• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI 5 year guest certificate

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I found out something new today. RCI sells a 5 year guest certificate for $149. It is good for any number of exchanges and/or EV during that time period as long as it is used by the same guest. So for those of us with adult children who often use our weeks, this is a good alternative to the $59 per use GC. It is also a good alternative to a seperate RCI account.

It is amazing what you can learn when you speak to a knowledgable guide. I picked her brain about several things.

geekette

Reaction score
This has been around for a while.

Given that it's not gotten easier to get friends and family the weeks they want, I'm glad I passed on it when it first came out. If they have to pay $$$$$ for an EV because I can't find an acceptable exchange, the extra GC $ isn't going to matter.

They can go elsewhere on the net to find same thing cheaper. I'm glad I didn't go this route.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Here is an old thread about it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Thanks for the reminder on that. I had forgotten completely about it. My sister is going to use two weeks this year alone, so perhaps this is something I should consider.

Our kids are all on our RCI Points account, and because the Points and weeks account are together, I always insist on adding their names FREE, and so far, no one has balked at it.

JackieD

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack--How do you add a name to a weeks account? Is it as 'easy' as a phone call or complicated? I want to add my Dad to my RCI account. If they go on trips with us, they usually arrive a day before we do to stay in the same unit.

Thanks!

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you need a guest certificate? Can't you call the resort directly when you give a week to close family or friends and see if they really require one?
After all, who really benefits from this gift certificate?

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you need a guest certificate? Can't you call the resort directly when you give a week to close family or friends and see if they really require one?
After all, who really benefits from this gift certificate?
It depends on the resort. I don't think I've ever had a unit that I couldn't get the friend/family listed without a guest certificate.

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean - are saying that you have never needed to get a guest certificate or that you always needed to get one?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean - are saying that you have never needed to get a guest certificate or that you always needed to get one?
I'm never gotten one when I didn't want one. Sometimes you don't trust the people enough to take the chance. I call the resort or system and add the names, never had an issue. Only once has anyone said no, I called back later and successfully added the names without incident. I'm sure it'll happen sometime and realize they have the right to require it.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you personally know and trust the people, by all means call the resort directly and ask if it's a requirement on their part. I would definitely not get GCs when I'm there with them in another unit, and some time back an exchange guide agreed with me when I raised the question.