• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scotland locations

herkimer

Reaction score
I have read about the peaceful parkland settings of the three HGVC locations in Scotland. How remote are they? I am looking for one that would make a good base but give me lots to see and do within an hour or so drive. Will any of them allow me to tour Edinburgh or historic areas within a reasonable drive?

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hilton Craigendarroch worked well for us. It's a mile from Ballater in the heart of whisky and castle country (the Queen's getaway palace at Balmoral is just down the road). We drove out from there to Stonehaven and Dunnottar, to Elgin and Lossiemouth, and to Fort William and Inverness. Edinburgh would be about three hours south so it's not a day trip.

Cameron House is on Loch Lomond, near Glasgow (which has the Charles Rennie Mackintosh house and Willow Tea Rooms), about two hours from Oban and also about two hours from Edinburgh.

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the Craigendarroch. There is so much to do with easier driving compared to other areas. There is the castle trail, whiskey trail and it is near Balmoral, back in the day Princess Diana would bring the boy there for swimming. I loved the little town of Balater which you can walk into from the resort. The units were exceptional but it has been a number of years now since I have gone. We took the train from Aberdeen one day to Edinburgh for the day. You could also do it a an add on and start or end there. Another time we did that and got a good hotel deal through Priceline. You don't need a car in Edinburgh.

http://www.aberdeen-grampian.com/area-guide/trails/castle-trail.aspx

Reaction score
One day is not enough for Edinburgh esp during the Festivals--there are at least three of them beginning in August. We used Hilton honor points and stayed at what is now the Waldorf. We went to the Fringe which is the first of the three. Then there was the Tattoo and the Royal Mile. You can do a lot there without a car as they have been "ripping out the streets" for a couple of years. Don't forget to pack your Wellingtons: Should you go to Salisbury and Stonehenge take Pat Shelley's tour. We were inside the stones at sunset. Quite impressive.