• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A Warning to Renters!

BoredinVT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm posting this to warn other members trying to rent out their t/s. Beware of David Beck of Boston Virginia. He looks for 'very last minute' rentals, then stiffs you with a bad check. By the time you find out, it's too late to do anything about it. When confronted, he comes up with a variety of excuses, and promises to make good, but it's all lies and he never does make good.. BEWARE, David Beck of Boston Va. is a First Class DEADBEAT!!! Kevin J.:mad:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Thanks for the warning. People who write bad checks should be put in jail, but the jails are too full. Why can't you just have these creeps arrested?

Rick was the treasurer for a high school band program the entire time the kids were in high school. He managed over $1 Million per year, coming in and going out for uniforms, trips, food, etc. Our band boosters managed Bingo four sessions per week and had many dozens of bad checks we could never collect. The police wouldn't help us. It was the most frustrating thing! It's one crime that really has a victim.

I hope this guy wasn't a TUG member. We know that one TUG member rented a week from someone and did major damage to the unit. The management company called the owner directly.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That's why I only accept payment via Paypal.

Was your Ad posted here on TUG?

Was it his personal check that bounced?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You could always sell the bad debt to a collection agency. Though you probably don't rent at a high enough volume to make it worth their while.

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
A good punishment for this guy would involve a pillowcase and a bar of Ivory Soap....now what one does with those two items is their business. :D

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You sould file a police report for the bad check.

Indeed. In Florida, an amount over $300 is a felony, less is a misdemeanor.
In many states, the local prosecutor's office has a "worthless check" division that routinely sends out a demand letters, failing which criminal charges are filed. When hauled into court, these "WC" offenders are often given a choice: (A) pay up B4 your next court date, or (B) go on probation with an order to pay restitution, a fine, court costs and supervision fees.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
given the info above, there are no TUG members that match the name and address.

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score

For those people who use Paypal. How do you get around the Seller Protection exclusion that says the item must be a physical, tangible good that can be posted? I'm pretty sure that renting a timeshare comes under "intangible item and service".

This is from the user agreement:

11.7 What are examples of items/transactions that are not eligible for seller protection?

Claims or Chargebacks for Significantly Not as Described.
Items that you deliver in person.
Intangible items, licenses for digital content, and services.
Payments through PayPal Direct Payment or Virtual Terminal.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
For those people who use Paypal. How do you get around the Seller Protection exclusion that says the item must be a physical, tangible good that can be posted? I'm pretty sure that renting a timeshare comes under "intangible item and service".

This is from the user agreement:

I send the renter a hard copy of a confirmation in their name - that is tangible. ;)

Last edited:

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I send the renter a hard copy of a confirmation in their name - that is tangible.

Thanks Denise. The reason I am asking is because I was trying to purchase a timeshare from eBay and wanted to use the escrow service. I was told that it is a non-tangible item an not eligible. I argued that the paperwork is a physical item but they would not agree. Have you ever tested the seller protection service (ie has a renter tried to make a claim-back on their paypal)?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Denise. The reason I am asking is because I was trying to purchase a timeshare from eBay and wanted to use the escrow service. I was told that it is a non-tangible item an not eligible. I argued that the paperwork is a physical item but they would not agree. Have you ever tested the seller protection service (ie has a renter tried to make a claim-back on their paypal)?

Nope! And to avoid that, I transfer the payment out of my Paypal Acct. as soon as it's made.

I haven't had to actually discuss any issues with Paypal, but haven't had any problems so far... (Don't Ask - Don't Tell!) :D

Last edited:

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope! And to avoid that, I transfer the payment out of my Paypal Acct. as soon as it's made.

I haven't had to discuss any issues with Paypal, but haven't had any problems so far...

Unfortunately I have. A buyer claimed "unauthorised paypal transaction" on a on-line game DS sold to him. Paypal put the funds on hold even though I had transferred them to my bank account as soon as payment was made. Took ages to sort. I'm a bit dubious about using paypal seller protection now. I hope you send the paperwork using registered mail. :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paypal put the funds on hold even though I had transferred them to my bank account as soon as payment was made.

