• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta beaches

homer239

Reaction score
I'd love some insight from the insightful TUG users on the Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta beaches:

- How are waves?
- Any boogie boarding?
- Can you run/jog on the beach?
- Any vendors? Are they respectful?
- Do they offer beachside massages? Are they good? What cost?

Anything else to know?

Thanks so much

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
  • The beach is great for walking. It seems to go forever.
  • Our grandson liked using his boogie board.
  • I can't remember how the waves are - I just walk on the edge and do not go into the ocean.
  • The vendors are respectful. The resort is not near other resorts and the beach vendors have to be approved by the MP/GM. They do not approve other massage folks.
  • They do have a spa that does great massages. They have a place near the pool and a palapa on the beach in addition to the private rooms in the spa. I think the cost was about $100 for 50 minutes. They had a 2-4-1 special when we were there in November 2008.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The bay water in front of the Mayan properties are very pebbled and swim shoes make it easier to get in and out of the bay. There is just one breaker to play in and if your not carefull the wave will plow you into the pebbles. When climbing out of the bay the wave can suck you down or pull your clothing off. Sometime the wave is big and sometimes its small. Either way the pebbles are there. Also, because the marina is so close to the Mayan properties there is the strong posibilitiy that sewage and other nasty waste could infect a cut caused by the pebbles when swiming in the bay. I wear sandals and tighten my drawstring on my swim suite to be safe. I have lost and found my shorts in the wave and my wife and her friends have been topped pull down.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The beach at Grand Mayan - Nuevo Vallarta is very good for swimming. When we were there in mid-April, the waves were great for body surfing which I did every day. You can walk a long way along the beach. There were very few beach vendors and they were not aggressive at all.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The bay water in front of the Mayan properties are very pebbled and swim shoes make it easier to get in and out of the bay. There is just one breaker to play in and if your not carefull the wave will plow you into the pebbles. When climbing out of the bay the wave can suck you down or pull your clothing off. Sometime the wave is big and sometimes its small. Either way the pebbles are there. Also, because the marina is so close to the Mayan properties there is the strong posibilitiy that sewage and other nasty waste could infect a cut caused by the pebbles when swiming in the bay. I wear sandals and tighten my drawstring on my swim suite to be safe. I have lost and found my shorts in the wave and my wife and her friends have been topped pull down.

I'll briefly summarized what I've posted before. As background, I spent about ten years my life doing sanitary reviews of water bodies for the California public health.

I personally would not do any water contact activities in almost any beach area around the Bay of Banderas, with the possible exception of a few of the isolated beaches on the south shore. I especially would not venture into the water anywhere south of the mouth of Rio Ameca, which is the river that enters Bahia de Banderas just north of the airport (and immediately south of the Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta).

As a general rule, people who have been swimming and recreating in even the cleanest natural waters will show elevated levels of infections after the activity - this includes eye, ear, nose, throat, and gastrointestinal illnesses. As the water quality is compromised, these conditions get even worse.

That does not mean that I don't swim at beaches. You make tradeoffs, balancing risks and pleasure. I love to snorkel in Hawai'i, for example.

But it does mean that I grow increasingly wary as I observe and am aware of greater compromises in water quality. And there are sufficient marginal conditions throughout the Bahia de Banderas area to cause me to say the risks aren't worth it for me.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
That beach looks great for my morning walk. Thanks for posting it.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

It sounds like you are talking about Puerto Vallarta, not Nuevo Vallarta. The beaches at Puerto Vallarta are very poor. Nuevo Vallarta is a different story.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It sounds like you are talking about Puerto Vallarta, not Nuevo Vallarta. The beaches at Puerto Vallarta are very poor. Nuevo Vallarta is a different story.

