• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Locked Off my Unit - Now I have Questions Depositing into II - need help

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club
I woke up early this morning, 6am just to book my Ko'Olina unit for the 1st time after our purchase! I was able to get the dates that I want for next summer! :)banana:). So, here's the deal.... I locked off our unit and using the Master Unit next year 2017 (which is our year of use of EOY) so that leaves the guest room free at the moment. I currently do not have an II account but I plan to enroll once I know I need it. Speaking with the Marrriott agent this morning, I explained to her that I don't know yet what to do with my guest unit but for sure I will not be using it next year in Ko'Olina as I do not see our family going back there twice next year. So it's either I will use it in Ko'Olina or Maui in 2018. She said if I deposit it in II, I will have 2 years to use it. But she did say I will have to book a week at Marriott Ko'Olina first and then deposit that week in II.

- is that true?
- thought I didn't have to book a specific week, but just deposit a week and look to see if my desired week to go in Ko'Olina or Maui in 2018 becomes available?

What's the order or events when I do this? If I do need to do this, I can call them back today and book the 2nd week of our stay so I can have 2 consecutive weeks. And she said if I decide later that I do not want the 2nd week, i can deposit it to II and it should have trading power since it's the last week of July and it's always a busy time in Ko'Olina and a lot of ppl are always looking for those days. input???

OR I can call back (when inventory opens) and book a week of Thanksgiving or Dec (not Xmas week) and either deposit that OR if I end up wanting to rent it out, that should work well too.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
To deposit a week in II, you have to first reserve a specific week at your home resort. I am not familiar with the trading strength of Ko Olina, but if you know you are not going to use the week personally, I would guess that any of the weeks you are talking about reserving would be a strong trader in II.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
So it's either I will use it in Ko'Olina or Maui in 2018. She said if I deposit it in II, I will have 2 years to use it. But she did say I will have to book a week at Marriott Ko'Olina first and then deposit that week in II.

- is that true?
- thought I didn't have to book a specific week, but just deposit a week and look to see if my desired week to go in Ko'Olina or Maui in 2018 becomes available?

What's the order or events when I do this? If I do need to do this, I can call them back today and book the 2nd week of our stay so I can have 2 consecutive weeks. And she said if I decide later that I do not want the 2nd week, i can deposit it to II and it should have trading power since it's the last week of July and it's always a busy time in Ko'Olina and a lot of ppl are always looking for those days. input???

OR I can call back (when inventory opens) and book a week of Thanksgiving or Dec (not Xmas week) and either deposit that OR if I end up wanting to rent it out, that should work well too.

Yes it is true. You have to book a week at Ko Olina through Marriott first. If you are seeking to rent it out, I would book the highest demand week like July 4, TG, or any holiday. If you want to use it in 2018 in Maui or Ko Olina - you do need to deposit it into II, so you can trade it. The strength of your trade is dependant upon the demand of the week you selected.

As the MF are so high, you might be better off renting it. Usually you can get $1500-2000 for a studio. Booking it consecutively allows you the option to go for two weeks if you want. It all depends if you can see yourself going for two weeks or not.

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes it is true. You have to book a week at Ko Olina through Marriott first. If you are seeking to rent it out, I would book the highest demand week like July 4, TG, or any holiday. If you want to use it in 2018 in Maui or Ko Olina - you do need to deposit it into II, so you can trade it. The strength of your trade is dependant upon the demand of the week you selected.

As the MF are so high, you might be better off renting it. Usually you can get $1500-2000 for a studio. Booking it consecutively allows you the option to go for two weeks if you want. It all depends if you can see yourself going for two weeks or not.

Thanks! I really dont see us spending 2 weeks in KoÓlina.. We spend 2 weeks in HI but spend the 2nd week with family. In your opinion, if I would want to trade this guess unit for use in 2018, summer time in either Maui or back to KoÓlina, which one of those weeks you mentioned will have a better trading power? July 4th week, TG, December before the Xmas week whatever week is not blocked for me, or the end of July which is (supposedly) the 2nd week of my stay? Seems like whatever I decide, trade it or rent it, I should book a very good busy desirable week for a better return, whether trade or rent right?

