• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sales presentation "incentive" question

snackyx

Reaction score
Here's my story:

Was staying at MCV last year...took the sales presentation. Did not buy anything, and had the Encore presentation person come in to try once more to get me to buy something. Was offered 4 nights/5 days at select resorts, 50,000 MR points AND they would enroll my two weeks into the Destination program for free, which I have up to then resisted doing. This seemed like a good way to at least have access to the system without paying any enrollment fees. I bought the package, and got my weeks enrolled for free.

When I called a few weeks later to book the 4 night package, the gentlemen I was speaking with offered to book my sales presentation for the stay "so I could get my 50000 MR points". Huh? "Yes, you must do a sales presentation in order to get the 50,000 MR points". First I heard anything of this, but I booked a date for the presentation, which will be coming up in a few weeks.

This is my question: When I attend the sales presentation, the regular amount of MR points offered is 20,000--you do not need an Encore stay to get these points. Will I get the 20,000 MR points AND the 50,000 MR points from purchasing the Encore program, or will Marriott screw me by just giving me the 50,000 only? If that is the case, isn't this another classic "devil is in the details" Marriott scam, because the 50,000 bonus points for buying the Encore package is really 30,000 points because you could get the 20,000 by attending the presentation without ever buying the Encore package.

Curious if anyone has run into this, and what the final disposition was. Also, any tips for getting the 20,000 for attending and the 50,000 from the Encore bonus, which is what I think should happen.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure a presentation is required as part of any encore package. From the sales department's perspective the whole point to an encore package is an "encore" of the sales presentation which gives them another chance to bag a sale. They are not doing it to be nice to people that said no to a purchase. That would not make any financial sense. Their department is paying for those incentives.

I think they price it so they are not out much or anything if someone fails to show for a presentation. It is fairly common for the purchase price to include a number of points guaranteed and then another group of points after attending the presentation.

Usually the guaranteed points is tied to the amount they charge for the package. Packages vary all over the place so your deal was probably priced low enough to not include any guaranteed points and then 50k for the presentation. That 50K amount is pretty common. You could always ask but I seriously doubt you can get another 20K on top of the 50K.

Believe it or not but the sales department literally has to pay cash for those points that they give out. It is not so simple to shell out another 20K in points to someone that isn't going to make a purchase.

Last edited:

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
We bought the same encore package to enroll our weeks for free.

It was made very clear to us that we wouldn't get the 50,000 MR points until we attended the encore presentation.

It's spelled out in the paperwork you should have received. You agreed to their terms when you signed and accepted the contract.

Point #4 in the Encore Membership Agreement T&C states:

Sales Presentation, Attendance by the member(s) at a ninety (90) minute sales presentation will be required during the use of your accommodations and during those hours made available by MVCI. ......... Marriott Reward points will be credited to your account within 4-6 weeks after the completion of the sales presentation.

Also, make sure that your encore package is paid in full at least 60 days prior to arriving. We opted for the $100 installments X 10 with no interest.

You can't double dip.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Here's my story:

Was staying at MCV last year...took the sales presentation. Did not buy anything, and had the Encore presentation person come in to try once more to get me to buy something. Was offered 4 nights/5 days at select resorts, 50,000 MR points AND they would enroll my two weeks into the Destination program for free, which I have up to then resisted doing. This seemed like a good way to at least have access to the system without paying any enrollment fees. I bought the package, and got my weeks enrolled for free.

When I called a few weeks later to book the 4 night package, the gentlemen I was speaking with offered to book my sales presentation for the stay "so I could get my 50000 MR points". Huh? "Yes, you must do a sales presentation in order to get the 50,000 MR points". First I heard anything of this, but I booked a date for the presentation, which will be coming up in a few weeks.

This is my question: When I attend the sales presentation, the regular amount of MR points offered is 20,000--you do not need an Encore stay to get these points. Will I get the 20,000 MR points AND the 50,000 MR points from purchasing the Encore program, or will Marriott screw me by just giving me the 50,000 only? If that is the case, isn't this another classic "devil is in the details" Marriott scam, because the 50,000 bonus points for buying the Encore package is really 30,000 points because you could get the 20,000 by attending the presentation without ever buying the Encore package.

Curious if anyone has run into this, and what the final disposition was. Also, any tips for getting the 20,000 for attending and the 50,000 from the Encore bonus, which is what I think should happen.

Depending on the price you paid for your Encore package, the real value was probably the free enrollment of 2 weeks (without having to buy any matching points). The MRPs are the MRPs, and 50k is what you agreed to for attending the presentation required under your Encore package. Double dipping may sound good but (as with Queso at a party), is likely to be frowned upon. Enjoy your 50k.

I would run the math of how much the Encore package cost you against the number of points you are getting access to for enrolling your 2 weeks. The lower your Price Per Point (P3) comes out compared to Marriott's 'retail' price, the better.

