• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

This is why I love my Marriott timeshare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what is a tad irritating about "name" owners - and it doesn't apply only to Marriott. There is what would appear to a buy in to the sales hype that "only XXXX (fill in the brand name or resort) will be like this". Hogwash. The ownership experience of any good timeshare gets you exactly the same appreciation of great family time together in places you want to visit. There is no special magic in a DVC, Marriott or Hilton that can't also be found at No Name Resort X if it is in the right place and reasonably to outstanding in quality. It's that slight arrogance that somehow it's better because you pay more. All it really means is you didn't find the best value to get the same thing.

I fully understand that a name gives a shortcut to (usually) finding the higher end resorts and often locations but it isn't by any means exclusive to the names. In fact some of the very best resorts aren't names and don't need to be - they stand on their own.

And this post is a prime example. It seems the OP truly believes that only a Marriott can rent a lockoff to cover the annual fees or whatever they are looking for. That couldn't be more wrong. As Boca & others can tell you there are plenty of resorts - name & non-name that can do that consistently. And because the non names have fees way less it's easier to accomplish with less overall investment & annual fees.

I'm really not trying to denigrate Marriott or any other name brand as I know they are usually top notch. I'm merely saying that if you think (or newbies believe) that ONLY name brands offer a great experience in timeshare ownership & use then they are being mislead. By all means pay the premium if that makes you happy but don't think you had to or that by doing so you somehow get better than the savvy $1 buyer or renter can also get. Ultimately we all get the same resorts & units (yes, even the penthouse has been ours with a non-name trade).

I also don't mean to aggravate anyone so I'll let it go now. Hopefully I've presented a valid opposing viewpoint and option for those looking to jump in to timeshares as that is all it really is. I love Marriotts as well - I'm just glad we didn't buy one despite being really tempted twice.

I certainly don't get aggravated by your comments, I very much value your right to your own opinion.... I just never seem to agree with it.

For instance please name the numerous resorts that are beautifully situated like a Maui Marriott or Aruba Surf Club and that have lock-offs that rent at a premium to cover or exceed MFs.

Anyone? I'd like to know because I'd be interested in buying multiple weeks.

The main issue I have with your comments are that you don't acknowledge that in some cases you can't "do exactly the same" and need to buy the prime resort in prime season to be able to enjoy that resort at that time of year.

I've acknowledged that in fact you can acheive "similiar" doing off season while travelling short notice, but you just can't do what Greg T and I do for our families with a no name resort. You just can't. You suggest you can but don't offer comparable examples.

When were you able to rent inexpensively or trade into a prime Marriott during prime time without getting lucky with the 60 day window. It can't be done unless your trading something of somewhat similar value.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sue -

As I've promised to bow out I will limit this strictly to a summary of where the 33% comes from. The primary source are the resorts that have dropped the Marriott name/ affiliation for whatever reasons. The simple fact is that when an independent management then took over they were able to maintain the standards (as verified by owners) while significantly reducing annual fees. They identified those costs as being the 10% management overhead and the requirement that the Association use only Marriott blessed contracts/contractors. In just one small example the granite supplier required by Marriott was charging 43% more than a local manufacturer was willing to supply the same items for. Really - is there a difference in granite if it meets the specifications from a non-Marriott blessed supplier? Of course not.

It is that type of unnecessary mandate that causes the inflated costs. If Marriott would simply say the renovation/requirement for XX items have to be met regardless of who supplies it and allow open bidding then I'd be with them. But Marriott & others instead insist on "their" suppliers & contracts - which I assume they have some type of rebate or other consideration with - and it comes out of the owners pockets, not Mariotts. Again they aren't alone in this - it is the SOP of the names and the single biggest reason they aren't a good value. Signing off again.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I have often been critical of things Marriott has done, and I have also been denigrated by some on this forum for being a Marriott apologist. On more than one occasion I was even accused of being a Marriott sales employee in disguise. I think that this diversity of positions and responses is because I try to look at each issue on the merits and very little is black and white. I acknowledge that I may not always be right. Even the gospel of buying resale is not black and white. We bought developer years ago and we are glad we did. We have been all over the world many times on Marriott Rewards points, many of which came from timeshare exchanges (not as lucrative today as they used to be) and from very large purchase incentives. We never fly across an ocean in coach thanks to MR points. We have more than gotten our money's worth from our developer purchases, but that does not mean that everyone should have bought developer.

