• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC general questions

Reaction score
So, I was recently contacted by Hilton about a vacation opportunity that sounded 'too good to be true'. For a dramatic discount I could have a 7 day 6 night vacation in Honolulu and all I had to do is hear a 2 hour sales pitch.

Stupidly, I agreed to this without doing research first. Having read these forums, I understand now that I didn't entirely make a huge mistake. It seems many others have taken advantage of these offers and come out no worse for the wear, so long as they resist the sales pitch.

The person who made me the offer assured me that this was *not* about a time-share. So, I figured it was a pitch for some kind of a vacation commitment; maybe something like where you commit to spending a certain amount of money a year at Hilton resorts in exchange for large discounts. Something like that, I would certainly consider.

However, from what I gather here that is not the case. Instead, it truly is some sort of a 'time share' (that's the title of this forum 'Timeshare Resort Systems'.)

I have absolutely zero interest in anything that even looks vaguely like a timeshare. My wife and I are just now turning 50, our kids are all off at college and, even in this lousy economy, I'm fortunate to have a really good job. We both want to take at least one really nice vacation a year so long as our finances remain in the good shape that they are now.

However, when we vacation, we want to explore the world. Generally speaking, we want to go somewhere different every single time we plan a vacation. The idea of going to the same resort over and over again is of no interest to me whatsoever.

Instead, I want to see the whole world. New Zealand, the south pacific, South America, etc. This is our first time ever to Hawaii and we are both really looking forward to this trip.

Am I misunderstanding the HGVC? Is it, or is it not, a 'time share'. Is there really any significant financial advantage to using it, versus just booking your own trips on a case by case basis wherever you want to go? It's not like HGVC is the only way to get great travel deals, so comparing their discount to full retail prices is not a fair comparison.

Has anyone ever joined HGVC and been happy with it?

My strategy for the sales pitch is to tell them, honestly, that we intend to make no major financial decision at that time. It's not that we aren't interested in a good deal, even possibly some kind of vacation club, but only if it made good financial sense and a decision we won't make until we return home.

Thanks for any advice,

John

Bill4728

Reaction score
HGVC is a Timeshare!!

HGVC is also a very well respected TS company which if you buy from a current owner is a pretty good deal. ( you'll save about 75% buying from a current owner over buying direct from Hilton)
My strategy for the sales pitch is to tell them, honestly, that we intend to make no major financial decision at that time. It's not that we aren't interested in a good deal, even possibly some kind of vacation club, but only if it made good financial sense and a decision we won't make until we return home.
They are going to tell you you must buy today, which is a lie. If you pass on their "today only deal" you can ask for a receive the same deal next week or next month, but most people here say buy from a current owner and save about 75%.

Last edited:
Reaction score
HGVC is a Timeshare!!

HGVC is also a very well respected TS company which if you buy from a current owner is a pretty good deal. ( you'll save about 75% buying from a current owner over buying direct from Hilton)
They are going to tell you you must buy today, which is a lie.

Well, they already lied to me by telling me it wasn't a time share. I'm not going to join a timeshare.

And, I won't make a bad financial decision based on strong arm tactics.

They either have a good product or not.

John

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Welcome to TUG!!

However, when we vacation, we want to explore the world. Generally speaking, we want to go somewhere different every single time we plan a vacation. The idea of going to the same resort over and over again is of no interest to me whatsoever.

Instead, I want to see the whole world. New Zealand, the south pacific, South America, etc. This is our first time ever to Hawaii and we are both really looking forward to this trip.

Am I misunderstanding the HGVC? Is it, or is it not, a 'time share'. Is there really any significant financial advantage to using it, versus just booking your own trips on a case by case basis wherever you want to go? It's not like HGVC is the only way to get great travel deals, so comparing their discount to full retail prices is not a fair comparison.

Has anyone ever joined HGVC and been happy with it?

There are lots of happy HGVC owners. But it really depends on what you're looking for.
In your case, I would stick with booking your own trips on a case by case basis so you won't be limited in your selection (allowing you to go wherever you want to go whenever you want to go).

You can easily rent a timeshare week from an owner at locations that have timeshares.
See this thread titled "Frequently mentioned resale and rental websites" - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17673

This a very good strategy. Just say no and be done with it. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time in Oahu.:)

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

Whatever you do, don't quibble over numbers which they'll use to show that you will save a bundle with a purchase, but of course forget to include annual maintenance fees. That will only give you a headache and extend your visit.

They'll also tell you that HGVC is less a TS-system and more a vacation-club, becuz its a point-system in which what you are really buying is not a unit per se, but rather the points that unit represents.

That is actually true... You get a deed to a TS, but you do not even have the right to use that TS and will never even know which one it is. Instead, what you get is an an account which you use to book stays at HGVC resorts, RCI resorts, and a VIP-tier Hilton Honors account. HGVC is a very flexible system with a very helpful customer service center.

Unfortunately, the sales division operates out the same playbook that most other high-pressure sales-peep use, so you'll need to stick to your guns. No matter what you say, they'll throw a bunch of offers at you and will bid against themselves, even after you've told them where to stick it.

I suggest that you have a watering hole picked out for afterwards, so you'll have a place to decompress after you're done.

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do the time

By all means listen to the 2 hour tour. If you read your contract to get the great vacation deal, you can be responsible for the retail price of your stay if you do not complete the 2 hours with the sales person. The key work is "retail".

So yes tell them up front that you are not interested, but make sure they release you, understanding that the 2 hours requirement has been meet.

BTW: I have bought (resale) and have enjoyed every year I have stayed at HGVC. (4 years running)

Good luck and as my favorite cartoon penguins would say "Nod and wave boys, just nod and wave."

