• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My potential renter just changed my Marriott reservation! What is going on???

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since this is a discussion of "renting" an owned week... Where can i find a guide for renting my week? Sorry if this is not the right place to post this. I just booked my week and not sure if i will use it for next year or deposit or rent it.... But if I do decide to rent it, where can I get such agreement that you guys are talking about? Or is this just a document that I can type up and signed by renter?

And thanks everyone cuz from reading on this thread, i now know some "dos" and "donts"...

And Full payment by renter is a must before adding their name on the reservation.

Sent you the one I use in a PM

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If by personal check, I allow 10 days ... seems that is about the maximum the bank will back charge you for a personal check. DO NOT BELIEVE the teller, who quotes the check as clearing the NEXT DAY ... they checks aren't even thru the Fed for several days .. much less cleared via banks 3000 miles away ... as being bogus or insufficient funds.

And HOW MANY Federal Bank districts are in the USA? 12. So money being gamed by being transferred between 3 or more districts will take a bit to unravel.

Keep in mind that with Check 21, they no longer process checks my sending physical checks through courier or the mail like they used to before 9/11. Banks now process most of their checks from images and they clear within a couple of days. 3000 miles away or only 100.

Many banks of course will make funds available to the depositor the next day, but they will take the funds back if the check is NSF after it goes through the Federal Reserve and is processed by the other bank.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
That process and timeframe holds true for honest checks. Unfortunately the system still lacks in regards to checks that are intentionally fraudulent and these are the checks we should be most worried about.

The most common scam check is going to look like a US check but the routing number will point to a bank in a far away place and it won't go through the Fed. The account number will be fake. These are the checks used by the Craigslist scammers that want shipping or taxes paid back from the fake check. You will think the funds completely cleared but then 10 days go by and the money comes back out.

If someone has any suspicion at all that a check is not legitimate they should verify the routing number. It doesn't hurt to always verify the name, address, bank name, adress, and routing number of any check you deal with from an online customer.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
That process and timeframe holds true for honest checks. Unfortunately the system still lacks in regards to checks that are intentionally fraudulent and these are the checks we should be most worried about.

The most common scam check is going to look like a US check but the routing number will point to a bank in a far away place and it won't go through the Fed. The account number will be fake. These are the checks used by the Craigslist scammers that want shipping or taxes paid back from the fake check. You will think the funds completely cleared but then 10 days go by and the money comes back out.

If someone has any suspicion at all that a check is not legitimate they should verify the routing number. It doesn't hurt to always verify the name, address, bank name, address, and routing number of any check you deal with from an online customer.

Thanks for the updated info. My new policy is 14 days to clear or USPS money order or cashier's check from a big brand.... to do a direct teller local withdraw.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the updated info. My new policy is 14 days to clear or USPS money order or cashier's check from a big brand.... to do a direct teller local withdraw.

I think 14 days is wise. Banks are allowed to put a 7 business day hold on a deposit of a bad customer. That's 11 actual days if the deposit is made on a Thu or Fri. If the bank thinks a deposit might be at risk for that long then it is a possibility. It could be even longer for a small foreign that only uses paper checks but the bank just can't withhold funds any longer.

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club
Sent you the one I use in a PM

Thanks! I got just read it and its pretty straight forward and simple.

Has anyone thought of just using PayPal.me for easier payments? Its cash and youbdont need to wait for check to clear. Renter can use credit card too.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Has anyone thought of just using PayPal.me for easier payments? Its cash and youbdont need to wait for check to clear. Renter can use credit card too.

Many people use Paypal for timeshare rentals.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

Has anyone thought of just using PayPal.me for easier payments? Its cash and you dont need to wait for check to clear. Renter can use credit card too.

Paypal is not cash. It is a method for an electronic transfer. Someone with a bank and cc linked and verified account can still use an e-check for an instant transfer. That e-check can still bounce and get reversed just like everything else. If they use a credit card they can still file a dispute over a very long period of time.

Paypal is by no means fool proof or scam proof but they do make it quicker and easier. I always offer that option for the deposit and even the final payment but most of my renters like to send checks which is what I prefer anyway. I only do a handful of rentals a year.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Paypal is not cash. It is a method for an electronic transfer. Someone with a bank and cc linked and verified account can still use an e-check for an instant transfer. That e-check can still bounce and get reversed just like everything else. Paypal just makes it quicker and easier.

Actually - a renter can make a "cash" payment with Paypal. They are transferring funds from their Paypal Acct. to your Paypal Acct. No credit card or bank account are involved.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually - a renter can make a "cash" payment with Paypal. They are transferring funds from their Paypal Acct. to your Paypal Acct. No credit card or bank account are involved.

That is true but can you actually tell or even control which method they use? If not then it is a moot point. I never keep a balance in Paypal.