I must say, however, that Timeos2 is the most consistently negative of anyone who posts here. Apparently he is the only one here who understands timeshares. He knows all the intricacies of Marriott timeshares even though he does not own a Marriott. It seems like he usually either makes up his own facts or twists the actual facts! And anytime anyone says anything positive about the "vale" of Marriott ownership, he goes on his crusade. He is very predictable. I am very surprised to see the word "Moderator" under his name.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Sue -

As I've promised to bow out I will limit this strictly to a summary of where the 33% comes from. The primary source are the resorts that have dropped the Marriott name/ affiliation for whatever reasons. The simple fact is that when an independent management then took over they were able to maintain the standards (as verified by owners) while significantly reducing annual fees. They identified those costs as being the 10% management overhead and the requirement that the Association use only Marriott blessed contracts/contractors. In just one small example the granite supplier required by Marriott was charging 43% more than a local manufacturer was willing to supply the same items for. Really - is there a difference in granite if it meets the specifications from a non-Marriott blessed supplier? Of course not.

It is that type of unnecessary mandate that causes the inflated costs. If Marriott would simply say the renovation/requirement for XX items have to be met regardless of who supplies it and allow open bidding then I'd be with them. But Marriott & others instead insist on "their" suppliers & contracts - which I assume they have some type of rebate or other consideration with - and it comes out of the owners pockets, not Mariotts. Again they aren't alone in this - it is the SOP of the names and the single biggest reason they aren't a good value. Signing off again.

At one of my resorts the recent refurb included new flatscreen TV's but it turned out they didn't fit in the existing living-area cabinets. The vendor for those gave Marriott a price of something like $850 for replacements. But Marriott didn't "insist" that the BOD purchase them; instead they allowed the BOD to put out a bid which resulted in a local contractor being hired to reno the existing cabinets for +/- $100 each. The only difference is that the top bookcase section that housed the TV was removed and the flat-tops refinished. They're gorgeous, fit the decor perfectly, and you would never know that they're not original pieces.

That's just one example but over the years I've seen a few similar ones at both of my resorts. Of course a Marriott-mandate exists for refurbs - I'd be shocked if it didn't because the brand-standard is paramount to the reputation of the network. But I don't believe that the mandate exists only to pad Marriott's management fee, and I don't believe that Marriott doesn't ever allow the individual resort BOD's to institute cost-containment where it's possible in the budgets. In some instances it may not be possible, for example if Marriott contracted with a vendor for bulk purchases over a period of years, or if Marriott cannot negotiate extended warranty coverage with a lower-priced vendor, etc.

Last edited:

davewasbaloo

Reaction score
There is much to love about MVCI:

1. Lovely big units in themed and highly manicured environments (at least at the European resorts and Newport coast).

2. Wonderful amount of space that has changed the way we travel rather than being in cramped hotel rooms.

3. Good excuse to go to local markets and buy fresh local produce and wines to enjoy in the villa.

4. I would have never considered Mallorca, Marbella or Estepona were it not for MVCI, and they were some of the best vacations ever.

5. My children adore the kids clubs, something that at Centre parks can be very expensive, at MVCI they are included.

6. Having a second home of sorts without the associated hastle.

7. Using our Bonus Points from joining to stay on Nob Hill in San Francisco as well as Monterey sea View and the Newport Coast villas for an unforgetable vacation before our eldest started school.

8. Changing the way we enjoy Disneyland Paris, going to the park for half days and enjoying the resort or the local area for other half (not as exhausting and very cost effective).

9. When a firm I was working for went bankrupt, we still had a vacation because it was paid for. Speaking with other business owners at the resort encouraged me to found my own firm...we have been in business for 3 years now!

10. Having the space to take family members, and having the space to have my own space when they are the in-laws.

11. Earning points when on vacation and away for work, that can be applied for more vacations.

12. Being able to justify my vacations to my folks (who see vacations as a luxury and frivolous expense) as they are already paid for.

13. Introducing me to other lovely people on TUG and in real life at the resorts.

14. Overall, it is still a cost effective way for us to return to quality accommodations in France and we know the quality is good.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Greg, great post again. I agree with you and others who love timesharing. Marriotts and other really nice resorts are hard to beat.