Reaction score
Thanks all for the great advice. My strategy is going to be to act very interested in the whole thing. I'll try to make the sales person happy, make the sales pitch happy, and make it 1,000% clear that I have absolutely no intention of making a buying decision then and there; only after I have gone back home and given it more thought. I may point out to the sales person that since I am a successful person I didn't get that way by making impulse purchases on the spot.

Once I do get home, and they start calling me, I will just tell them I've decided it doesn't work for our lifestyle and, if they keep calling, tell them to put me on their do not call list.

John

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My strategy is going to be to act very interested in the whole thing. I'll try to make the sales person happy, make the sales pitch happy, and make it 1,000% clear that I have absolutely no intention of making a buying decision then and there; only after I have gone back home and given it more thought. I may point out to the sales person that since I am a successful person I didn't get that way by making impulse purchases on the spot.

Bad idea. Don't "act interested", ask questions, or argue with their numbers. It only encourages them :rofl: They think that they have a "live" one on the line, and if they only bring on their 'A' game, they'll hook you. You're much better off sticking with the "not interested, not gonna buy in any case" line. You can be polite, and honest; just don't give the salesperson a reason to think he could hook you with a little more work. You could be there for 4 hours instead of 2.

BTW, I own two HGVC weeks, and love the program. It works for me and my family. But it (and timesharing in general) is not for everybody.

-Bob

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Whatever you do, resist mentioning TUG or the resale market otherwise the conversation may take an ugly turn.
Some timeshare sales folks can be rude and down right nasty. Just do the time and get out.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Definetly do not argue their numbers. It seems to only encourage them.
BTW how do I get contacted for these cheap travel opportunities? Can someone help.

optimist

TUG Member
Reaction score
They will try and sell you on converting your HGVC points to Hotel Honors points so that you can then use them to travel the world and stay at various Hilton locations all over the world. Sounds great, till you do the numbers and realize that the maintenance fee of approx. $1200 will buy you two to three nights at a hotel. It is not a good value and not a reason to buy a timeshare.

In any event, if down the road you decide you do want to buy a timeshare (resale), Hilton offers that perk to their resale purchasers too. Other hotel chains don't.

Enjoy your trip!

poleary2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could pull out your iPhone like I did and say --

"I did a quick search on eBay while you were in the back strong arming your boss into giving me a better deal ;-). Looks like I can get 7k pts for at least 75% than what you are offering. Can you explain to me again why I need to buy from you today?"

smokyhill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bad idea. Don't "act interested", ask questions, or argue with their numbers. It only encourages them :rofl: They think that they have a "live" one on the line, and if they only bring on their 'A' game, they'll hook you. You're much better off sticking with the "not interested, not gonna buy in any case" line. You can be polite, and honest; just don't give the salesperson a reason to think he could hook you with a little more work. You could be there for 4 hours instead of 2.

BTW, I own two HGVC weeks, and love the program. It works for me and my family. But it (and timesharing in general) is not for everybody.

-Bob

I totally agree. Don't in ANY way act interested. They are very good at their game and you WILL prolong the pitch if they think they have even a thread of hope.
We also own 2 weeks and love the program. We like to see different places like you, but still feel we can make HGVC work for us, especially buying resalse. A friend of mine advised us when looking at buying and made a statement that rang very true, "Why in the world would you want to pay retail for something you can buy wholesale???" :D

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
One tactic I used at one of their "owner updates," was to repeat incessantly:

-- "Its a good program, but we are not going to make any changes (buys) now or in the next 12 months;" and
-- "There are too many things going on in our lives right now for us to consider it."

About 20th time they heard me say those lines, it began to sink in that they were wasting their time with me and should move on to another mark.

psychjoe

Reaction score
Locations!

I use it as an opportunity to encourage more locations or grind my axe about some other improvements I'd like to see in the program. I'll say "with just three major locations and a smattering of unobtainable affiliates I just can't see myself investing any more in Hilton."

NJ_30s_couple

Reaction score
use experience to help the rest of us

I use it as an opportunity to encourage more locations or grind my axe about some other improvements I'd like to see in the program. I'll say "with just three major locations and a smattering of unobtainable affiliates I just can't see myself investing any more in Hilton."

I like this idea- at least you can use your time productively for those of us who own so it's not a complete waste... ;)

My wife and I travel globally as well; we recently bought HGVC resale and it's clearly worth it for us - but it does require work/planning to make sure there's a good ROI and it still satisfies your needs. Without sacrificing how we want to travel, we'll pay back the resale purchase in about 2 yrs. The main thing we've lost vs. more traditional travel is spontaneity, but financially it is worth it for two reasons - (1) with a kitchen in units we save by not eating every meal/drink at a restaurant and (2) when we do travel with our young children (doesn't apply to you) we spend a lot less on hotel rooms and can even bring our nanny when we want to.

and btw - before we ended up buying HGVC resale, we rescinded on a retail Marriott purchase made during a trip similar to yours - and the rescission was the best/luckiest decision we've ever made in this area.

you'll be fine on the presentation- as a business-guy i actually found it fun/enjoyable to hear their pitch but you should be respectful when you decline - at the end of the day they're just salesguys trying to make a living based on the system they're given. The biggest hole in the preso we were given at the Marriott was that their ROI analysis didn't include airfare in their calcs. Still, 2 hrs for a week trip is clearly a good deal.

If you do decide it makes sense "at some price," keep in mind that we (and i'm sure there are others with similar stories) paid about 12% of what we were quoted for retail. Changes the calculations dramatically. We bought using Seth Nock, who was a total pro and is recommended highly on this forum.

Good luck.

i