• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2010] HHV to add 2 new timeshares

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, I hope they all won't be all overpriced and plus unit properties.:shrug:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the link. :)

It looks like the one by convention center will have a more central location and closer to the lagoon and beach which to me is a better location than the GW and the other one will be way out on the far end of the property, which for me is too far away from the beach...

Of course ain't Hilton great building more timeshares in a current location! Gotta love em for that philosophy! ;)

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Of course, ain't Hilton great [for] building more timeshares in a current location! Gotta love em for that philosophy!

We could ultimately find that, while there are other resorts, only units somewhere in HHV are available. :shrug:

Last edited:

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, I cannot imagine the crowd at the pool and elsewhere after the two new towers are completed (and rooms occupied)! Roughly 1200 timeshare units plus how many hotel units on that 22 acres?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Wow news about HGVC expanding in Hawaii again. Now thats shocking, NOT!:annoyed: :bawl:

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I wish HGVC were building in a location where they do not have multiple timeshares already. I think they must be catering to a wealthy Japanese clientele that likes Honolulu. :shrug:

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will eventually be quite crowded

The place is ok as far as crowds go now for me. The future seems quite ominous as described by the sardine can photo above. It is a good development for those who own in Orlando or Las Vegas, but then again it is hard for me to imagine most liking HHV at all once all the development is complete. Once the market improves it looks like I will surely be a seller.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too was wondering about how crowded it will eventually be???? Perhaps someone should send the sardine can picture to the management at HHV & HGVC! :D

I think pianodinosaur is correct, they are catering to the Japanese tourists who buy at HHV.

jestme

Reaction score
My annoyance is that after a year of building the wedding chappel, 2+ years of the Waikikian construction, and the Tropics rebuild last year, I'm ready for a construction break. I'm sure their regular hotel guests have the same issue, and will probably go elsewhere for a while, if not for good.
Seeing Blackstone actually investing in a new building is good news, but Maui would have been much better from where I stand.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I am really bummed they are building at HHV instead of a new location.

HatTrick

Reaction score
My annoyance is that after a year of building the wedding chappel, 2+ years of the Waikikian construction, and the Tropics rebuild last year, I'm ready for a construction break. I'm sure their regular hotel guests have the same issue, and will probably go elsewhere for a while, if not for good.

I'm sure their reply would be, "We're giving you a 3-year break. Construction doesn't begin until 2013." :annoyed:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Found some interesting documents

Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach & Spa is preparing a major renovation of Waikiki's only true destination resort. By implementing a visionary Master Plan, the 22-acre retreat will feature an expanded retail landscape, an improved guest arrival experience and numerous upgraded amenities, including additional children's and adult pools with ample deck space.

Current Number of Guest Annually - 2 million+

Seven Current HHV Towers
Guest rooms, suites & Diamond Head apartments - 2,971 [Tapa Tower (1,044), Rainbow Tower (832), Diamond Head Tower (435) and Apartments (44), Alii Tower (324), and Kälia Tower (292), respectively]
Timeshare units - 656 [Grand Waikïkian (331), Lagoon Tower (253), and Kalia Tower (72)]

Two Planned Timeshare Towers
Timeshare Tower #1 - 300
Timeshare Tower #2 - 250

Timeshare Tower #1 (which will be located at the existing Group Bus and Tour area )
Total square footage - 485,662 gross square feet
Total LUO square footage - 378,315 square feet
Height - 37 stories

Timeshare Tower #2 (which will be part of a redevelopment of the makai side of the Rainbow Bazaar near the Great Lawn)
Total square footage - 307,238 gross square feet (excluding 2 lower retail levels)
Total LUO square footage - 288,876 square feet
Height - 23 stories (excluding 2 lower retail levels)

Parking Facilities
Current number of stalls - 1,819
After Master Plan - 1,951

Total Area
Current - 22 oceanfront acres
After Master Plan - 22 oceanfront acres

Retail/Restaurants/Lounge Space
Current - 109,643 square feet
After Master Plan - 124,0004 square feet

Pools
Current - 6 pool totaling 17,120 square feet
After Master Plan - 7 pools totaling 25,900 square feet

Floor Area
Existing Floor Area - 3,199,057 square feet
After Master Plan - 3,890,536 square feet

Floor Area Ration (FAR)
Existing Floor Area - 3.01 FAR
After Master Plan - 3.6534 FAR

