• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] II is alive and well..

answeeney

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t blame anyone for maximizing their options; in fact I applaud it. Let’s face it though the II system is far from perfect and results in some trades which are highly skewed. There are attempts such as trading power and XYZ (II’s best kept secret, to borrow a phrase from DVC) to address the imperfections and give participants a fairer deal but the flaws provide an opportunity for experts (like many tuggers) to use their knowledge to come out ahead more often than not. You could argue this is a legitimate benefit for someone who has put in the time and effort to learn about the system. However, in my view, it is just as reasonable to try to level the playing field and the DC system is, arguably, an attempt to do just that.

The DC system has its own imperfections but I do not think it is legitimate to criticise it on the basis that it reduces the opportunities to play the existing system to your advantage, which is an attitude that does often come across to me on this site (my apologies in advance if anyone who has posted on this thread thinks I am pointing a censorious finger at them - I’m not – it’s just an impression I have gained from reading many past threads).

As for agruments like "the Marriott salesman said I could always trade my silver studio mudweek for a 3 bed in Hawaii", well...

DCBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I assume that most folks will join or not join the DC based upon its cost at the time and whether or not they think it works for them financially and otherwise in the long-run. However, in order to avoid the need for our own spinoff here on TUG, I might suggest that if someone reports that they got a great trade through II or DC in the future, it would be best to just congratulate them on their "score" and move on. After all, aren't we all just trying to do the best we can with what we own regardless of our membership class or status?

davemy

TUG Member
Reaction score
:) But all tuggers like to brag! We all like to hear succes stories thou. It just bums me out that i will have to join, just in case i don't want to be left behind in the future. I would not do it at over $2000 dollars and marriott probably knows that.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

Dave... I am assuming you own direct purchased weeks...

Spend the $695 to enroll. Collect your 800 pts and add 2 weeknites to one of your Legacy week stays. The next time you snag a HHI week on Flex add 2 nites with the 800 pts. This more than $695 retail. Your enrollment was wash!!!

Keep playing the Legacy game and only use points if you want to!!! remember, they are your weeks, use them as you want too!!!!

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I don't want something for nothing... My expectations were set at my sales presentation when my used car salesman recommended this practice as commonplace and well accepted. So in a way Marriott caused there own problem.

I am all for people taking advantage of what's available to them. However, some people feel entitled to some advantages they are able to achieve through a system. It is the entitlement attitude that some tuggers have that is what I don't understand. Marriott did try to level the field a bit with the DC system. Some folks paid $50,000 for their 2 bedroom platinum week in Hawaii while others paid $25,000 for their 1 bedroom gold week in Desert Springs Villas. The problem that I have is that people feel entitled to that platinum Hawaii and with their gold Desert Springs. Folks on this site have been raving mad about losing what was nothing more than a privilege.

Your expectations were set by the paperwork you signed, nothing more and nothing less. Anything extra should be considered just that, an extra but not an entitlement.

rpk113

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your expectations were set by the paperwork you signed, nothing more and nothing less. Anything extra should be considered just that, an extra but not an entitlement.

I disagree with that statement. The facts of your ownership were set when you signed the paperwork (one week, where you bought). The delusions of grandeur and "go anywhere you want in the marriott system" expectations were set by the salesman. Two very distinct and different things.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Marriott did try to level the field a bit with the DC system.

Possibly, but for owners at many resorts they just created a different set of inequities. Theoretically, they could have leveled the playing field IF they set the point allocations to some objective measure (equating it, for example, to what Marriott.com charges for renting rooms at each resort). But as is, they created another subset of inequities, with some resorts being better value to won and others being better values to trade into.

And I understand the skim- but in the interest of leveling the playing field, as you put it, why did Marriott make it so that at some resorts owners can't book a single week in their season, while at others they can book some weeks and not have enough points for others (and- yes- I know that you simply book a week at your home resort using your week- BUT- and this is a bug BUT- if you aren't given enough points to book a week at your home resort you are effectively downtrading anyplace else.

