Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timeshare Resort Systems > Disney Vacation Club - DVC

Disney Vacation Club - DVC Sub-forum for topics specifically regarding the Disney Vacation Club system (DVC)

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old June 19, 2009, 02:42 PM   #1
madouglas3

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 8, 05

Resorts: DVC-SSR, Marriott Branson-Plat., Sheraton Broadway Plantation & Wyndham points.
RCI and DVC (1 in 5 rule)

I talked to my guide today to discuss an add-on and we also discussed RCI exchanges. She told me that DVC recently added a 1 in 5 rule for RCI exchangers. Has anyone else been told this by their guide.

Mary Ann
madouglas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2009, 03:48 PM   #2
bnoble
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Nov 14, 06
I just confirmed a 2BR BCV unit a day or two ago. No mention of a 1-in-N in the Urgent Information, just the regional block.

This was a DVC guide telling you this? While they are not as bad as some, remember that they are still selling timeshares. That doesn't mean she's fibbing to convince you that adding on would be more reliable than exchanging in, because it could just be not quite implemented yet. But...
bnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2009, 04:23 PM   #3
madouglas3

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 8, 05

Resorts: DVC-SSR, Marriott Branson-Plat., Sheraton Broadway Plantation & Wyndham points.
It was a DVC guide and she said the 1 in 5 rule was added to their contract with RCI a couple of weeks ago but if you just did your trade it appears my guide did not tell me the truth.
madouglas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2009, 04:46 PM   #4
bnoble
TUG Member

Well, you never know...it could just be not-quite-implemented yet. The rules of exchange are always changing.
Old June 19, 2009, 04:47 PM   #5
toontoy

BBS Reg. Date: Mar 31, 09

Resorts: HGV Las Vegas Hilton HGV Sea World
I just booked another one so I have one in August in June and were hoping for December, my family wants to go and we have extra weeks right now. But it doesnt seem to matter too much if they do that since they have many resorts and the one resort is bloked you can basicly resort hop from time to time, which makes me think they wouldn't do that for a bit since members going out have no DVC option outside disneyworld besides the Hilton island and vero, and i thought maybee california?
toontoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2009, 04:53 PM   #6
rickandcindy23

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Wyndham,RCI,Shell, WorldMark,OKW, SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Custom House;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP (lots)
I wonder if this will also apply to RCI Points reservations? If so, I hope they don't go back and take away my vacations. They could do that........., and they may, because it is RCI.

August: Hilton's Kohala Stes/ Kingsland
November:Disneyworld
December: Peacock Suites, Anaheim
January: Disneyworld
March: Maui
rickandcindy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2010, 08:17 AM   #7
MichaelColey

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 4, 10

Resorts: Summer Bay Orlando (3BR LO), Palace View Branson (4 Lockouts), Grandview (Points), CMV (UDI), DVC (SSR 25)
So did this turn out to be real, or was it just a timeshare salesman doing what they do best (lie)?
Old July 26, 2010, 09:26 AM   #8
rickandcindy23

TUG Member

Resorts: Wyndham,RCI,Shell, WorldMark,OKW, SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Custom House;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP (lots)
So far there have been no such rules added to the DVC information, and I haven't been blocked when I have tried to book something online with RCI Weeks. RCI Points doesn't have to abide by any 1-in-? rules, so I can stay at the Hiltons whenever I want with RCI Points. I hope they never change the rules with points. I can get around all of the weird RCI rules using points.

Another way to get around their rules is to use SFX or another exchange company.

Old July 27, 2010, 08:39 PM   #9
bnoble
TUG Member

Just smoke. I'm sitting in my 2BR at VWL with my family as I type, and have another 1BR at SSR booked for a solo trip next Feb/March.
Old July 27, 2010, 10:33 PM   #10
Merilyn
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 17, 09
As an owner of DVC, I can tell you that our guides don't always have the same info. I can call one and get one story and call again and get another. I think sometimes they just don't really know when they give you an answer instead of checking on it.
Merilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2010, 02:03 PM   #11
glypnirsgirl
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 7, 07
Wink Not Selling My Dvc Points Now!

I have never had my DVC guide tell me lies. It was shocking to me to find out that other timeshare salespeople do so.

At the same time, considering how easily I have been able to trade into DVC using both RCI points and weeks, it would make sense for them to exercise a 1/N rule. I was thrilled to be able to trade in. I had used up all of my DVC points through June 2010. So, with being able to trade in, I have points coming in to my account in December 2010 that I may be able to BANK for the first time in 15 years.

Plus, I have been able to trade into Boardwalk and Beach Club, both places that are too expensive DVC point-wise for me to book using my DVC points.

I have even considered selling my DVC points because it has been so easy to trade in - thanks to the TUG sightings board. I did not consider that they might change the RCI rules. The idea that they could change the rules will stop the idea of selling DVC COLD!

elaine
Old August 1, 2010, 10:12 PM   #12
Culli

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: May 26, 08

Resorts: Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort: Wyndham points - Glacier Canyon, Kingsgate & Pagosa Springs: Disney- Old Key
Quote:
Originally Posted by glypnirsgirl View Post
I have never had my DVC guide tell me lies. It was shocking to me to find out that other timeshare salespeople do so.

At the same time, considering how easily I have been able to trade into DVC using both RCI points and weeks, it would make sense for them to exercise a 1/N rule. I was thrilled to be able to trade in. I had used up all of my DVC points through June 2010. So, with being able to trade in, I have points coming in to my account in December 2010 that I may be able to BANK for the first time in 15 years.

Plus, I have been able to trade into Boardwalk and Beach Club, both places that are too expensive DVC point-wise for me to book using my DVC points.