The beach is great in Nuevo Vallarta. Its that one breaking wave and the pebbles under it that make me cautious. The bay seems more rocky or pebbled near the Mayan properties than farter north like in Bucerias. That current created when the wave receeds is all around the bay and has the power to pull a person down when your trying to get out if your caught off gaurd.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The beach is great in Nuevo Vallarta. Its that one breaking wave and the pebbles under it that make me cautious. The bay seems more rocky or pebbled near the Mayan properties than farter north like in Bucerias. That current created when the wave receeds is all around the bay and has the power to pull a person down when your trying to get out if your caught off gaurd.

There were no rocks nor pebbles on the beach nor in the water in front of the Grand Mayan - NV when I was there. I wouldn't have been able to body surf if there were any rocks or pebbles. There may have been in front of the Mayan Palace as it is a little farther south than the Grand Mayan.

curtbrown

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen reports on other GM user websites that the recent storms in the last month or so have washed some of the sand off of the Mayan beaches and there is damage to the walkway and the vendor stores in front of the NV Mayan Palace pool.

As far as waves, it really depends on the time of year and the weather. It can get pretty rough sometimes. And if you have small kids, I'd recommend the two large wave pools instead of the ocean. They're easier on the feet and there aren't any rogue waves to hit you unexpectedly.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
We just got back from Nuevo. Beaches were fine for walking with no evidence of damage; we saw no one in water - waves were large with strong breaks.

We had two rain days - unusual for February .

We had a great time as always.

Mike

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There were no rocks nor pebbles on the beach nor in the water in front of the Grand Mayan - NV when I was there. I wouldn't have been able to body surf if there were any rocks or pebbles. There may have been in front of the Mayan Palace as it is a little farther south than the Grand Mayan.

The above picture is the beach in front of the Mayan properties at low tide. What are those roundish pebbley looking objects in the wet sand. They are not coconuts.:p

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The above picture is the beach in front of the Mayan properties at low tide. What are those roundish pebbley looking objects in the wet sand. They are not coconuts.:p

I am NOT talking about the beach in front of the Mayan Palace. I am only talking about the one in front of the Grand Mayan which is north of there. I made that quite clear in my previous post. In any event, there were no pebbles nor rocks when we were there. If there are now then so be it.

Last edited:

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Near Havana Moon and the models of the Bliss and Luxxe there was damage from the storm of Jan 15. A rest room came off of its footing and there was a 3-6 foot drop in the sand.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Near Havana Moon and the models of the Bliss and Luxxe there was damage from the storm of Jan 15. A rest room came off of its footing and there was a 3-6 foot drop in the sand.

Karen,

Where are the models of the Bliss and Luxxe in relation to the Grand Mayan? We were there for 2 weeks at the Grand Mayan during Easter week and the week after in April 2006. This was long before the Bliss and Luxxe.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
The whole complex was very confusing to me, but the new buildings that are under construction are to the left of the grand Mayan buildings, facing the beach. I have been told, and I think I understand correctly, that they are taking down some? of the Mayan Palace buildings. There are only 9 holes of golf; we were told you have to do the 9 holes twice if you want a full round.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Karen,

Where are the models of the Bliss and Luxxe in relation to the Grand Mayan? We were there for 2 weeks at the Grand Mayan during Easter week and the week after in April 2006. This was long before the Bliss and Luxxe.

John - the 4 models are near the paved beachwalk - behind the area with the wave pools. The Bliss & Grand Bliss models are closest to the restaurant that the sales guys take you to for the breakfast and the Luxxe & Grand Luxxe Villa models are on the north side of the Bliss & Grand Bliss models.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
John - the 4 models are near the paved beachwalk - behind the area with the wave pools. The Bliss & Grand Bliss models are closest to the restaurant that the sales guys take you to for the breakfast and the Luxxe & Grand Luxxe Villa models are on the north side of the Bliss & Grand Bliss models.

I don't know which restaurant the sales guy use because we don't do sales presentations and I don't remember seeing any sales people. I also don't remenber the paved beachwalk. Here are a couple pictures I took from our balcony at the Grand Mayan. Can you orient the location to my pictures?

Views from our balcony at the Grand Mayan - Nuevo Vallarta

GMNuevoVallarta.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg