Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timesharing > Buying, Selling, Renting

Buying, Selling, Renting Discuss all aspects of buying, selling and renting timeshares here. No advertising allowed!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old January 23, 2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Catira
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 29, 08
biennial odd week?

Hi.. any disadvantages to purchasing a biennial week? I am looking at a week that we would be able to use in 2011.
Old January 23, 2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Stefa
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catira View Post
Hi.. any disadvantages to purchasing a biennial week? I am looking at a week that we would be able to use in 2011.
We own one biennial timeshare and this is the perfect situation for us.

Just make sure there are no extra fees for a biennial ownership. For example, Starwood charges a $20/year fee for biennial contracts plus the $109 SVN fee (if applicable) is due every year.
Stefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2010, 11:26 AM   #3
pkfox
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 28, 09

Resorts: Mayan Palace 2wks, Pono Kai 7wks, Scottsdale Villa Mirage, SDO, Global vacation Network 4stars, Sands of Kahana, RCI Pts
closing costs

Most of the fixed costs such as closingcosts,deed prep,deed registration and resort fees will be the same where it is anual or every other year. If you can use the other years for trade or rent out you may want to look at an every year purchse. These days purchase price will not be much different.

Nov: PV
Jan: Pono Kai
Feb: Orlando
pkfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2010, 04:20 PM   #4
chriskre

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Nov 14, 06

Resorts: Enchanted Isle, DVC, RCI Pts, Wyndham Pts, HGVC, CMV UDI
I own 4 annuals and 2 biennials and a triennial.

If I had it to do over again, I would have only purchased 2 annuals, the ones that I always use and the rest would be biennials and triennials.

I find that for me I want to own more than one TS system so since one size doesn't fit all to keep fees down I find the biennial and triennials a much better deal for me.

What system are you thinking of purchasing?
chriskre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2010, 06:18 PM   #5
thinze3

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 5, 07
For resorts in locations with high maintenence fees, like Hawaii, the biennial is a great option. We own a biennial Hawaii resort for odd years only and do not plan on going more than once every two years. It has worked out well thus far.

My Web Page
thinze3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2010, 06:21 PM   #6
falmouth3

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05
The only negative that I see is that you will still have the full load fees for closing. So if you were to buy 2 biennials, you'd have 2 closing costs. That said, I do own a biennial.

Sue
falmouth3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2010, 07:01 PM   #7
erm
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 30, 05
If you buy a lockoff you could get a vacation every year for half the maintenance fee ( plus any fees).
erm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2010, 08:27 PM   #8
Patri

TUG Member

Biennial is also good if you don't have as much time to travel as you dream of. I own one biennial and one annual, and can't handle more trips than that. I would even be happy with two biennials. The closing cost is minimal, especially if you use some companies recommended on TUG
Old January 23, 2010, 09:29 PM   #9
Catira
TUG Member

Great advice

I was hoping for an annual timeshare, but thus far the RCI resort I am looking at is biennial. It is a lockoff unit so that may be an advantage to be had. Thus far I own a small 44100 RCI points acct. $740 MF, which I now realize is a bit more than I want to pay for the amount of points. This is probably one that I will once again try to sell. The other timeshare is wyndham, which I like the fact that we have been lucky to book within 30 days..just got to be patient and persistent.

It's hard to buy another timeshare ... hoping to get a great bargain on Ebay to trade into the great resorts. Its a russian roulette when you make a purchase sometimes not knowing how well it will trade.

But thanks to TUG everyday I learn something new and hope to get as much value from my timeshares.
Old January 23, 2010, 09:57 PM   #10
falmouth3

TUG Member

It's hard to believe that the only weeks at that resort are biennial. Just keep waiting and I'm sure what you want will show up.
Old January 24, 2010, 09:43 AM   #11
Catira
TUG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falmouth3 View Post
It's hard to believe that the only weeks at that resort are biennial. Just keep waiting and I'm sure what you want will show up.
No, I need to clarify. The resort I am seraching for on EBAY, thus far has only shown up with biennial weeks. There have been a few annual weeks, but they are not during red season.
Old January 24, 2010, 12:43 PM   #12
falmouth3

TUG Member

Same advice. If you really want an annual, one will show up eventually, I'm sure. Just be patient.
Old February 28, 2010, 09:45 AM   #13
TooManyIDs
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 17, 10

Resorts: Grand Timber Lodge x 3, Breckenridge
Even though you would pay the same closing costs on an annual unit, they are one time charges. Ongoing maintenance fees are reduced for a biennial.

If you only want to use the timeshare every other year, why bother with the headache of trying to rent it or get an equivalent trade (looking at my first timeshare, so interested in answers to that question) ?

I'm also assuming that special assessments are reduced for biennial owners?

Based on posts here, current market doesn't assign any "equity" to ownership and the value of a timeshare is defined as the savings between renting an equivalent unit and the maintenance fees you have to pay.

Again, new here, so very interested in posts from the experienced owners.
TooManyIDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2010, 11:27 AM   #14
yumdrey

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 30, 08
If you want an "annual" ownership, be patient and wait. I would not buy two biennial weeks to make it annual, because you will pay two closing costs, and total MF of two biennial can be more expensive than one annual ownership. Also, when you decide to sell them later in any case, selling one contract is easier than selling two contracts.
I do own 3 biennial weeks, because I prefer biennial ownership for them. I use 2 of them myself and it's far from my home, so I cannot visit there every year. By owning biennial week, I don't have to worry about rent every other year and I pay MF only when I use them. My Marriott week is biennial and it is lock-off room which means I can have two weeks of exchange through II, and it fits my need. I already have other annual II exchangers, so I wanted biennial Marriott exchanger for Marriott priority.
For some owners, biennial weeks make sense, but if you want annual, try to buy annual.
yumdrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2010, 11:52 AM   #15
BMWguynw

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 1, 06

Resorts: Kauai Beach Villas
Catira, biennial ownership works great for me. I own a biennial even year in Hawaii, and a biennial odd year on the Oregon Coast. My third timeshare is an annual mini-system that has resorts in Hawaii, Oregon, and elsewhere.

I can alternate vacations, and spend two weeks every two years in Hawaii, or two opposite weeks on the Oregon Coast. And anytime I don't want to do that, they all exchange well for other areas. It's pretty cool.

As others have said, wait for what you want. There is no reason to rush. Check the TUG marketplace, too. There are frequently killer deals there.

Good luck!

Dave
Old February 28, 2010, 12:13 PM   #16
theduffster
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 7, 08

Resorts: The Crafts Inn, Wilmington, VT and Mountainside Resort, Stowe, VT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patri View Post
Biennial is also good if you don't have as much time to travel as you dream of. I own one biennial and one annual, and can't handle more trips than that. I would even be happy with two biennials. The closing cost is minimal, especially if you use some companies recommended on TUG

Same for us! This means we'll have one week to travel one year, and the next year 2 weeks. That's plenty for us for now.
theduffster is offline   Reply With Quote