I have even considered selling my DVC points because it has been so easy to trade in - thanks to the TUG sightings board. I did not consider that they might change the RCI rules. The idea that they could change the rules will stop the idea of selling DVC COLD!

elaine
Chasing DVC with anything but owning DVC is like hitting a moving target. I have been successful in II and RCI getting into DVC but it has been frustrating and I was also a little lucky. I also own DVC so I'm banking my DVC pts while I can and using a much cheaper way of getting into those resorts. I realize I probably have a limtied amount of time to take advantage of this opportunity before it gets shut off!
Culli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2010, 11:44 PM   #13
alwysonvac

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 11, 05

Resorts: Four Seasons (1 wk), non-elite Hilton (2 EY + 1 EOY), Disney, WorldMark, Stawood (1 EY + 1 EOY)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glypnirsgirl View Post

elaine
But you can easily buy back in if things change.

I sold most of my DVC points a long time ago. Now I only own 50 DVC points at SSR but I don't go to Disney more than once a year at most. Also having a DVC account gives me the option of transferring in additional points via a rental whenever the need arises.
alwysonvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2010, 02:29 PM   #14
SPG900NY

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 28, 09

Resorts: Attitash Mountain Village, Bartlett NH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culli View Post
Chasing DVC with anything but owning DVC is like hitting a moving target. I have been successful in II and RCI getting into DVC but it has been frustrating and I was also a little lucky.
Hi. Not to hijack the thread, but would you maybe be willing to post some of the tips you could offer for those of us in RCI looking to take our little ones on a Disney vacation? I see all kinds of paid offers for Disney through the RCI site, but never anything when I search using points. Maybe start another thread? I know there are other threads about details for people already reserving, but not really how to find what you want.

Recently, RCI offered four free nights when you bought three. Packages started at some ridiculously low rate and it looked like we might be able to get a week in a studio for like $1500. When I called, asking for "best available," they said $3500 -- in January. I was shocked. It was total bait-and-switch.

Thanks!

Last edited by SPG900NY; August 10, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
SPG900NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2010, 03:11 PM   #15
Culli

TUG Member

Resorts: Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort: Wyndham points - Glacier Canyon, Kingsgate & Pagosa Springs: Disney- Old Key
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG900NY View Post
Hi. Not to hijack the thread, but would you maybe be willing to post some of the tips you could offer for those of us in RCI looking to take our little ones on a Disney vacation? I see all kinds of paid offers for Disney through the RCI site, but never anything when I search using points. Maybe start another thread? I know there are other threads about details for people already reserving, but not really how to find what you want.

Recently, RCI offered four free nights when you bought three. Packages started at some ridiculously low rate and it looked like we might be able to get a week in a studio for like $1500. When I called, asking for "best available," they said $3500 -- in January. I was shocked. It was total bait-and-switch.

Thanks!

If you have RCI pts you should be able to find DVC no problem. You do have to look at the 9-10 months window to have success. I would rent from a DVC owner before I tried one of those packages.
Old August 10, 2010, 03:12 PM   #16
rickandcindy23

TUG Member

Quote:
I see all kinds of paid offers for Disney through the RCI site, but never anything when I search using points. Maybe start another thread? I know there are other threads about details for people already reserving, but not really how to find what you want.
What points are you using to search? Please give us more information, so we can help you take your little ones to Disneyworld.

Old August 11, 2010, 11:55 AM   #17
SPG900NY

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 28, 09

Resorts: Attitash Mountain Village, Bartlett NH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandcindy23 View Post
What points are you using to search? Please give us more information, so we can help you take your little ones to Disneyworld.
I'm an RCI member with about 80,000 points annually (three adjoining units, all lockoffs) and we use one or two of those, then bank the rest. We'd love to take our toddler to Disney next year. I've been looking all along, but I guess I'm not looking at the right times or in the right places? I had resigned to just renting from a DVC member as Culli suggested -- it looks like there are folks online who own just to rent and make it a business, and that might still be best as we like our home resort.

Right now, we'd like to plan for late October or early November 2011 (supposedly the slow season). A studio would be fine and we'd be looking for the Animal Kingdom. Thanks for any suggestions!
SPG900NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2010, 11:58 AM   #18
Culli

TUG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG900NY View Post
I'm an RCI member with about 80,000 points annually (three adjoining units, all lockoffs) and we use one or two of those, then bank the rest. We'd love to take our toddler to Disney next year. I've been looking all along, but I guess I'm not looking at the right times or in the right places? I had resigned to just renting from a DVC member as Culli suggested -- it looks like there are folks online who own just to rent and make it a business, and that might still be best as we like our home resort.

Right now, we'd like to plan for late October or early November 2011 (supposedly the slow season). A studio would be fine and we'd be looking for the Animal Kingdom. Thanks for any suggestions!
You should have no problem, look exactly at 10 months out, check every day and I'm almost certain you will find something. I'm not sure about AKV but I see lots of Boradwalk, Beach Club, Old Key West and Saratoga out there.
Old August 11, 2010, 12:31 PM   #19
vacationhopeful

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 11, 07

Resorts: Club Wyndham Plus; Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort; RCI Points; Shell Vacation Club
Last month, I got an AKV with RCI Points for Jan 2011 - a 1 bdr. Saw the models last year at the sales center along with BLT models.

There were other AKV units for April when I booked - Jan was just less points.

Did Jan 2010 for BWV, too. Went and looked at several of the other resorts - impressed with with some and not so with others. Good luck.

Be advised about STUDIOs of DVC: No dishes, no stove, no silverware. Some paper plates, microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker. Was there, did that to save points. Get the 1bdr with full KIT and washer/dryer!

Last edited by vacationhopeful; August 11, 2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: studio info
vacationhopeful is offline   Reply With Quote