Summary of the Master Plan concept includes:
(1) An improved streetscape, to include retail outlets, along Kalia Road to enhance the shopping and pedestrain experience for hotel guests, visitors and local residents alike
(2) Retention of at least 50 percent open space throughout the Village's 22-oceanfront acres to maintain and enhance the inviting, park-like setting
(3) Repositioning and redeveloping retail space to meet expectation of today and tomorrow's sophisticated shoppers (i'm assuming this is talking about the Rainbow Bazaar area based on #8 below)
(4) Improved Main Entry and renovation of Rainbow Drive
(5) Major renovation of the open-air Front Desk Area
(6) Development of the new Super Pool and new Hau Tree Bar
(7) Improvements to the Tapa Pool and Tapa Cafe
(8) Development of two new timeshare towers that will mean an additional estimated 550 timeshare units within the Village, one tower will be located over the existing bus loading area and the second will be built over a newly redeveloped Rainbow Bazaar, a project designed to meet expectation of today and tomorrow's sophisticated shoppers

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
continued...

Details of the Master Plan
The improvements identified in the Master Plan are framed in six distinct phases of implementation, each of which are described below:

Improve Retail & Streetscape Experience Along Kalia Road
The Village “front” and main entry leads from Kälia Road onto Rainbow Drive. In general, improvements will be made to the street side appearance and appeal of retail units fronting the Rainbow Drive entry. Currently, the walkway and concourse space connecting the tour bus and group arrival area to and from Rainbow Drive to the entry of the Village is underutilized. Landscaping and pedestrian access fronting Tapa Tower along Kälia Road will be opened up, invoking a more appealing welcoming experience. A newly defined pedestrian path will direct visitors and guests along the major walkway under the Tapa Tower. Existing retail kiosks in this area will be replaced with newly designed retail spaces.

Improve Main Entry, Rainbow Drive, and Center of Resort Retail
One of the main issues to be addressed in this area is the pedestrian-vehicle conflict that exists at the crosswalk between Kälia Tower and Tapa Tower. Currently, pedestrian flow converges at the crosswalk while vehicles maneuver to enter/exit the main parking garage from Rainbow Drive. Proposed improvements include relocating the existing crosswalk approximately 60 to 80 feet makai from its current location. This action will direct pedestrian circulation away from the area, thereby alleviating the current congestion. Retail storefronts will be reoriented to the crosswalk, absorbing pedestrian flow and creating new retail activity hubs in the central area of the Village.

Other planned improvements for this area include renovating and infilling an existing retail pavilion to create a single retail space adjacent to and fronting the main lobby. Existing retail units may selectively remain, but will undergo exterior renovations to improve their overall appearance and appeal. Additionally, the existing overhead structure that connects Kälia Tower and Tapa Tower will be removed, increasing and improving the visual corridor through the main entry of the Village. New landscaping and lighting will further enhance the area.

Improve Front Desk, Develop Super Pool, Village Green, and New Hau Tree Bar
The porte cochere entry and front desk lobby are the primary points of guest arrival. The overhang canopy of the porte cochere will be expanded, allowing for more cars to queue under cover for drop off/pick-up and valet service. This expansion will help to alleviate traffic build-up that occurs during peak use periods within the Village along Rainbow and Lagoon Drives.

Most of the existing components of the front desk lobby area will remain. However, portions of the lobby area will be reconfigured and undergo interior renovations to enhance and improve the visual relationships between the lobby and the pool and beach areas. Key modifications within the lobby area and adjoining walkways to Aliÿi Tower, Rainbow Tower, and the Super Pool include the removal of the Shell Bar pavilion, the covered trellis walkway, and development of a landscaping plan for future plantings and best management practices for the existing mature Banyan tree. The anticipated result of these modifications will be an expanded recreational focal point, centered with the planned expansion of the Super Pool area.

Plans for the Super Pool expansion include the creation of two keiki pools, both designed with age-appropriateness in mind. One of these pools will include a series of water slides and other amenity features. Additionally, an adult pool will be created with an expansive deck and chaise lounge space, including cabanas for visitors seeking quiet solace and peaceful environment.

The expansion and improvements result in the relocation of selected retail, food and beverage amenities. The Village Green will be absorbed with an expansion of the wildlife pool, and the creation of a centered plaza fronting Aliÿi Tower. On the makai side, the existing Hau Tree Bar will be relocated near the Rainbow Lanai. Overall pedestrian access between the Aliÿi Tower, Rainbow Tower, the main lobby, and adjoining retail spaces will also be reconfigured.

Improve Tapa Pool and Café
The Tapa Pool and its surrounding terrace are currently centered in a more secluded area of the Village than the Super Pool counterpart. Plans will increase the deck space that will be utilized for pool activities during the day, which can convert to function space for evening events. Additionally, the café space, which is adjacent to the Tapa Pool terrace, is currently vacant. This area will be converted into a high ceiling multi-functional space for banquets or possible entertainment venue. Design elements of the area will include the ability to screen the pool and terrace area from the Tapa Bar, as necessary, to utilize the space for outdoor events.

New Timeshare Tower Sequel 1 over Bus Loading
The Village Master Plan proposes the development of a 300-unit timeshare tower, to be located at the existing Group Bus and Tour area on the Diamond Head corner of the property near Kälia Road and Paoa Place. The existing bus loading and service activities will remain on the ground level with some necessary improvements. An arrival lobby will be accessed via a new ramp that leads to the porte cochere on the second floor. Parking for this timeshare will be accommodated within the lower levels. Upon completion of City approvals, construction of this new timeshare tower is planned to commence in late 2013 and would open in 2016.

Acquisition of Remnant City and County of Honolulu Parcel
Kälia Road was realigned to a more mauka position around 1993. The ewa makai corner of Kalia Road and Paoa Place overlies a remnant portion of the former roadway and right-of-way. The subject land is currently improved with sidewalk and landscaping. The Master Plan Improvements project includes the planned acquisition of approximately 8,200 sq. ft. of TMK 2-6-5:1 (portion) owned by the City and County of Honolulu. This acquisition is currently in process with the appropriate City agencies.

New Timeshare Tower Sequel 2 over Redeveloped Rainbow Bazaar
The Village Master Plan also proposes a second timeshare tower, which will be comprised of 250 units. This tower will be part of a redevelopment of the makai side of the Rainbow Bazaar near the Great Lawn. Plans call for a new raised retail plaza, back of house area, and office space on the lower levels with a planned mix of room units. Parking requirements would be met by reallocating space within the existing parking garage to accommodate projected demand and Land Use Ordinance requirements. Tower 2 would be one of the last phases to be implemented, currently planned for 2019.

Anticipated Net Effect of Redevelopment on Village Retail
Upon completion of planned improvements, the Village Master Plan would result in approximately 23,900 square feet (SF) of renovated retail space, inclusive of food and beverage services. The overall net retail space will increase by 14,359 SF at Hilton Hawaiian Village ®.

HHV_MPgraphic_031910.jpg

Master_Plan_February8_2010_BOARDS.jpg

Sources:
http://www.hhvmasterplan.com/Hilton-Hawaiian-Village
http://www.ilikaiowners.com/wp-cont...lage-2010-Master-Plan-Project-Description.pdf
http://www.ilikaiowners.com/wp-cont...aiian-Village-2010-Master-Plan-Fact-Sheet.pdf
http://www.ilikaiowners.com/wp-cont...awaiian-Village-2010-Master-Plan-snapshot.pdf

deedman

Reaction score
it'd be nice if they built one in the caribbean. how many do they really need in hawaii, florida, and vegas.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
it'd be nice if they built one in the caribbean. how many do they really need in hawaii, florida, and vegas.

Ah, the standard refrain of HGVC'ers everywhere.
Perhaps they'll run out of space and have to build somewhere else.

Last edited:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alwaysonvac....thanks for that very detailed update. :)

After you read the volume of tourist numbers that go to HHV, you see why it's such an important resort to Hilton...I remember reading somewhere quite awhile back that for Hilton (prior to Blackstone) to have a successful year, HHV and to some extent Hilton Waikoloa had to have successful years.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Alwaysonvac....thanks for that very detailed update. :)
You're welcome :hi: .... I thought some of the HHV fans might be interested in detailed info regarding the changes planned for HHV. :)

After you read the volume of tourist numbers that go to HHV, you see why it's such an important resort to Hilton...I remember reading somewhere quite awhile back that for Hilton (prior to Blackstone) to have a successful year, HHV and to some extent Hilton Waikoloa had to have successful years.

