• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mom/Pop Timeshares [Windjammer]

megan722

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in a EY 2bd/1.5 ba mom/pop timeshare on the beach in NC. It is beachfront, has a pool, but is not fancy whatsoever. It is a fixed summer week, which is the week I always go on vacation and my birthday week. The maintenance fees are less than 500/yr. The exchange company is II. I might be able to get this timeshare for under 1500 including all closing and on the website for this property, this property rents for $1200/wk. On the surface it looks like a good deal. I always travel this week and I thought being beachfront etc would be a good vacation and a good trade when I don't want to go to the beach that year.

I hope this isn't a loaded question but would this be a good deal? I know a lot of the talk on this board is geared towards the hotel owned programs and I haven't come across many posts related to these mom/pop timeshares. I'd love to know some of the experienced tuggers thoughts on this. By the way, I did just join TUG a few days ago but have been doing a lot of research over the last several weeks thanks to this site. Thanks!

Megan

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Without knowing the name of the timeshare, it's really hard to give an educated response.

*With this type of timeshare, sometimes the potential problem is management and maintenance. Mom and Pop may not be professional managers.

Last edited:

megan722

TUG Member
Reaction score
Additional Info

I do live in NC as well so this is a driveable location for me.

megan722

TUG Member
Reaction score
Windjammer

The place is Windjammer.. sorry nervous about posting specifics because I want this to myself! :)

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Have you ever stayed at the resort or at least visited the resort? If you have and you are happy with the level of service, it sounds like a great deal. If it has a lot of deferred Maintenance, you make the call. $500 sounds a little low for MFs. We stayed in OBX recently and my DH had a couple of talks by the pool with one of the board members and they have a real struggle to get what needs to be done on the $600 that they pay (most owners don't want to increase MF) but the elements are hard on anything that is outdoors like the pool furniture and the decks and dune crossings.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it seems like a good deal to you, then it's a good deal. I'd probably ask for a current financial statement to see if it's well enough capitalized to be able to afford it's upkeep and not be at risk for a Special Assessment. You should also look at 'bad debt', those would be deadbeat owners who've defaulted, leaving upkeep up to the rest of the owners.

On the whole, I like small, independent TSs rather than the hotel branded ones. I don't need a babysitter for the kids, I like to know the board members. If it's well managed, lives within it's means, is well insured, clean and maintained, what more do you need?

Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Have you visited the TUG Resorts and Reviews to see the ratings and reviews for this resort?

megan722

TUG Member
Reaction score
No I haven't looked at the reviews.. I guess I should do that. No, I haven't stayed at this particular place before but I've stayed at places like this before. It's a basic beach place and not fancy and I'm OK with that. But I thought it might be a desirable trade? Do you guys think it would be or will this be one of those places that I'll never be able to trade?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
But I thought it might be a desirable trade? Do you guys think it would be or will this be one of those places that I'll never be able to trade?

Maybe. Which exchange is it associated with? if RCI, how many TPUs does it pull? Answers to those questions would address your musing.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also - does this unit have a guaranteed Ocean Front view?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tuggers rate this resort 5/10 - which is not good: I would call that a D or C-

It looks like very few units are actually ocean front, because the buildings are perpendicular to the ocean.

5.00/10

0402 WJM

Address
The Windjammer
5619 Virginia Dare Trail
P.O. Box 1266
Nags Head NC 27959
Phone
252-441-4811

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I don't think TUG ratings are really set for mom and pop resorts or places like coastal NC. If Disney and Westin are 10's then yes most of OBX would be 4-6.

10 - World class resort with everything included. Should be the best resort you have ever seen! Most are self-contained vacation destinations. Everything is in perfect order. There should be very few ratings of "10" given.
9 - A great resort with everything except a major extra (e.g., golf or skiing being off-site). Beautiful units with fabulous decor. This should be among the 2nd to 4th best resorts you have seen.
8 - A good resort with a great location. Still has top quality units and furnishing with on site recreation and activity director. An excellent exchange.
7 - Above average resort but missing some extras and charges for the extras they do provide (e.g., tennis, bikes). Units might be a little smaller, not quite as plush but still very nice.
6 - This resort is nice but just one step above average. Has planned activities, but units may be older. Does not have many activities or full time director. An ok exchange, but wish it were better.
5 - Average resort. Nothing special but OK. Would not go there again.
4 - Below average.
3 - Below average.
2 - Awful. Avoid if possible. Has old furniture, poor service, no extras, poor location, would not trade into again.
1 - Awful. Avoid if possible. Has old furniture, poor service, no extras, poor location, would not trade into again.

