• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Playa Andaluza Update (JUL 2011 )

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
Just returned from a 2 week Playa Andaluza visit.

It's peak season and the resort is at 100% capacity. Yet you don't feel the presence of people as they spread out at the different pools or the beach. The resort of course looks great. They've given the resort a landscaping "hair cut" as last year's rains had some of the trees/shrubs grow by a few feet. The apartments are themselves in great shape as all guests here receive daily bed-making and a mid-week tidy. This policy really helps to allow housekeeping to stay on top of things and preserve the hard goods and appearance of the apartments.

Because all new construction is on hold, the GM manages to get some funds from Marriott to take the two remaining undevloped tracts and to add some lounge chair seating near the kiddie pools while also developing a more extensive play area for the younger kids. A raquet ball court is also added along with a mini-golf course which along with the already-exisiting infrastructure greatly expands recreational alternatives on the resort.

Summer car rental rates were sky high again, so we arrange a limo to/from the airport via resort concierge. We don't mind being "stranded" at the resort like Gilligans Island as we're beach people to the core and we can always grab a taxi to Marbella, Puerto Banus, or Estepona and the dining opportunities around us. As to dining, we do several lunches/dinners at the Vela Azul, the chiringuito next to the resort directly on the beach. The French guy there ( who speaks halting English, but is a gracious host ) has changed the decor and his place becomes our "hang out" space as he's put out two sails to act as a shade tarp in front of his place and between this and the shade and open windows inside of his place, you've got a great way to have a drink or a snack in the shade while enjoying both a breeze and the view. Our other favorite restaurant is La Cappanina, an Italian restaurant where the chef often serves you at the table and the food is delicious ( & a little pricey given the USD to Euro exchange rate ). But hey we're on vacation. ;) We also discover a good Chinese restaurant up the road which also delivers at the resort. Concierge can advise on this and more.

So we rack up yet another surperlative Playa visit. I have added a few new photos from this most recent trip. All of the new stuff is on the first page.

Otherwise, all is well at Playa and everything here looks great. One unresolved issue remains the fate of the resort chiringuito ( beach grill ) as the provincial government has yet to act on a decision made 3 years ago by the central government to remove all chiringuitos from Spain's beaches. The recession puts all of these plans on hold so all chiringuito owners remain in limbo . . . which is good news for tourists who are hungry or like to stroll ont he beach and stop for a snack or a drink.

Also had friends who stay up at Marbella who mention that the beach up at Marbella resort has been gnawed at by some storms and that there is some sort of controversay between the resort and the local government over who is responsibile for beach replenishment. I do not have any other details than this and as I say, this is second hand info heard from reliable friends who share their experiences from up the beach. Perhaps some other Marbella owners can clarify what's going on ( we also own there, but have not heard anything in the newletters ). Playa's beach is status quo -- beautiful waters, wide beach, and lots of rocks at water's edge which makes for interesting wading walks as people try to navigate the waves and rocks.

Hope you enjoy the photos ( also some new photos of the Vela Azul restaurant in a sub gallery )

Barry

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
Thanks for the update and the great photos. We were at Playa Andaluza in April, and loved the resort. We were in an oceanfront, top floor in building Cadiz, and I must have taken 100 shots of the view from our balcony at all times of day and night because it was just so spectacular, and the ocean and sky changed so much, even hour to hour. One late afternoon/evening, they were doing a professional photo shoot near the main pool, and had every umbrella open and perfectly aligned. No people, just scenery so must have been for Marriott brochure or ?

Since you are an owner at both, I wonder if you have an opinion of why Marbella gets higher ratings? We were at Marbella the first week, and actually liked Playa better, although we certainly would return to either. Having the 3 bedroom Playa oceanfront as opposed to the oceanview at Marbella may have influenced me, but we also were more impressed with the staff, the beach (which at that time at Marbella was eroded and had chunks of concrete retaining wall scattered, and just looked uncared for) and the villas.

Already, I'm looking at how to squeeze in another Costa del Sol trip!

Ann

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
. . .I must have taken 100 shots of the view from our balcony at all times of day and night because it was just so spectacular, and the ocean and sky changed so much, even hour to hour . . .

Being a photo guy, I can relate to your being mesmerized by the view, especially from Cadiz up front. We were in Almiera in a 2BR close to the front and we too spend a lot of time on that balcony looking out onto the Med. Then again, sometimes the drama is in the mountains behind when clouds swirl around. It's a fantastic region with all of these elements.

. . . Since you are an owner at both, I wonder if you have an opinion of why Marbella gets higher ratings? We were at Marbella the first week, and actually liked Playa better, although we certainly would return
to either . . .

Well ratings are always very subjective, especially if one refers to how folks in public forums rate things. But even on the Marriott survey side, the metrics they use to create their surveys can also be affected by the owner demographic and which parts of those demographics take the time to respond -- it's especially true at these Euro Spain resorts where owner demographics vary widely as they are truely "international" ownership resorts.

As to the public perception side of things, Marbella is an early MVC Euro resort and from day one it had a "wow factor" which catches lots of folks' attention. It's the most recognized Spain MVC "brand" and is on the "to do" list of many MVC folks who plan a trade.No surprise that they love what they see during their Marbella visit as Marbella is without a doubt a "top tier" MVC resort. Then again, so too is Playa which is conceived and built from the Marbella template and those of us who own here instantly recognize this fact.

As to which is better, I always defer making a comment as both resorts are jewels. But I, like you and so many Playa owners, also affirm that we feel more strongly about Playa whilst acknowledging that Marbella is also a fantastic resort. I also encounter lots of folks who own at both resorts. As to where Playa rates within the Marriott surveys: it's consistently amongst the top rated and is in a neck-to-neck race within this elite group of resorts where the "winner" is seperated from the others by fractions of a percentage -- pretty frustrating stuff for the GMs and associates who come so close, but unfortunately get no award.

Our own solution to this paradigm was to own at both resorts which creates a convenient "excuse" to visit twice a year ( living near PHL makes travel to Spain shorter, direct, and less arduous than our flying to another paradise, Hawaii ). We don't want to visit Marbella in the Platinum season because the resort is packed at this time & you sense this at the pools and on the beach. One needs dinner reservations at the resort restaurant as the food, view, and ambiance are all in demand ( then again, the same applies to going to town to eat during this time ). That said, up the beach at Playa which is also full at this time, you just do not sense the people because they spread out more as a result of the different owner demographic. The resort is indeed full and you simply don't feel it. So only if you have visited both resorts do you realize their different personalities. Most folks who trade-in will be so busy enjoying Marbella that they'll be energized by the summer buzz as they love every minute because crowds or not, Marbella is a top tier resort experience -- and this is the beauty of these Spain resorts -- they please everyone. We ourselves visit Marbella in late September when the resort is still close to full, but not quite as hectic. We look forward to our week at Marbella followed by a week at Playa as they both fit like a cozy slipper.

I guess the bottomline remains go to the Costa del Sol resorts as you'll enjoy either one.

Barry

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used Carjet which is out of the UK for car rentals last summer. Great prices for the 2 weeks we were in Marbella and Andalucia.
Sue

davewasbaloo

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. We too love both of them. For different reasons. I think Marbella have more activities and refreshment options on offer, and I love the spa tubs in the units.

I think Playa has a better management team, feels more laid back, and has a prettier beach and views.

Both are winners. Actually all 4 European resorts are. I have only been to the 4 European and Newport Coast Resorts, it sounds like we might not like many of the US resorts as much from reading?