You can also get an 'all in' figure by adding the original purchase cost of your weeks with your Encore package price and divide the total by the number of DC points you can now convert to and see what your 'all in' costs per point are.

Anything below $7 per point is ideal, as that is about the lowest price even resale points can be gotten for.

I'm curious to hear your figures.

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Of course you have to attend another presentation to get the Encore package benefits. That is the whole point of an Encore package--to have a second chance to sell you points.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I don't see how this could be characterized as a scam. They sell you an encore package (that expressly states a presentation is required), with a package of clearly defined benefits, that you receive when you attend the presentation on your trip.

frankieray

TUG Member
Reaction score
Encore package

My husband and I are staying at Timberlodge and attended update with salesman Eric. It was a wonderful experience. We received information about the new Villa program, informed us about the point price increase,asked if we were interested in another purchase and sent us on our merry way with our 25,000 MRP. We did want to purchase Encore, we were told that purchase price would be credited if we bought points 1500 minimum and had to attend 90 minute presentation while on package. We were also told if we decided to purchase before vacation we did not need to attend to receive 50,000 MRP with Encore. Incentives to purchase points included: Enrolling post 2010 resale week,bundling purchase with lowest MF week, 2500pluspoints and minimum 1500 DC. NO pressure told them to call with best possible purchase price. If We decide based on per point price of DC less than $7 we would be Chairman. Question? Any real benefit going from Executive status to Chairman?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
My husband and I are staying at Timberlodge and attended update with salesman Eric. It was a wonderful experience. We received information about the new Villa program, informed us about the point price increase,asked if we were interested in another purchase and sent us on our merry way with our 25,000 MRP. We did want to purchase Encore, we were told that purchase price would be credited if we bought points 1500 minimum and had to attend 90 minute presentation while on package. We were also told if we decided to purchase before vacation we did not need to attend to receive 50,000 MRP with Encore. Incentives to purchase points included: Enrolling post 2010 resale week,bundling purchase with lowest MF week, 2500pluspoints and minimum 1500 DC. NO pressure told them to call with best possible purchase price. If We decide based on per point price of DC less than $7 we would be Chairman. Question? Any real benefit going from Executive status to Chairman?

Presidential to Chairman probably not. Executive to Chairman, longer banking window and longer window for last minute exchanges with a points discount (for both Presidential and Chairman). We just went Executive to Presidential and found those to be the main benefits for us.

snackyx

Reaction score
I don't see how this could be characterized as a scam. They sell you an encore package (that expressly states a presentation is required), with a package of clearly defined benefits, that you receive when you attend the presentation on your trip.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but that mandatory attendance at a sales presentation was no part of the Encore presentation. I understand its in the fine print, but EVERYTHING is ALWAYS in the fine print. The sales pitch is "Buy this Encore package and get 50,000 MR points as a bonus!" My point is I can get 20,000 MR points just by attending a sales presentation, which effectively means the real "bonus" for buying the Encore package is actually 30,000 MR points.

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
While the 50 k points is not such a big bonus for another tiring "presentation" the fine print also likely says that if you skip the presentation, you will also be liable for a huge increase in fees for your stay. Something like the difference between your encore fee and what normal retail would be for the stay. These things must work for Marriott, or they wouldn't do them. And, some people must actually buy.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Maybe I wasn't clear, but that mandatory attendance at a sales presentation was no part of the Encore presentation. I understand its in the fine print, but EVERYTHING is ALWAYS in the fine print. The sales pitch is "Buy this Encore package and get 50,000 MR points as a bonus!" My point is I can get 20,000 MR points just by attending a sales presentation, which effectively means the real "bonus" for buying the Encore package is actually 30,000 MR points.
Yes, you may be able to get 20K MRP for attending a presentation. You get 50K for attending an encore presentation (actually 75K if you book a premium week with additional fee). So yes, the amount of MRP you get above the regular presentation is only 30K extra.

I'm no defender of Marriott sales presentations. If they didn't tell you this orally that's unfortunate (and different from my experience). But, right above where you signed on the first page in bold it says "I acknowledge that I must attend a 90 minute presentation..."

Also, terms and conditions para. 4 states in bold all caps "SALES PRESENTATION. ATTENDANCE BY THE MEMBER(S) AT A NINETY (90) MINUTES SALES PRESENTATION WILL BE REQUIRED..."

You also had the right to review the entire agreement (fine print included) and cancel before 7 days The encore agreement is not lengthy. It would take about a minute or two to read all of it. I understand the "fine print" argument when one is told false information contrary to the agreement, but when you sign a contract you are bound by its terms. Otherwise, what's the point of signing?

snackyx

Reaction score
Yes, you may be able to get 20K MRP for attending a presentation. You get 50K for attending an encore presentation (actually 75K if you book a premium week with additional fee). So yes, the amount of MRP you get above the regular presentation is only 30K extra.