So, the blocked the transfer of the funds to your bank Acct., or exactly how does that work?

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was a while ago but I do remember that they blocked the transfer to my bank account. It was a real pain because we couldn't prove the sale (according to their rules) and they eventually paid the money back to the scammer out of my bank account not the paypal account. There was not enough money in my bank account so I got charged a $15 insufficient funds fee by my bank. I was cross with paypal because I felt they should have just returned the "blocked funds" in the paypal account and not used my bank account.

Last edited:

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wont use Paypal for any timeshare rental due to potential chargeback problems. Even if you transfer the funds out before a chargeback is processed, legally you would owe Paypal the money if a chargeback occurs. Paypal may also have the ability to debit the linked bank account for a chargeback.

I only take personal checks drawn on US banks,bank checks or money orders and only money orders/bank checks for last minute rentals. This keeps potential problems to a minimum.

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paypal may also have the ability to debit the linked bank account for a chargeback.

I'm sure they do because they removed the money from my linked bank account not the paypal account. I did authorise the return of the money because I was unable to prove that the item was purchased (registered post not used).

Last edited:

BoredinVT

TUG Member
Reaction score

Was your Ad posted here on TUG?

Was it his personal check that bounced?

I rented it via Redweek, and it was a personal check that bounced.The rental was only for two nights, so we're not talking about alot of money. I posted this just to warn other owners about David Beck of Boston Virginia. BTW, I ran a check on this guy, and he's a real person..:annoyed: Kevin J.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I rented it via Redweek, and it was a personal check that bounced.The rental was only for two nights, so we're not talking about alot of money. I posted this just to warn other owners about David Beck of Boston Virginia. BTW, I ran a check on this guy, and he's a real person..:annoyed: Kevin J.

And he actually stayed in the unit? What nerve.

BoredinVT

TUG Member
Reaction score
And he actually stayed in the unit? What nerve.

Yeah, and in my final email to Mr. David Beck of Boston Va., I told him that I hoped he and his family enjoyed their FREE weekend getaway..:whoopie: Kevin J.

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tell Redweek about it

If you used redweek.com to rent your week and you got a bum check, perhaps Redweek would like to know. After all, this bad check writer has to be a member - right? With all the 'complaining' we do about people who want to rent having to pay a fee and be members of redweek also, this is one time when it actually may do something positive.

So tell Redweek about this 'experience'. Maybe, at least, they will ban the guy from using their services.

Maybe Redweek will do nothing. But maybe they will. Don't tell them you expect Redweek to make you whole - but that you'd like to let Redweek know about one of their members not paying for time rented.

Case in point: I know a guy who is an owner of a vacation rental property. To make a long story short (for me anyway), since he didn't have any sort of refund policy written down (not necessarily posted on the website) VRBO kicked him off when a renter complained to them that he wouldn't refund their money. The renters had changed their mind close to the check-in date and he hadn't told them they would lose their money if that happened. So VRBO told him to give back the money (since he hadn't notified them of his 'no refund' policy). When he said he wouldn't - they shut down his ad. I think he ended up refunding just to get back on VRBO - but I think he's still negotiating with them about that (but he loses his priority status if he does). I have to give credit to VRBO for watching out for renters. It lends confidence to renters to rent off the site. The owner I'm talking about is a good guy so he wasn't trying to rip anyone off. It was just 'unfortunate' circumstances that has forced him to make an official refund policy (note to timeshare owners who rent - have a refund policy and let the renters know what it is).

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id certainly cancel any TUG membership I found scamming someone in either regard if said party didnt make it right.

oregonguy

Reaction score
You sould file a police report for the bad check.

Good luck with that. Not timeshare related, but I had a customer in Alabama write me a bad check. I spoke to the DA on the phone - I could file a police report, but it required me to go there in person. Since it was a $100 check, traveling from Oregon to Alabama wasn't really an option.