So while theoretically the DC could have leveled the playing field and made trades equitable, in which case I could understand your point that the prior uptrades were lucky but not guaranteed, for many of us it created a whole new subset of inequities (and I think even many of those that love the system recognize that there are essentially winners and losers by virtue of the point allocation). When units that Marriott itself rents at close to double the price don't receive enough points to reserve units that Marriott itself rents for half to two-thirds the price, how is the playing field being made more equitable?

pipet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai, Marriott Shadow Ridge
Possibly, but for owners at many resorts they just created a different set of inequities.

Exactly - with points there is a new game to play, but it is still a game with winners & losers. People who paid extra $$$ for a special week/view but were not given any additional DC points are definitely losers in the DC game. People who tended to make like-for-like trades also don't do so well with the DC. Some resorts have a fabulous MF to DC pt ratio, and if I owned at one of those, I'd be in DC point heaven busy planning out trips.

There are ways to work around the DC, but just as some folks had to know the ins-and-outs of II to not feel like they were losing out, the same can be said of the DC. At least here on TUG, we learn the nuances of whatever systems we choose to use.

As for the OP's great uptrade, it should be impossible according to some sales reps!

Scott_Ru

TUG Member
Reaction score
DC points can kiss my rear....

I just got my trade 11 months out..

1 Bdrm Gold Surf Club deposited..
2 Bdrm Plat Surf Club Granted...

I'll be there all week , enjoy the veal, be sure to tip your waitress...

Agreed - we own at Grande Vista in Orlando...but also have a much cheaper unit on Cape Cod. We needed more space in prime time for 2013 at GV and just got a 2-bedroom Grande Vista for our Cape Unit off-prime season.

Go Interval!

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am all for people taking advantage of what's available to them. However, some people feel entitled to some advantages they are able to achieve through a system. It is the entitlement attitude that some tuggers have that is what I don't understand. Marriott did try to level the field a bit with the DC system. Some folks paid $50,000 for their 2 bedroom platinum week in Hawaii while others paid $25,000 for their 1 bedroom gold week in Desert Springs Villas. The problem that I have is that people feel entitled to that platinum Hawaii and with their gold Desert Springs. Folks on this site have been raving mad about losing what was nothing more than a privilege.

The resorts in Aruba were shortchanged in DC point allocations. To stay at the OC during Christmas and New Year's in a 1 bedroom unit it is in excess of 4000 points. As a platinum owner I am only allocated 2900 points---I own 3 platinum weeks. The playing field is definitely inequitable and I do NOT have an entitlement issue.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great exchange overnight

I deposited a one bedroom master (of my 2 bedroom lock off) using my gold MCV. Less than 24 hours later, just yesterday, I receives confirmation of my successful exchange into Marriott Grande Ocean in HH for April 19-26, 2013.

I'm thinking this is not a bad exchange. My studio couldn't pull it. I have a feeling that a studio couldn't pull HH except for maybe Jan.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We had a similar experience with Ocean Watch for this past April. Had an ongoing request with our Grande Vista studio unit. It didn't come though after a couple of weeks of waiting. We canceled that request and started one with the 1BR and it came through overnight. So it was a trade power issue where the studio couldn't pull the 2BR but the 1BR could.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
And my friend recently used a Gold Aruba SC studio week to get the exact dates over week 51 she wanted; matching into a 1BR at the Aruba OC. Much better deal than using points for the holiday week!

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now just thinking about what I can nab with my gold studio..... a one or two bedroom perhaps? I just traded my last gold MCV studio in April for a 2 bedroom lakeshore reserve in October. It's working for me!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We were just able to exchange our Harbour Lake gold studio in to a May 2016 (silver) Ocean Pointe 2BR week. I was rather annoyed when I got a call from II trying to offer me a different unit. We had a search in for Oceana Palms only because it is all 2BR units. The last time they tried to get us to take a 1BR or studio at Ocean Pointe. This time they offered a 2BR and my annoyance turned in to happiness.