Just the other day I was sharing with a friend at work that I just arranged for a rental car for our trip to Westin Kaanapali in April and she commented that "we sure do travel a lot." My response was, "absolutely. We own a few really nice timeshares and we love travelling to them and other places we can trade into." Owning timeshares has definitely encouraged us to take vacations, with our kids when they were younger, and now by ourselves that we are empty nesters. Sometimes we invite the kids to join us too.

We are very glad we upgraded our ownerships to Marriott, Westin and Welk resorts. Many fun, relaxing, and exciting vacations ahead!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
At one of my resorts the recent refurb included new flatscreen TV's but it turned out they didn't fit in the existing living-area cabinets. The vendor for those gave Marriott a price of something like $850 for replacements. But Marriott didn't "insist" that the BOD purchase them; instead they allowed the BOD to put out a bid which resulted in a local contractor being hired to reno the existing cabinets for +/- $100 each. The only difference is that the top bookcase section that housed the TV was removed and the flat-tops refinished. They're gorgeous, fit the decor perfectly, and you would never know that they're not original pieces.

That's just one example but over the years I've seen a few similar ones at both of my resorts. Of course a Marriott-mandate exists for refurbs - I'd be shocked if it didn't because the brand-standard is paramount to the reputation of the network. But I don't believe that the mandate exists only to pad Marriott's management fee, and I don't believe that Marriott doesn't ever allow the individual resort BOD's to institute cost-containment where it's possible in the budgets. In some instances it may not be possible, for example if Marriott contracted with a vendor for bulk purchases over a period of years, or if Marriott cannot negotiate extended warranty coverage with a lower-priced vendor, etc.

Perhaps Streamside is another example. This is from the TUG reviews

Marriott Properties
Marriott's StreamSide at Vail-Birch 7.50 (7)
Marriott's StreamSide at Vail-Douglas 7.68 (59)
Marriott's StreamSide at Vail-Evergreen 8.50 (1)

Properties Marriott Dropped
Streamside at Vail-Aspen 6.33 (6)
Streamside at Vail-Cedar 8.00 (3)

The first set of numbers is the TUG rating and the second number is the number of ratings. You can draw conclusions where you wish.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your 5000th post as noted below slipped by unnoticed. Congrats! :clap:

I totally agree.
I was quite vociferous in my comments on how disappointed I was (and am) with the DC points program. I still feel it is a travesty that some owners were allotted less points than it would cost to reserve a unit that Marriott itself rents for half the price of the unit I'd be giving up. So, clearly, I see flaws with the new program.

That said, Marriott still has some amazing properties and beautiful units in terrific locations, with resort quality services. Not to knock them at all, but I had the opportunity this summer to visit a much regaled Starwood property and I must say I was surprised at how much nicer the Marriott units were. Admittedly, the lock-out unit of the 3BR I had was nicer in the Starwood unit, but overall the Marriott units that I have been to are much nicer than even their comparable competitors.

So, while I agree with some of the posts that Marriott could have done better by its customers with the DC program, overall I still feel that week ownership and use has tremendous value- in every sense of the word.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

Terry,

You're closing in on 5,000 yourself!! (and I remember your post for 3,000!) And your family is absolutely beautiful -- I hope we get our families together one day for a cocktail at MOC (or MAW or MKO or ...... pick your Marriott).

m61376, congrats on your accomplishment too -- thanks for all of the positive comments over the years.

TUG is a great community, and I still love these positive posts!

Best,

Greg

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Terry,

You're closing in on 5,000 yourself!! (and I remember your post for 3,000!) And your family is absolutely beautiful -- I hope we get our families together one day for a cocktail at MOC (or MAW or MKO or ...... pick your Marriott).

m61376, congrats on your accomplishment too -- thanks for all of the positive comments over the years.

Best,

Greg

Thanks Terry and Greg! Want to hear something very funny- when I first started reading your post, before I saw it was my post you reference, it occurred to me that I should be hitting 5000 anytime. So I had a good laugh at myself when I finished reading.

I was going to post- even before I read your lovely comments- that another great thing about ownership are all the online acquaintances that we've been fortunate to "chat" with. Hanging out here has become a hobby of sorts for many of us, and it is a productive way to waste time.

