• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flamingo Pool Access Restricted

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sitting in my unit at HGVC Flamingo as I type this. Last week, the Flamingo Hotel extended their pool fencing to block off a couple of the access points between HGVC and the big Flamingo pool. According to the desk clerk at HGVC, he was off duty last Monday and Tuesday (2/8 & 2/9), and when he returned a new fence was extended across a couple of the paths. Right now, the only path open is the one that would be directly off the main rear entrance to HGVC. And of course, that rear entrance doesn't go directly back to the pool. There's a patio there, so you have to go around to one side or the other (by the HGVC pool or by the convenience store) and then backtrack to the center.

Also, the Flamingo Hotel is working on other pool access areas. Right now, the main hotel access to the pool, right outside the valet entrance to the hotel, is torn up. I awoke this AM to the sound of jackhammers breaking up that area.

The HGVC clerk says that HGVC's management is looking into what they can do about the reduced access. They probably have their lawyers pouring over the legal docs now. However, since there's still one access point, I would guess that the Flamingo would argue that they're meeting their legal obligations.

-Bob

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
"What a pisser!" (Airplane, 1980)

TavandKelly

Reaction score
Wow, that's good to know. Was really debating between which LV resort to bid on, and if there is going to be drama about going to the Flamingo pool, I may want to wait and see.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No drama at all. You can still get through the Flamingo pool area. It's just slightly less convenient, is all.

Here's my guess about what they're trying to accomplish. It's been true for quite a while that there are employees at the hotel entrance to the pool, checking for room keys. You need either a Flamingo hotel or HGVC room key to gain access to the pool. This is to keep out locals and guests of other hotels, in order to keep the crowds by the pool manageable.

However, in the past, if you knew your way around, you could always go through HGVC and gain access to the Flamingo pool via one of the unchecked entrances from HGVC to the Flamingo pool. My guess, and it's only that, is that they want to limit this access to a single point, and that they'll now put employees at that entrance too, to make sure that only authorized guests of Flamingo or HGVC can get pool access.

That's my speculation, anyway. I don't anticipate any "drama", but I do anticipate that you'll have to show your HGVC room key card.

-Bob

greenwr

Reaction score
Bob,

Is the pool open right now or is it a matter of convenience.

We are staying at the HGVC Flamingo in two weeks.

WRG

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were there over Valentine's weekend, the Flamingo pool was technically open, at least until they started renovating the entrance. The HGVC pool was being cleaned or renovated, but opened that Monday.

But you'd have to be either crazy or a polar bear to want to go in the water. It's winter! Granted, the highs are mostly in the 60's, but who would want to get wet at that temperature?

There was nobody in the pools. Not even kids.

-Bob

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were there over Valentine's weekend, the Flamingo pool was technically open, at least until they started renovating the entrance. The HGVC pool was being cleaned or renovated, but opened that Monday.

But you'd have to be either crazy or a polar bear to want to go in the water. It's winter! Granted, the highs are mostly in the 60's, but who would want to get wet at that temperature?

There was nobody in the pools. Not even kids.

-Bob

Many many people incorrectly assume that because Las Vegas is in a desert, it is hot all the time. So they think that it's always pool weather, which as you and I and a lot of others know, but still lots of folks don't realize that Vegas can get cold in the winter.

Of course people can swim in the winter, but as Fern will tell you, ya gotta be a freakin' seal to do so! :eek: :D

kschauberger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at this resort many times and have always found it quite convenient to walk through the pool area to get to the Flamingo. In all the times I have ever been to the Flamingo the pool area has been closed due to weather even in May. It seems that the Flamingo pool is open about 5 months of the year. The HGVC pool is open year round, but not as impressive. I was there in June one year and it was so hot that there were few people out in the pool area. The water slides were shut down. I guess I always choose the wrong weeks to go there. If they indeed put a huge fence around the pool allowing restricted access, this would destroy the beauty of the garden in the back by looking at another fence. It always was convenient to walk through the pool to get to the Monorail station, and the strip. I hope we don't lose this ease of access, and this fence is not the start of no access to the pool area. If we don't get any access this would really suck as our rooms look out onto this area. It would be like tempting someone with a luxury they have to look at other people enjoy but you can't enjoy. I am staying there next month and will post updates when I get there.