• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Ocean Pointe Pool Renovations

beachgirls67

Reaction score
We are statying at Ocean Pointe August 12-19 this year. I saw online that Marriott will be renovating the pools in 2016. Does anyone know if this will be going on while we are there? Not sure how I feel about this. :confused:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are statying at Ocean Pointe August 12-19 this year. I saw online that Marriott will be renovating the pools in 2016. Does anyone know if this will be going on while we are there? Not sure how I feel about this. :confused:

No need to worry about it. Ocean Pointe has three pools and a beautiful beach so you won't be without water activities.

Enjoy!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This is what the vacation club website has to say about it;

Our resort has a variety of refurbishment efforts scheduled between now and the end of 2016. Renovation on the Dolphin Building will begin sometime in September of 2016, with an expected completion in November of 2016. The two (2) pools behind the Welcome Center, along with the Pool House/Restrooms, Children's Pool, Whirlpool Spa, Pavilion and Grill Area will be closed for refurbishment in 2016. During this time, there will be periodic noise around the resort. For more information, please contact the resort at 561-882-3000. We thank you for your understanding and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

They aren't very specific on when the pools will be closed, but I would expect it between September and November as well. As said, there are two other pools that can be used; Pompano and Kingfish, though I would expect they will be fairly busy with Pompano taking the biggest load.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. Refurbishments at Ocean Pointe generally always start after Labor Day and complete right before Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

beachgirls67

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!! I am good with September so hopefully that is the timeline. I knew they had additional pools but was worried about them being crowded and the noise from construction. August in Florida generally creates a big demand for the pool lol. I have stayed here before in the summer and it is sometimes difficult to get pool chairs even with all the pools open.

greenfrog

Reaction score
We have a booking for the last week in August at Ocean pointe so I spoke to the resort a few months back about their refurbishment programme. They confirmed, at that time, that the pool refurbishment was scheduled to start on 1st Septermber.

Unless anything has changed, you should be OK

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Spoke with the new Ocean Pointe GM at the Owners Reception. He seems nice in my brief conversation. He came from St. Thomas and has been at Ocean Pointe only four months. While he loved the Frenchman's hotel/timeshare location, he was on the island long enough and needed a change.

A few notes he told me in our brief conversation.

First. They are focusing on improving views for those on the first and second floor villas in the main four buildings by removing some trees blocking the view of the ocean. I assume this is primarily for "ocean front" views...but perhaps some "ocean view" views as well. Views in the Kingfish building were not a concern, as they already have very nice views from nearly all floors. Ocean Pointe is a resort where you cannot view the ocean from the pool area (or perhaps even the first few villa floors). This is one thing I don't like about Ocean Pointe. To see the ocean, you instead need to be higher. It will be interesting to see if removal of trees really improves the views for the first and second floors. I expect it may not as much as they hope. Time will tell. I was personally surprised a bit that they removed some of the nice trees near the Sailfish grill / restroom area. They were lower in height and probably not blocking any ocean view. I always admired those trees and missed them when grilling.

Second. They are renovating the Sailfish pool area starting in September in parallel with the reno of the Dolphin building villas. Sailfish villas were just complete inside (reno is nice!). The Sailfish pool area is a major renovation, not just a re-surfacing. They are removing and replacing all of the concrete around the pool deck (lots of jack hammering), resurfacing the pool itself, installing new tile, and also enlarging the pool deck to allow more pool chairs. As such, they will be removing the grassy island between the two Sailfish pools, removing the cabanas directly across from kiddie pool in from of the Sailfish building, and will be removing some of the vegetation in between the main Sailfish pool and the Sailfish spa to make room for more chairs. It will be interesting to see the new pool area once complete.

Third. They are looking to change the small space area alongside the Dolphin building outside the Maze Kids Activity room which currently has the single ping pong table. They are hoping to modify so they will have a nicer area with room for a second ping pong table. Not sure where they will find the space for that, but will be interesting to see.

Fourth. They are looking to install automated door openers in the parking garages to make rolling luggage carts and beach chairs/coolers/etc easier to get into the buildings and interior elevators. This will be very nice!

Lastly. He commented on the very positive view of their Ocean Pointe Activities team. The numerous activities continue to keep families (and adults) involved for those who primarily stay on-site at the resort during their stay. I personally agree. Plenty of activities, good mix of free vs paid, welcome events, etc. My family participated in many of them.

Overall, Ocean Pointe still looks great. We love it! The grounds are in excellent condition, the Sailfish villa renovation looked great, and the future renovation plans should enhance the pool deck areas to the positive.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Fourth. They are looking to install automated door openers in the parking garages to make rolling luggage carts and beach chairs/coolers/etc easier to get into the buildings and interior elevators. This will be very nice!

They already have this in some of the buildings. We were in Cobia in May and they had them there. Plans to put them in all the buildings. I will say they were a HUGE improvement over the prior setup. No more need for a key to get in to the lobby area where the elevators are. Though you do need to scan your key to get to any of the floors.