As I look outside at the cold and snow that we had earlier, I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to getting away from the snow. I do know that it would be very hard to get a prime 2BR winter week in Aruba without owning, and I know Marriott charges close to $900 per night with taxes for that time period. And without the Marriott preference I would have had a hard time matching a trade for the same week in II, and without another Marriott owner's generosity I wouldn't have yet a third unit. So this trip I get to enjoy not only family, but the company of two really close friends (well, actually 4- 2 couples), and I know that would have never happened if I didn't own and if I hadn't found Tug.

So I'd like to add to Greg's post and underscore what Dave posted in number 13 above:
There is much to love about MVCI:

13. Introducing me to other lovely people on TUG and in real life at the resorts.

Last edited:

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I love my Marriott timeshare because...

I love my Marriott timeshare because:

1. My wife loves them and only really wants to stay at Marriotts.
2. The beautiful nights in the jacuzzi at Ko Olina are so memorable.
3. I love the service and the care I am given when I arrive.
4. I love the spaciousness of the accommodations at my Ko Olina.
5. I love that false sense of security that my kids will be all right when they are on the property.

Now saying these few things I must say that I can have all of that at other resorts except #1 unless I am like at a Four Seasons or maybe a Hilton or Westin. :)

Marriott's offer a different experience because let's face it, it looks good. Now Timeos, I own Diamond also. I have been able to use my Diamond points to exchange into Marriotts on several occasions. I can tell you now that even then prime time was not happening with the Marriott exchanges and I can assume now it will be virtually impossible to get prime season with the new points program. However, I can see Marriott using some of the prime weeks for sales pitches.

Since Diamond is affiliated with Cypress Pointe, I will say that Cypress Pointe which is owner controlled is a nice resort. I have been there. However, it is not as nice as a Marriott and certainly not in the league of a Marriott Hawaiian property or for that matter a Lakeshore Reserve, or a Cypress Harbor or a Grande Vista which are also in Florida. Yes, people pay a higher maintenace fee but I can tell you that from my Diamond experience, the maintenance fees are not that much different. Everyone's maintenance fees have been increasing.

More often than not it is true that Marriott owners often exchange down. Heck, I feel that I exchange down in the Marriott system. Obviously I do since many Marriott's on the mainland receive significantly less points for their value than I do for my Ko Olina. However, I am looking for destination and how my family will be comfortable. I would love for us to create a list of non Marriotts that give us close to the Marriott quality. In fact, I think I am going to start a thread on that after I post this.

My main point is that Marriott's have great quality and that is the reason I purchased. They have nice resorts and there are lots of locations and you have a pretty good idea of what you are going to get. With my Diamond membership, it's a hit or miss and they have many affiliates that can't be trusted.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love my Marriott timeshare because:

1. My wife loves them and only really wants to stay at Marriotts.
2. The beautiful nights in the jacuzzi at Ko Olina are so memorable.
3. I love the service and the care I am given when I arrive.
4. I love the spaciousness of the accommodations at my Ko Olina.
5. I love that false sense of security that my kids will be all right when they are on the property.

Now saying these few things I must say that I can have all of that at other resorts except #1 unless I am like at a Four Seasons or maybe a Hilton or Westin. :)

Marriott's offer a different experience because let's face it, it looks good. Now Timeos, I own Diamond also. I have been able to use my Diamond points to exchange into Marriotts on several occasions. I can tell you now that even then prime time was not happening with the Marriott exchanges and I can assume now it will be virtually impossible to get prime season with the new points program. However, I can see Marriott using some of the prime weeks for sales pitches.

Since Diamond is affiliated with Cypress Pointe, I will say that Cypress Pointe which is owner controlled is a nice resort. I have been there. However, it is not as nice as a Marriott and certainly not in the league of a Marriott Hawaiian property or for that matter a Lakeshore Reserve, or a Cypress Harbor or a Grande Vista which are also in Florida. Yes, people pay a higher maintenace fee but I can tell you that from my Diamond experience, the maintenance fees are not that much different. Everyone's maintenance fees have been increasing.

More often than not it is true that Marriott owners often exchange down. Heck, I feel that I exchange down in the Marriott system. Obviously I do since many Marriott's on the mainland receive significantly less points for their value than I do for my Ko Olina. However, I am looking for destination and how my family will be comfortable. I would love for us to create a list of non Marriotts that give us close to the Marriott quality. In fact, I think I am going to start a thread on that after I post this.