Even if you could tell and demand that the customer use a "paypal cash balance" transfer that seems like it would be bad for business and raise red flags to the customer.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is true but can you actually tell or even control which method they use? If not then it is a moot point. I never keep a balance in Paypal.

Even if you could tell and demand that the customer use a "paypal cash balance" transfer that seems like it would be bad for business and raise red flags to the customer.

I'm not suggesting that you should - I'm just explaining how it works.

I have used Paypal for years, and so far (knock on wood) it has worked well for collecting rental payments.

There is no "perfect," payment method, unless you require the renter to wire the money to you, or pay cash, or send you a money order - and that makes you look like a scammer.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting that you should - I'm just explaining how it works.

I have used Paypal for years, and so far (knock on wood) it has worked well for collecting rental payments.

I take paypal too. My main point is that the payment can still get reversed.

I am not fond of taking a credit card payment for a decent amount of money. The renter can dispute up to a crazy amount of time. I used to think that if the rental was far off I was safe but the law requires the dispute period clock to start from the promise delivery date. 60-90 days from the date of the rental (promised delivery of goods or services). That might be a year from when they paid. I will still take paypal for the full amount if it is what they want to do but I also check into the identity and public records of the person I am dealing with.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no "perfect," payment method, unless you require the renter to wire the money to you, or pay cash, or send you a money order - and that makes you look like a scammer.

The first two yes, wire and cash, but not a money order. Not only are there fake money orders but money orders can also bounce. You might find info stating they cannot bounce but this is completely false. They are safer than a check from a careless money manager but not a scammer. They can cancel a money order as lost or stolen and get a refund. Then once the recipient deposits it, it will bounce.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you refuse to accept credit card payments, you lose a huge chunk of your potential renters who "need" to finance their vacation, or they can't make the purchase.

So, I think you just have to chalk it up to the "cost of doing business."

That being said, I have never had someone "force" a dispute on me. I have had a few that I negotiated, but nothing nefarious.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't refuse. I just don't push it hard as a payment method. I think I have only had two renters that wanted to use paypal for the whole amount but I don't do that many.

I had one renter that sent me a bunch of money orders. I didn't even ask for them. I think they were afraid of sending me a check that had their account number on it. They were fairly upper class people so I know they had a checking account. To each their own.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I had one renter that sent me a bunch of money orders. I didn't even ask for them. I think they were afraid of sending me a check that had their account number on it. They were fairly upper class people so I know they had a checking account. To each their own.

Or they might do a lot of cash business and would rather not deposit it into a bank ;)

Art

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds rather draconian, but if it was my week, I would call and officially complain about the rep who knowingly violated the rules and changed the reservation at the request of someone other than the owner.

If it costs the rep his job, so be it. Word would get around plenty fast, and that would put a major damper on creativity by reps responding to requests from anyone other than owners.

Art

Last edited by a moderator:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Honestly if I knew I was renting my week out at a competitive rate and I had a guy who didn't understand timeshares to this degree, I'd just walk away from the transaction. There's so many ways that people who don't "get it" can come back to haunt you. Not worth it IMO unless you're getting a premium rental rate from the guy.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the Cash app for iPhone. The funds sent to me are cash from the person's checking account. I accept and it goes directly into my checking account. Same if I send cash, though my bank charges $1.00 to send money out. (Other folk's banks don't have that charge)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you search the App Store for "Cash" multiple Apps come up.

Is this the Square Cash App?

Another Tugger recently had a problem with Square in which they closed her account and froze her funds for 90 days after she did her first rental. Not only that, but they would give her no information about why they did this. The renter was happy, and there were no problems, so this was perplexing.

Last edited:

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess it is by Square. I had to click to find the more support page.

I've not had any trouble with using this.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the Cash app for iPhone. The funds sent to me are cash from the person's checking account. I accept and it goes directly into my checking account. Same if I send cash, though my bank charges $1.00 to send money out. (Other folk's banks don't have that charge)

So no fees like PayPal?

Actually, I've wondered about the fees with Paypal. Do the fees apply to rentals?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With PayPal there is a 2.9% fee for business transactions. With Paypal the renter can use any major credit card. If you only accept bank transfers you eliminate all the people who want to use a credit card. I don't know of any payment services that let you accept credit cards for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
With PayPal there is a 2.9% fee for business transactions. With Paypal the renter can use any major credit card. If you only accept bank transfers you eliminate all the people who want to use a credit card. I don't know of any payment services that let you accept credit cards for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they make a deposit to your PayPal account without stating it is business there is no fee.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If they make a deposit to your PayPal account without stating it is business there is no fee.

Right. If they state the payment is between family or friends. Then the fee for using a credit card is paid by the sender not the receiver.