You might be thinking of this Feb 2008 article - http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2008/02/25/story3.html

Blackstone moves fast to change Hilton
Departures of 3 Hawaii executives just the start of new plans to build profits

Interviews with local and national tourism industry executives suggest that the leadership changes are just the most obvious adjustments to the way the Hiltons will be run under Blackstone. While Hilton wasn't known as especially loose in how it ran its operations, Blackstone sees ways to cut costs and make more money from guests.

"There are more changes to come," said one local executive who asked not to be named because he didn't want to jeopardize his relationship with Hilton. "Noel and Gary were sick of the changes Blackstone was bringing -- they are old pros and don't want to work in an industry that operates that way. On the other side, Blackstone was probably tired of the way they had been operating for years."

Spokespeople for Hilton Hotel Corp. in Los Angeles and Blackstone Group declined to comment for this story. Hilton also said Seibert, Trainor and Seeger would not give interviews.

But Blackstone's own Web site is plain in its descriptions of how it makes money from hotels: "We provide in-house operating expertise in every facet of the business, including revenue enhancement and yield management initiatives, cost restructuring, redeployment of food and beverage operations, marketing, technology ... spas, health clubs and golf, and capital investment in renovations and building additional rooms."

As one national travel industry expert told PBN, "They have the key and they want to drive the car."

Last July, Hilton -- in its last public financial statement before the buyout -- said the Hawaii market had been "soft" during the second quarter. Hilton still posted a year-over-year profit of $165 million, up 15 percent.

As one of Hilton's biggest cash cows, the entire company feels it when occupancy at the 2,860-room Hilton Hawaiian Village slips. While the company never publicly broke out the performance of individual properties, occupancy in Waikiki has fallen in the past several years with the Japanese market continuing to decline and more visitors choosing other options like time shares.

One industry insider said he understood that the property had fallen behind the Hilton New York in Manhattan last year as the company's highest revenue-generating hotel.

Hilton also has been slow to capitalize on the shift from hotel rooms to time shares. Its 350-unit Grand Waikikian time-share tower is under construction and isn't scheduled to open until Dec. 30. Hilton Grand Vacations also is developing the Kings' Land time-share project at the Waikoloa Beach Resort on the Big Island.

A local hotel executive with extensive experience in time shares said morale had been low among Hilton sales and marketing staff even before the chain was sold and that sales at the new tower were below expectations.

"The fact that they were going out and aggressively soliciting some of us to come and work for them told us they weren't up to par," the executive said.

The sprawling 1,240-room Hilton Waikoloa Village also is a challenge. The complex on the Kohala Coast is extremely expensive to maintain and its occupancy is consistently below Hilton standards. Even aggressive promotions and marketing efforts have failed to keep the hotel anywhere close to full.

How Blackstone will deal with Hawaii's highly unionized work force remains to be seen. As one veteran Hawaii hotelier put it, "It's a lot easier to get rid of the old salts than organized labor."

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I love HGVC for their flexible points system. I hate them because they lack enough imagination to build anywhere other than Vegas, Orlando and Hawail. HGVC will only build where they think they can easily sell units. They're not into research and developement outside those three proven vacation areas. It's why I own 7,000 points and it's why I'll only own 7,000 points for the forseable future.

The only thing positive is that they're building more units in Hawaii since they're selling all those Orlando and Vegas units with the catch phrase that you can easily exchange into Hawaii. I guess if they're going to sell Vegas and Orlando units to trade into Hawaii, you'd better build more inventory so owners can actually have something to exchange into.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I predict the two new towers will be on the higher point scale like the Grand Waikikian, making it more difficult to get into the Lagoon and Kalia towers when people realize they can get more nights for their points in those towers.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Talked to a person in the sales gallery about these new towers today. He purposely doesn't know much since everything can change multiple times before it's reality. (His words, not mine.) But he did say the one over the Rainbow Bazaar won't be built for 10 years; he didn't know the timeframe on the the other one.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Talked to a person in the sales gallery about these new towers today. He purposely doesn't know much since everything can change multiple times before it's reality. (His words, not mine.) But he did say the one over the Rainbow Bazaar won't be built for 10 years; he didn't know the timeframe on the the other one.

The timeframes are also listed in post #17 above

From post #17
New Timeshare Tower Sequel 1 over Bus Loading
.....Upon completion of City approvals, construction of this new timeshare tower is planned to commence in late 2013 and would open in 2016.

New Timeshare Tower Sequel 2 over Redeveloped Rainbow Bazaar
....Tower 2 would be one of the last phases to be implemented, currently planned for 2019.