I am surprised that the studio could see the 2BR unit this far out. I expected it to be more likely to see this happen in January or February 2016.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
We were just able to exchange our Harbour Lake gold studio in to a May 2016 (silver) Ocean Pointe 2BR week. I was rather annoyed when I got a call from II trying to offer me a different unit. We had a search in for Oceana Palms only because it is all 2BR units. The last time they tried to get us to take a 1BR or studio at Ocean Pointe. This time they offered a 2BR and my annoyance turned in to happiness.

I am surprised that the studio could see the 2BR unit this far out. I expected it to be more likely to see this happen in January or February 2016.

I did an EPlus trade last week with a non marriott studio and was able to get a two bedroom in May.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I did an eplus exchange with my Desert Springs studio into a mid-Sept 2016 week at Newport Coast.

So far so good with II. I have no complaints.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
2 weeks ago I put a request first For a Monarch Aug 13 to 20th for. Grand Ocean for July 24th. I normally do not plan this far out but I need to sleep 8 and I had the belief II trades are more difficult for Marriott to Marriott prime season. This was done on a Friday. Monday I get the trade.

To quote Mark Twain....The reports of II's death has been greatly exaggregated.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
2 weeks ago I put a request first For a Monarch Aug 13 to 20th for. Grand Ocean for July 24th. I normally do not plan this far out but I need to sleep 8 and I had the belief II trades are more difficult for Marriott to Marriott prime season. This was done on a Friday. Monday I get the trade.

To quote Mark Twain....The reports of II's death has been greatly exaggregated.

The others were all off-season, but this one is a gem indeed. :clap:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Oddly when I check Ocean Pointe doing a retrade of our confirmed exchange, I can't see any of the 2BR units that were there when we made the initial trade. When I look with a larger unit, I can see them. So it seems that the unit I traded in to was one of those weird situations where you can make a trade that you really shouldn't be able to do.

I have seen this before. A whole bunch of studios showing as available with the odd 2BR unit. When you look with a full 2BR then there are a lot more larger units. For whatever reason, when units get dumped in, not all require the same trade power. Some require so much less.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Oddly when I check Ocean Pointe doing a retrade of our confirmed exchange, I can't see any of the 2BR units that were there when we made the initial trade. When I look with a larger unit, I can see them. So it seems that the unit I traded in to was one of those weird situations where you can make a trade that you really shouldn't be able to do.

I have seen this before. A whole bunch of studios showing as available with the odd 2BR unit. When you look with a full 2BR then there are a lot more larger units. For whatever reason, when units get dumped in, not all require the same trade power. Some require so much less.

Trading with the studio is such a crapshoot. I think that something was goofy with II studio trades a few weeks ago. And I suspect that it has been corrected because all of the sudden my studios see very few Marriott two bedroom units again.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I concur. My marriott studio could also see most of the same units my 2br marriott could see. With the 2br you could see a little further out and a few bigger units but the studio saw 90% of what a 2br could. Then last week the studios lost its supercharged ability. What II does is not for us mortals to know.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
We just got an exchange into Barony on HHI for the week before Memorial Day. This is the last week in their gold season. We used our "lowly" silver Barony week to get it. Took less than a month with II. While I realize May is still not prime time in HHI, it's close.

Looking at the points calendar it would cost us 2900 points for the May week. We only get 1625 points for our silver week.

Yea, II still works!:banana:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
We just got an exchange into Barony on HHI for the week before Memorial Day. This is the last week in their gold season. We used our "lowly" silver Barony week to get it. Took less than a month with II. While I realize May is still not prime time in HHI, it's close.

Looking at the points calendar it would cost us 2900 points for the May week. We only get 1625 points for our silver week.

Yea, II still works!:banana:

That may be the reservation I recently cancelled (converted the Week to Points instead.) You're welcome, enjoy! :D

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
That may be the reservation I recently cancelled (converted the Week to Points instead.) You're welcome, enjoy! :D

Thank you if it was yours! :wave: The confirmation shows it as a garden unit deposit.

My sister and family will be at Grande Ocean that week, so I plan to ask my brother and sister-in-law to join us. We've never all been there at the same time.

I decided to buy E-plus and hope to maybe trade to Grande Ocean. Never know.