• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Driving from Miami to Key West -- How long will it take?

elimay

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are driving from Miami to Key West on 8/29/10. I heard it may take up to 4 hours!! :eek:

How long did it take for you to get there?

brankatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is approx. 120 miles once you enter the keys to key west depends on how fast you drive traffic. Bathroom Break's many variables but I think 4 Hours is worst case scenario

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's about right. The highway system there in Miami is full of traffic and stop lights. I made the trek a year ago from Pompano beach and decided to simply enjoy the experience. Once you are out of Miami it gets to be a nice interesting drive.

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Drive it during daylight hours and enjoy the scenery.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Depends on day of week and time of day. Friday, Saturday would be worse, I expect.

night0wl

TUG Member
Reaction score
May be shorter than 4 hours if from Miami you take 836 West (Toll) to the Turnpike South (Toll) to Homestead...and then US-1 all the way to Key West.

From downtown Miami to Homestead on US-1 once you get out of Coral Gables is a mind numbing depressing drive through strip mall hell

silverfox82

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are leaving from the airport (rental car area) find 836 west, go to the turnpike south and continue on us1 to key west. Without traffic it should take a bit over 3 hours without stops but by all means allow some time to see the sights. A few short blocks after the turnpike ends and you are on us1 you can take a left on card sound road (toll) which is a bit more senic and just before the toll booth is Alabama Jacks, cold beer and a real nice fish sandwich, it will set the mood for your trip. After that you will have a bazillion places to stop, or not, before key west. Once south of key largo you will see water pretty much all the way, its a wonderful sight. Enjoy

JonathanIT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually did this drive for a day trip a couple years ago. I left about 8a (I was staying at the HGVC South Beach) and got to Key West in time for lunch. I explored the town a little and headed back to Miami in the evening. I stopped for dinner on the way back. I got back to South Beach about 9 or 10p. It was a long day but it was a great way to spend the day. I really enjoyed the drive, but then again I love to drive (and I rented a convertible for the trip :) ). I'd love to return to Key West and spend some time there.

Last edited:

Mel7706

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the USA's most scenic drives

Route one in the Keys(Overseas Highway) is the basic route of Henry Flagler's overseas railway built in the early 1900's. Fantastic story about the building and decline of the railroad. Don't concentrate on speed. Just enjoy the vistas.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Don't concentrate on speed. Just enjoy the vistas.

Seriously. The journey is as important as the destination. So, slow down.
Stop at John Pennekamp State Park and take a tour boat to the reef or just walk the nature trail. Pick up a T-shirt at the 7-Mile Bridge bar. Along the way, you'll see relics of old rusty bridges built over Hentry Flagler's old RR route. At Bahia Honda, go for a swim at one the best beaches in the State (best in the Keys).

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
When travelling the Keys all the way to Key West, the best thing is to take your time and see as much as possible. Chances are, you won't take the time on your way out. If you get from Miami to Key West in 4 hours, you're doing it wrong. My friends and I now rate the trip by how LONG it took us.

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
All I can say is it's a beautiful drive. But, the most important thing to remember is, watch the speed limits. Police will give you a ticket in a heartbeat. That is where they get most of thier operating revenue.

mishpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
so ture

All I can say is it's a beautiful drive. But, the most important thing to remember is, watch the speed limits. Police will give you a ticket in a heartbeat. That is where they get most of thier operating revenue.

We drove from Ft Lauderdale to Key West less than two months ago. It did take about four hours BUT the final hour was driving hell. I saw a trooper turn and start following me. Just the two of us(and my family) for about thirty miles. No other cars on the road. And the speed limit drops from 55 50 45 to 35. You try to drive 35 for half an hour with a cop on your tail !! Very stressful to say the least. When we finally arrived at the Westin, I truly needed-and deserved-a vacation. Other than that, we loved Key West and hope to return next year-by flying straight in.

Neesie

TUG Member
Reaction score
When travelling the Keys all the way to Key West, the best thing is to take your time and see as much as possible. Chances are, you won't take the time on your way out. If you get from Miami to Key West in 4 hours, you're doing it wrong. My friends and I now rate the trip by how LONG it took us.

Remember, half the fun is getting there! There is a gorgeous beach along the way called Sombrero Beach, nice place to get out and stretch your legs. And google "Key Deer" I believe the island they are on is Big Pine Island. Yes, do the drive during daylight hours and leave enough time for a few stops along the way.;)

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We drove from Ft Lauderdale to Key West less than two months ago. It did take about four hours BUT the final hour was driving hell. I saw a trooper turn and start following me. Just the two of us(and my family) for about thirty miles. No other cars on the road...

At some point, I would have said, "Screw this!" and pulled over to let the trooper pass by, or pulled into a restaurant/bar/tackle shop for a few minutes. The trooper was prob'ly on his way home or back to base, and would have been just as happy to have you out from in front of him. All it takes is a little imagination, instead of acting like a deer caught in the headlights.

Last edited:

Neesie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just noticed the date you are going; you are aware it is hurricane season, right?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I also noticed that elimay hasn't posted since her origninal.
We may just be talking among ourselves...

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Spring for a convertible, and as others have said, enjoy the scenery. And don't forget the sunscreen and sunglasses! You can stop in Marathon for lunch.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I just noticed the date you are going; you are aware it is hurricane season, right?
April - July is tornado season in the mid-west. Does that mean no one should visit there in the summer? :confused:

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
April - July is tornado season in the mid-west. Does that mean no one should visit there in the summer? :confused:

Also, I hear that its "quake season" like 24/7 in California.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
One time driving down several years ago, they were doing some sort of maintenance on one of the longer bridges, and traffic was stopped (on the bridge) for maybe 20 minutes or so.
It was a beautiful day, and instead of being upset, everyone just got out of their cars, watched the scenery, saw some dolphins, and chatted with strangers. It was one of the more enjoyable parts of the trip.

baakfamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please do (talk on)

I also noticed that elimay hasn't posted since her origninal.
We may just be talking among ourselves...

But feel free to talk on. I got my SCUBA certification last year with my son so of course I must hit the Keys at some point. Not this year, but maybe next.

Kelsie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess Elimay must have gotten discouraged.:) However, if you are still interested in the great information everyone has given you em, I have one more sug. Give yourself plenty of time when traveling back to MIA/FLL. We have been going to KW for 18 yrs. and really never ran into a major delay, until this past October 2009. We gave ourselves 5 yrs. to drive from KW to Laurderdale to catch our flight. Name the delay it happened. Sudden rain, unbelievable traffic in clusters, chickens crossing the road (& you better stop), an old man going 25 in a 50 and not able to pass.:rolleyes: Trying to get our car back to the off site destination for Hertz in FL and could not get anyone who spoke English to answer my questions.:doh: We missed our flight! We flew Southwest and they were amazing, booked us for the next morning, without additional fees, gave us a voucher for $$ off our Hotel. From now on, we will leave at least 6 hrs. to get there on time, or leave the night before & stay in FL, depending on the time of our flight. Have a great time. kelsie:)