My main point is that Marriott's have great quality and that is the reason I purchased. They have nice resorts and there are lots of locations and you have a pretty good idea of what you are going to get. With my Diamond membership, it's a hit or miss and they have many affiliates that can't be trusted.

This is a great post because its from someone who has a balanced perspective where John is one sided against Marriott and I and other pro-Marriott are one-sided for Marriott.

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
So far, we have not had any problems trading

Being Marriott owners since 1994, we have never had a problem trading into any place with our 2-bedroom Desert Springs I. We have enjoyed beautiful vacations in Maui, Oahu, St. Maartin, Costa Rica, Costa Del Sol, Spain, France, and many more on the mainland states. We do always plan at least a year in advance, so I guess that helps.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Being Marriott owners since 1994, we have never had a problem trading into any place with our 2-bedroom Desert Springs I. We have enjoyed beautiful vacations in Maui, Oahu, St. Maartin, Costa Rica, Costa Del Sol, Spain, France, and many more on the mainland states. We do always plan at least a year in advance, so I guess that helps.

Another good reason to love your Marriott. Clearly Marriott has stronger trading power over the no name resorts.

davewasbaloo

Reaction score
Another good reason to love your Marriott. Clearly Marriott has stronger trading power over the no name resorts.

Absolutely, we deliberated for 7 years before buying, and we narrowed it down between MVCI and DVC, and as we enjoy non Disney vacations too (this year is Centre Parks, Legoland Windsor Hotel, a gite in Normandy, our MVCI Villa at Ile De France, a couple of nights in Venice and two weeks in an old school house in Tuscany - granted, some are rentals), MVCI won. It is frustrating as other than MVCI, the number of quality resorts in Europe under interval are minimal, hence why we often return to our home resort.

pipet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai, Marriott Shadow Ridge
Why I love my Marriott

I have to admit that when I found TUG & realized how many people exchanged to the Waiohai with much less expensive resorts, it was a bit disheartening to think how much I'm overpaying, so to speak. I'm also not 100% happy with how Marriott has handled things recently. However, if given the choice, I'd buy my OV Waiohai week all over again (& would buy another now, resale of course, if my situation were a little different). Here's why:

*I love the resort. I love the lush grounds & more low-key feel it has. It's my perfect tropical paradise escape.

*I love that I've returned often enough that I don't feel pressured to rush about the island to see it all at once. We also have our favorite spots that we return to each visit, and it's nice to be so familiar with a vacation spot.

*I'm tied to summer travel time for another decade, and while it somewhat limits the availability to exchange into my resort, more importantly, it limits frequent flyer ticket availability, especially the lower & mid tiered FF tix (and I don't want to waste miles on the highest no-blockout tier). Last minute vacations to Hawaii during the school summer vacation are not friendly for airfares, so any extra expense I might pay in maintenance fees over a bargain TS/getaway is often cancelled out by my airfare savings.

*I'm also at a resort with a very broad OV category, and the only fixed week choices are at Christmas, so I don't get the guaranteed room/view I'd always choose. The view thing is really important to me. I love sitting on the balcony, enjoying the view, with my coffee in the mornings, my afternoon read, or an evening drink. It's part of my vacation ritual. I suppose I could look for a fixed week on another island (Christmas doesn't usu work for me), but I love the Waiohai & Kauai, so I'll deal. At least I am higher up on the pecking order for my OV than anyone exchanging in, and most of the time, I've gotten fabulous views.

*Altho I am sure there are plenty of great quality "no-name" resorts, I don't see many with the amenities on the same scale as the brand names. For my Marriott vacations, I look forward to having all that stuff. I like cooking and enjoy doing it in a pretty kitchen! I have my hike & get muddy days, but I also have days where I want to do nothing but lounge & enjoy the awesome grounds/pools. I've seen a lot of other timeshares on Kauai, and most don't quite offer the same experience that the "big names" do when it comes to amenities/grounds. Again, not that it's bad at the other places (it is HI, after all), but they don't have the same feel.

*Marriott+TUG. I've learned a lot on these forums about trading/renting/etc, & I am more savvy about my TS use.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
No need to start his own, there is a cr@p on Marriott thread already :rolleyes:
First, I am sorry. I believe the thread refered to above was started by me. I was just whining about paying my annual bill.

I *LOVE* my Marriott Timeshares. For many if not all of the same reasons as you.

