In some cases there can be a small 'upcharge' for a bigger unit. Call 'em.

Jim

tbenton

Reaction score
One of our resorts is also managed by TPI. We've exchanged into other resorts that only have 2 BR units under their management. In that case, that's what you get. In some cases there can be a small 'upcharge' for a bigger unit. Call 'em.

Jim

===
I have decided that we would pay an 'upcharge' to be where we want to be when we want to be there.

My timeshare exchange group has found our first choice resort in Cocoa for 2 weeks that are fine with us BUT its not one of the ocean front units like we had in 2013. Its what they call 'off ocean' and does not have a full kitchen. We have seen them from the outside and the location is not ideal and we have to have a full kitchen. I told them to book it and then I will call and see if they can do something to get us oceanfront with full kitchen. I will gladly PAY to upgrade. Even though exchange networks don't show inventory of what we want I am pretty darned sure they do have vacancies that I might be able to talk them into. This particular resort was very nice to us in 2013 and put us up higher than what was booked after I called and requested it so we could see over the trees to see the ocean. Do you think I have a chance in 'negotiating'.