• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resale Purchasers Beware of HGVC Overcharges for MFs

judgerey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick note to all who have purchased resales in the recent past, as did I. I bought a 4,800 pt package at Flamingo (through Judi K. -- she's the BEST!), and the seller paid the 2009 MFs prior to closing. My deal closed in May, and just this week I got a bill from HGVC for the 2009 MFs. I immediately emailed Judi (and Karina from Judi's office - who is also great) and she had HGVC correct the problem (Karina forwarded me an email from HGVC acknowledging the error). Judi told me that my email to her was the 4th she received that day complaining of similar problems. Don't know whether this is intentional by HGVC, but the billing date for the MFs was 8/1/09, which is quite odd since MFs are always billed in December/January. Maybe it was just a computer glitch or mere oversight. Either way, beware!

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did have the same problem back in june. I closed in April, and the seller paid the MF's during closing, and I still got the MF statement due on July 1st. I bought it through Seth.

I called the HGVC reps and they took care of it. Also prior to recieving that bill, I was told that I need to pay $95.00 Annual dues as well. But that time the closing company which I used had to come for rescue and they called HGVC and fixed the problem....

bobemac

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This happened to us when we purchased Sea World on resale back in 2000.
The seller had already paid the MF for the previous year.
This happened mid year May or June.
HGVC backed up quickly when shown proof.
I wonder if it was an honest mistake on their part!

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll be watching for it. Thanks for the heads up. I wonder when I will ever receive my account number / ability to access the account already. Hawaii purchases take a lot longer!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm guessing that HGVC's computers aren't programmed to transfer current-year MF's credits from the seller's account to the buyer's routinely, so when it "sees" an account that's unpaid, it produces a bill. Apparently, its something that must be done manually and they need a better checklist.

Last edited:

bosco0633

TUG Member
Reaction score
same thing happened to me last month. I was told when i called that it is normal as you appear on the computer system as a new member and they send out the billing automatically. once the new account is married up with the old one, they say that they fix it.

it took an hour for them to correct it.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
MF are 1 issue. But the $95 annual charge I thought had to be paid even if you were not getting your points until the next year.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
And I thought paid club dues ($95) were transferred with the membership. :shrug:

Last edited:

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
Same thing happened to me. Had to speak to the manager at Flamingo since HGVC headquarters couldn't help me.

I couldn't use the week until I got it fixed.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Same thing happened to me. Had to speak to the manager at Flamingo since HGVC headquarters couldn't help me.

Huh? Perhaps Flamingo mgmt knew who to call and interceded, but AFAIK, its HGVC hdqtrs who processes payments and determines which accounts are duly credited. IOW, nothing happens w/o admin saying it did.

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
Huh? Perhaps Flamingo mgmt knew who to call and interceded, but AFAIK, its HGVC hdqtrs who processes payments and determines which accounts are duly credited. IOW, nothing happens w/o admin saying it did.

The HGVC people said as far as they were concerned once the resort sent a bill, I had to pay it or the resort had to agree it was incorrect, or I couldn't use my unit.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The HGVC people said as far as they were concerned once the resort sent a bill, I had to pay it or the resort had to agree it was incorrect, or I couldn't use my unit.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but where "we" send our payments (except when paid online):
HOA Accounting, Hilton Grand Vacation, 6355 Metrowest Blvd STE 180, Orlando, Fl 32835-7606.
[I've been there BTW.]

So, I'd think they'd know better if they've been paid. Sounds more like someone either didn't understand your issue, was intentionally dense, or giving you a runaround.

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, I'd think they'd know better if they've been paid. Sounds more like someone either didn't understand your issue...

I think the problem is that you're not understanding that the OP's experience relates to the maintenance for the year in which they bought resale ONLY. My experience was exactly the same - as soon as I was the owner, Hilton billed me for amounts that already been paid by the prior owner.

Unless you're commenting on what happened in the year in which you bought resale, your experience paying regular annual maintence on units you already own isn't relevant to the point of this thread.

bosco0633

TUG Member
Reaction score
the 95.00 is not included in the resale fees. It is paid once your account is created. Everyone pays this about a month or so after your account is active.

Aptman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The same type thing happened to me when I bought my resale (ironically also a Flamingo 4800) a couple of years ago. My purchase was in Nov/Dec, so part of the negotiated price was me paying the MFs through the closing company. Damned if I didn't get a bill sometime in April or so anyways. Fortunately a phone call or two settled it, but it's so frustrating to get this large and unexpected bill in the mail you have to hop will be dealt with correctly by their customer service folk.