- I get to go to Ko Olina for Spring Break every Even Year until my kids go to college. After that, I can go when I want (weeks 1-50)!
- I get to go to Shadow Ridge and meet up with my DW's and their kids Thanksgiving every odd year!
- I have a fabulous trade week in my Imperial Palms that I use about 1 out of every 5 and trade the other 4. Aside from a trade into a Royal in Cancun, I have traded only into Marriott. We have gotten Maui Ocean Club, Ko Olina (x2), Grand Vista, Ocean Club, Heritage Club (complete with golf!), Shadow Ridge, Desert Springs, etc.
- The accomidations are top notch. We too are spoiled and will not go to lower tier timeshares, only the top notch.

But the most important reason I love my timeshare is that I get 2 weeks a year with my family, away from home to be with them and enjoy them. I never had that growing up and cherish every trip I get to go on with them.

One memory I will never forget were each of my boys first trips to WDW. They were probably about 5 (each). We went to a parade in each of the parks during our week at Imperial Palms Villas. I still see the Magical Look on each of their faces as they saw their HEROS dance by! It still brings a catch in my throat and a tear to my eye today now that they are teens/tweens.

I hope to never give up my Marriotts.

John

Last edited:

2boysmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dittos

As a first time blogger but long time Marriott ts owner and Tug Member I want to shake my cheerleader's pompom for Marriott along with the previous posts. We've owned at D.Springs for 12 years. Early on we traded to non-Marriott resorts but never found them even close to as nice as our Marriott experiences. Neither the units nor resorts compared to the quality we'd come to experience with Marriott. Now, we pretty much stick with Marriotts. Nothing is perfect in any situation but when you compare to the options, Marriott continues to shine. We just enrolled our weeks in the destination club points program a few months ago. We had a super experience there as well. I did have to hold for a while but was able to obtain a 1-bd oceanfront unit in new Maui towers for this October. It was our first attempt and the rep was super helpful and courteous. Well worth the wait time on the phone. Take heart out there folks-remember a glass is both half full and half empty. It's how you look at it that counts. :cheer:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Terry,

Best,

Greg

Tug is great a great community indeed.
I'm no longer 'closing in' on 5000, Greg. :D

RE: Loving Marriotts:
After reading those great comments about DSV-I on another thread,
I'm sitting hear trying to figure out a how to get away for about 4 days. :ponder:

tlwmkw

Reaction score
I love my timeshare because it forces us to take a vacation that we otherwise might put off ("not enough time","too expensive","too difficult to plan", etc). We paid full freight before finding out about TUG but still feel like we are getting value from our TS's. I can't worry about how much I paid because the memories we are making are priceless and worth far more than the initial cost.

tlwmkw

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love Marriott because my July 4th weeks at Barony Beach will get me great weeks during public holidays.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I must say, however, that Timeos2 is the most consistently negative of anyone who posts here. Apparently he is the only one here who understands timeshares. He knows all the intricacies of Marriott timeshares even though he does not own a Marriott. It seems like he usually either makes up his own facts or twists the actual facts! And anytime anyone says anything positive about the "vale" of Marriott ownership, he goes on his crusade. He is very predictable. I am very surprised to see the word "Moderator" under his name.

Negative/positive opinion is in the eye of the beholder. I think that moderators should be able to speak their opinions whether we like that opinion or not as long as they are doing it from a personal perspective and not in the role of moderator. I do however have an issue with the regular hijacking of threads.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like our Marriott because of it's high quality - we know what to expect when exchanging (yes, we bought mainly to exchange) to other Marriots.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
We like our Marriott because of it's high quality - we know what to expect when exchanging (yes, we bought mainly to exchange) to other Marriots.

You are so right! It is nice to plan a vacation and know that your accommodations will be what you expect. So many of the highly rated places in II are a notch or two below (although there are certainly ones that are equivalent and a few even nicer) and while it never was a big deal to me before, I must say I've become a bit spoiled. Even something that never would have been a big deal to me before, like having a balcony, is an amenity I've grown to really appreciate (and have been spoiled by being served breakfast out there, which admittedly is a perfect way to start off my day :) ).

All the pre-timeshare years we travelled we appreciated some of the top hotels we stayed in from time to time when we could get deals, but as long as the place was clean I generally didn't go overboard, preferring to spend our vacation $$'s on souvenirs (and lots of them :eek:). It's easier to get used to better things, and we've become spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.