Per the TUG rating system, there is no resorts in OC,MD or OBX, NC that could possibly get above a 6 but it doesn't mean that they aren't incredibly sought after and difficult exchanges in the summer and go for much higher when sold then some of the units that are rated much higher but have very high MF's/

Last edited:

megan722

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah I did just go read the reviews and to be frank, none of them scared me away. It seems like all of the other the places at the Outer Banks. Very few hotels etc. I don't know what kind of points I'd get.. it appears I'd have to join II to know that?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reviews are all 10+ years old, and not too reassuring at that. Mentions of leaking windows, cheap panelled walls, nobody in the office, nickel and dime charges for basics (TV, VCR, etc.) would give me pause. What meager reviews there are indicate poor management and possibility of a SA.

Beware- unless there has been a change in management. $500 is too low a MF for an ocean front property. At a minimum, you need more solid information before buying in. Not TUGger opinions.

Jim

megan722

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll look into this one a little more. I really appreciate all the feedback everyone has provided :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't know what kind of points I'd get.. it appears I'd have to join II to know that?

II is not a points system - and they don't disclose trading power when you deposit, the way RCI does.

In RCI, the maximum TPU is 31 which is average (maximum is 60.) I would say that the TPU is good vs the maintenance fee.

However, my main concern would be the condition of the resort and the competence of management. If maintenance has been neglected, a major problem like roof, plumbing, or anything big, could generate a big special assessment.

Unless there has been a major renovation since the TUG reviews, it's not a place I'd want to stay.

Last edited:

megan722

TUG Member
Reaction score
There could be. It appears that there was a person managing it until Dec of last year and now it is a property management company since Jan of this year. So it's possible they may do a renovation in which case, I'll be SOL. I will do more research on this place.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It appears that some or all were updated according to this listing:

http://www.rentabeach.com/1581236

Of course that may mean maintenance fees will go up.

This property appears to be a combination of private ownership condos, and timeshares. Private owners may independently renovate their own unit - that doesn't mean the timeshares have been renovated.

*If you live in the area - you should definitely visit the property.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Windjammer was my second exchange!

Windjammer was probably our second exchange. I did a review years ago, which is now gone from the data base.

We enjoyed the location in south Nags Head. Basic units, similar to the older houses on the outer banks. Definitely not gold crown or 5 star, but it was great for us, being directly on the beach. Back in those years, none of the newer houses were built up around Nags Head, which has become more crowded. If you know what you are getting, the "old school" nags head, with direct beach access, than I say GO FOR IT.

$500 MF is a great price. Check out their management and the ways that fees have risen, or not, over the years. Windjammer is definitely older. I have stayed in Gold crown RCI resorts, 5 star II resorts in the last 35 years, and each has its good and bad. For me, and perhaps for you, the location and amenities in the area can surely surpass the unit itself. You just want to make sure it is clean and comfortable.

I am reminded of Barrier Island Station in Duck. We took a tour there when in the area. At the time, Barrier Island was "the thing!" It was selling like hotcakes, and it was remote enough to attract folks who wanted to be away from Nags Head and Kitty Hawk. I was so excited when I got an exchange to Barrier Island for my Mom and her group of friends in a fall getaway. :whoopie:

I had talked the resort up so much and she was SO DISAPPOINTING. :(

Mo Mom couldn't believe how I raved about this resort. She LOVED Sea Scape in Kitty Hawk, even though it was not on the beach. But it was spread out and the units were large.

When I bought timeshare back in 1980, our first trip was to Hilton head at the island club. Basic, older resort. We recently re-visited this site and found it to be lovely. Not all of the bells and whistles at other resorts, but a great spread of land on the ocean and tons of things to do in HHI.

I am rambling but just wanted to give you a sense of going into it with your eyes wide open. Talk to the front office, find out how and when the update the units, confirm the MF increases or any special assessments, etc. And come back here to let us know how it went and what you decide.

Go Good!

megan722

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much Sandy. It sounds like you know the type of place it is and it is what I expected. I look at it as a place to lay my head and not a big walk to get to the water. This is definitely not fancy but I've never stayed fancy at OBX either. Thanks again for the feedback!!!

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
$1500 sounds like a lot for a property the way it's being described. I'm not saying it's not worth that to you since it's a week you desire but have you looked at some of the usual places TUGgers look for deals? TUG Classifieds, TUG bargain deals forum, eBay, Craig's List, Red Week etc.

I wouldn't pay that much for a place I've never seen, don't know what it's like to stay there and how much others are offering it for, but I'm on the cheap side.

Edited to say, I see that you said under $1500 dollars so I would say you need to determine your max price and stick to it.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Also remember if you are looking on eBay to do research on the seller, some are better than others and some are lousy.