• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you found it necessary to play the 3 night, then add reservation game

jlee2070

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is in regards to reserving at HGVC on Oahu in August 2010 timeframe...

Wanted to check with users if you have found it necessary to play the game of reserving initially 3 Nights exactly at the 9 Month date and then add a day each morning finally getting 7 Nights??? Or just wait for the actual check out night falls into the 9 month range?

THX,
james

Rangerusa1111

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reply - The 3 night Game

I predict a number of individuals are going to tell you that you should play the 3 night reservation game to best guarantee success at getting the reservation you desire. Might be the safest bet.

On the other hand, we just got back from HHV last week on a reservation I was able to book in March. I was able to confirm 9 nights in a 1 BR Kalia Tower (Mountain View) and 6 nights in a Studio (Lagoon Tower) for my mother in law. FYI: (The studio was small and pretty simple) We were given a room on the 18th Floor of the Kalia Tower that had two large balconies or (Lanai) for the distinguished traveled folks who read these posts.

Best of luck:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
No, but then, I'm not anal about having confirmed reservations at the earliest possible moment and I'm willing to settle for second or third choices. I spent about a month looking for an ideal date in Cancun and was able to book my second choice about six months out.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Wanted to check with users if you have found it necessary to play the game of reserving initially 3 Nights exactly at the 9 Month date and then add a day each morning finally getting 7 Nights???

It is ridiculous to pay thousands of dollars to buy and hundreds of dollars for MFs then have to go through this to get the Week you want.

George

jestme

Reaction score
It is ridiculous to pay thousands of dollars to buy and hundreds of dollars for MFs then have to go through this to get the Week you want.

George

You are correct, it is better to book the room that you want, when you want, in a hotel room, at rack rate, and pay $250-300 / night rather than get a 1-3BR suite, (that would go for around $400-$700 / night at the same place) for $100-$140 / night (open season) if you owned a timeshare. Timeshare owners have to book really early to get exactly what they really want, but then again, they want large suites, that in most good hotels, are also extremely hard or impossible to book or don't exist.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

Perhaps, but no one promised you a rose garden... or did they?
We buy in to the implied promise that the world is our oyster for the asking.
All these units, just waiting there for someone like us to walk thru the door.
Reality bites.

Last edited:

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I've gone to Hawaii at least once, often twice, every year since 2003 on my Orlando points and have never played this game. But then I don't vacation in the summer; I prefer off season, which works best in my schedule anyway.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been an HGVC member for 10 years and this was not the original rule. You use to be able to make your reservation 9 months from the check-in date.

I don't mind playing the game to get my reservation. But the changes they've made over the years makes getting a reservation more and more difficult.

Last edited:

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
We have been in HGVC since 2001 and have not yet had to play that game. My biggest headaches with the club have been with the uncertainties associated with RCI. However, we usually get our 1st or second choice even with RCI.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
You use to be able to make your reservation 9 months from the check-in date..

I don't like the new rule based on check-out date vs check-in date but I'm assuming they did this to give everyone a fair chance. Under the old rule, an HGVC owner with lots of points could reserve several weeks/months with a single reservation. The new Club reservation rule based on check-out date, gives everyone equal access to available weeks.

I guess I don't mind playing the game at a high demand / limited availability area during peak season rather than get locked out by owners that have more points under the old check-in date rule.

Last edited:

bobemac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some units are tougher to reserve than others.
We wanted a week at the Windjammer Landing Villa and Beach Resort
on St. Lucia in season, through RCI.
We wound up with a three night and a four night. The RCI folks called
the Resort to have the extra cleaning fee waived, and the Resort management allowed us to consolidate into one outstanding unit.
Trying to select the Kalia Tower studio in December was tough.
I had to call daily at the nine month window to get the seven nights.
The units are nice, and the points are really low.

hvacrsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Wanted to check with users if you have found it necessary to play the game of reserving initially 3 Nights exactly at the 9 Month date and then add a day each morning finally getting 7 Nights??? Or just wait for the actual check out night falls into the 9 month range?

THX,
james

I don't and I never will!
If I had to do that, It would not work!
I purchased NY Club because thats where we like to go!
I am not going to fight over another place!
So far, it has not been an issue!