That's my only point. Not disputing the legality of the contract. The 50K bonus is really a 30K bonus.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

AND the DC enrollment of your existing weeks AND the reduced room rate for your Encore stay. You can't get those just for attending a normal sales presentation. Plus the amount you paid gets credited to the purchase price of any points you buy, making it effectively a "free" stay (plus the bonuses) if you buy points, which is what the Encore offer is designed to accomplish. No sympathy here.

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
These things must work for Marriott, or they wouldn't do them. And, some people must actually buy.
I think a lot of people who buy an Encore package do so because they think it is likely they will buy points when they come back. For anyone interested in doing that, the Encore package is a no-brainer.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
Attending a session at the GO. Met with Dave who actually was selectively knowledgable and nice to chat with. Nothing new...I took 20k Marriott Reward points. I got 35 dollars of food credit at the GO. Pushed enrolling my post 2010 2010 Monarch week and EYO Chateau 2 BR by purchasing 4000 points for 40k. The big push was to increase my level to get 13 months out. I was offered an encore package....M-F summer HHI guaranteed if I give 2 locations and 2 weeks. I will get this in writing. I will also get 65000 MR points. Cost 1499.

How much would you value 65k mr points....I am thinking 400. This would put 4 nights at either Monarch or GO at 1099 or 275 per night. I have until I leave to do this. Thoughts on if it is worth it.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Value of MR points

I was just in HH earlier this month and received 50,000 points (plus a $25 voucher) for doing a presentation (probably shouldn't have told you that). I was "pre-gifted" and they would have charged me $600 on my credit card if I didn't show up for the presentation (although they could have still stopped the points going through as they weren't credited to me until about a week after we did the tour). On that basis, I would value the 65,000 points at about $747 of the $1,499 you're paying for the encore package. That would bring the 4 night cost of the Villa stay to $188/ night. Sounds like a good deal to me, especially if you end up buying something in the future and the full $1,499 gets applied to the transaction cost. Good luck.
Brian

vacationcrazy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just in HH earlier this month and received 50,000 points (plus a $25 voucher) for doing a presentation (probably shouldn't have told you that). I was "pre-gifted" and they would have charged me $600 on my credit card if I didn't show up for the presentation (although they could have still stopped the points going through as they weren't credited to me until about a week after we did the tour). On that basis, I would value the 65,000 points at about $747 of the $1,499 you're paying for the encore package. That would bring the 4 night cost of the Villa stay to $188/ night. Sounds like a good deal to me, especially if you end up buying something in the future and the full $1,499 gets applied to the transaction cost. Good luck.
Brian

Could you please tell me what the Encore package is and how much does it cost?
Deb

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Could you please tell me what the Encore package is and how much does it cost?
Deb

Deb, an Encore package is essentially a way for Marriott to get a "2nd shot" at selling you, when you decide NOT to buy during a presentation. They incentivize you by offering a return visit to the same location at a cash price that is reasonable (usually for 4-7 nights) vs. using a week or DC points to return. Sometimes they even make it more attractive by adding Marriott Reward points or a cruise to the package at an additional cost. If when you come back and go on the presentation (this is a requirement) and you decide to purchase, they apply the entire amount of the Encore package price toward your purchase price, essentially making your visit and additional compensation "free" (haha, I can think of so many clichés for that). Prices of the packages vary by location, number of nights, additional incentives, etc. but are usually between $1,500- $2,500.

In any case, we have done them several times and always viewed it as an additional Villa vacation without using weeks or points. We have also purchased on an encore trip thus getting an additional discount off the purchase price.
Good luck.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
Attending a session at the GO. Met with Dave who actually was selectively knowledgable and nice to chat with. Nothing new...I took 20k Marriott Reward points. I got 35 dollars of food credit at the GO. Pushed enrolling my post 2010 2010 Monarch week and EYO Chateau 2 BR by purchasing 4000 points for 40k. The big push was to increase my level to get 13 months out. I was offered an encore package....M-F summer HHI guaranteed if I give 2 locations and 2 weeks. I will get this in writing. I will also get 65000 MR points. Cost 1499.

How much would you value 65k mr points....I am thinking 400. This would put 4 nights at either Monarch or GO at 1099 or 275 per night. I have until I leave to do this. Thoughts on if it is worth it.

why would someone be untruthful on an encore package. I see no advantage in this but it appears to be the case. I asked about guarenteed in writing availability for summer GO or Monarch. I was told if I gave two week, I would get one if the two resorts guaranteed in writing it never came to pass. After leaving multiple messages, I never got a call back during the 4 day window the offer valid for. I was thinking of adding to my fixed Monarch week next year either before or after my week. Not calling me back is actually more disrespectful than misleading me.