• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please help me understand future inheritance of DRI

just_looking

Reaction score
I'm the executor of my parents' will, as well as a beneficiary. They own 70,000 DRI points. This is the only number I know; getting $ information out of them is sensitive.

Here's what I've been able to glean:
1. Last year when they were staying at a location, they paid $ to do something to their account to "make it easier" for me and siblings to inherit. (I assume this means they bought more points and maybe put everything into "trust points"?)
2. They visit several resorts within the system, so I assume they are Club members.
3. All of their points have been purchased directly from DRI.
4. One parent told me that they pay $7k-$8k/year in fees. That seems low to me for 70k points, based on what I've seen here browsing the board. (I think they've purchased in Sedona and Las Vegas).

So my questions are:
A) Realistically, how much can I assume they are paying for all of their maintenance and Club fees?
B) If points are inherited, are they restricted like re-sale points, or are they considered purchased from DRI?
C) What else should I consider when the inheritance happens and I have to decide to disclaim or accept?

Thanks!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I'm the executor of my parents' will, as well as a beneficiary. They own 70,000 DRI points. This is the only number I know; getting $ information out of them is sensitive.

Here's what I've been able to glean:
1. Last year when they were staying at a location, they paid $ to do something to their account to "make it easier" for me and siblings to inherit. (I assume this means they bought more points and maybe put everything into "trust points"?)
2. They visit several resorts within the system, so I assume they are Club members.
3. All of their points have been purchased directly from DRI.
4. One parent told me that they pay $7k-$8k/year in fees. That seems low to me for 70k points, based on what I've seen here browsing the board. (I think they've purchased in Sedona and Las Vegas).

So my questions are:
A) Realistically, how much can I assume they are paying for all of their maintenance and Club fees?
B) If points are inherited, are they restricted like re-sale points, or are they considered purchased from DRI?
C) What else should I consider when the inheritance happens and I have to decide to disclaim or accept?

Thanks!

A) The Club dues are about $300/year. The maintenance fees depend on which collection the points are in. Hawaii collection (which includes Sedona and Las Vegas) is $0.15/point and US Collection is $0.16/point, so they must be paying over $10,000/year.
B) Inherited points are not restricted. The problem with resale points is that the Club membership does not transfer with the points. When points are inherited, the Club membership is also inherited. Without Club membership, you can only book the resorts within the collection. With Club membership you can book any of the DRI resorts in the world.
C) Are you ready to commit to a lifetime of $10K/year in fees, that will most certainly keep increasing? Points are difficult to get rid of, even if given away. Points do come with the advantage of flexible length of stays, and convenience of knowing exactly what's available when you go to book it. 70,000 points will get you 4-12 weeks of vacation at some very nice resorts, but will you be able to afford that much vacation time and travel expense?

Bill4728

Reaction score
We had over 7000 pts in the DRI/ Monarch Grand collection and paid about $1000/yr

They could easily pay less than that so $7K- $8K so reasonable to me
Yes that is true

You'll have to decide but if you accept they they are your and you'll have to pay the MF till you sell.

BTW DRI points sell for less than 1% of what they were bought for.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Make sure they didn't add you to any deeds. If they did get that changed now. If they add you now, you may already be an owner and unravelling that later will be more difficult than doing it now.

just_looking

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

It sounds like they are probably paying about 70,000*.15 +$300...so almost $11k per year. This is not something I'd want to commit to for a lifetime. I know the points are essentially worth $0 if I wanted to dispose of them later; I've seen threads here and ebay auctions where the seller has to agree to pay fees to give it away. :(

PeelBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own 10000 points, deed converted to points of the Club. My adult children are not interested in timesharing. My question is when I pass away, what are the legal obligations my kids have to deal with.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
They can refuse ownership of the points.

This is correct. IMO the best thing to do is tell them they have this option; specifically leave it to them in your will; and have a paragraph in your will spelling out that beneficiaries can disclaim any inheritance. None of this is absolutely necessary and is probably overkill but it is how I tend to do things.

George

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
15 cents per point does not seem right for Hawaii collection

We have 10,000 Hawaii collection points, and we are members of The Club. Our maintenance fees for 2015 were $2,029.34, not the $1,800 suggested by the rule cited earlier. Are you sure you are providing current info?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have 10,000 Hawaii collection points, and we are members of The Club. Our maintenance fees for 2015 were $2,029.34, not the $1,800 suggested by the rule cited earlier. Are you sure you are providing current info?

I was quoting from a sales listing, which may indeed be out of date.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score

I own 54,000 points. I pay $9,232.52 (including club fees) in 2015. It is part US collection (13,000) and part of Hawaii collection (41,000). It seems to me is $0.17 per points. But I think to calculation the maintenance fees, you need to take the club fees out. So usually, the more points you own, the less cost per point since you only need to pay one club fee.