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Thanks! I really dont see us spending 2 weeks in KoÓlina.. We spend 2 weeks in HI but spend the 2nd week with family. In your opinion, if I would want to trade this guess unit for use in 2018, summer time in either Maui or back to KoÓlina, which one of those weeks you mentioned will have a better trading power? July 4th week, TG, December before the Xmas week whatever week is not blocked for me, or the end of July which is (supposedly) the 2nd week of my stay? Seems like whatever I decide, trade it or rent it, I should book a very good busy desirable week for a better return, whether trade or rent right?

The best would be to check the demand chart in II for Ko Olina and also ask Marriott. Even though it may say in the chart that it is the highest demand, Marriott can sometimes tell you what they see as the highest demand as they are not always consistent. According to the chart, its weeks 26-30 and weeks 51/52.

Basically yes book the highest demand week for whatever you decide to do.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Just to clarify: You booked your master unit for next year (2017), but didn't book the studio side yet? Or did you book the whole unit for next year and then locked off after?

If you are certain you don't want 2 weeks at Ko Olina next year, then yes book the best week you can and deposit it for the "best" trading power.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I'd think a July week would have higher demand than Thanksgiving and def. more than a week 50. Best advice is to check the TDI in II for that area, since that's what will determine your trade value.
ALWAYS book a week and then deposit it. If you simply let Marriott deposit a week for you, you're not likely to get a high demand deposit, and it will adversely affect your trade value.
Enjoy your purchase- Ko'Olina is what made us fall in love with timesharing. It's a great property, and if I didn't live on the East coast I definitely would have purchased there.

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
KoOlina has high trade value, regardless. Another strategy is to book your week as late as possible, since the two years availability starts with the date of the reservation, once you deposit it. Also, you can gain access to larger units on your trade, now that Interval has instituted a fee for "upgrade". Over the years we have traded for larger (one and two bedroom) units with our Aruba lock off for free, but now there will be a charge ($99 per step). You might also be able to trade back into KoOlina in a future year, but Hawaii properties are much in demand, as you know, so you are fighting weeks users as well as points people, especially in busy months.

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Basically yes book the highest demand week for whatever you decide to do.

Thanks.. Will do just that. Thanks.

Just to clarify: You booked your master unit for next year (2017), but didn't book the studio side yet? Or did you book the whole unit for next year and then locked off after?

If you are certain you don't want 2 weeks at Ko Olina next year, then yes book the best week you can and deposit it for the "best" trading power.

yes, I only booked the master unit for use in 2017 and have not booked the studio yet. Since I was able to get the July week I wanted for the master suite, maybe I will just book the 2nd week for the guest unit and I have time to decide if I will use it or deposit it in II for future use. Since it's a July week anyway, I think it'll have trading power and I have time to think about it but at least it's booked!

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Quadmaniac - thanks for your advice... I do have a question though "just in case" i decide to rent this guest room out. I was able to book the July 2017, week 30. And according to Marriott and II table, that is a good week. Anyway, I received an email from Marriott "Please Review your Accomodation" and it has the lay out of the guest room. It has 1 KING Bed. I dont know if there's a choice for the guest room in MKO that has 2 Queen Beds but just want to know if this is more what a renter would want or 1 King Size is fine. I would think 1 King size.

Also that being said, since I did lock off my unit and booked 2 consecutive weeks, what if I did NOT lock off the unit and booked the 2 bedroom. Would the 2nd bedroom/guest room be 1 king or 2 queens... Just want to know for future reservations. Thanks.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
All 2br at mko have a king and full sofabed in the studio unit. The only rooms that woud have two twins in a room would be the 2br portion of a 3br unit.