Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timeshare Resort Systems > All Other Timeshare Systems

All Other Timeshare Systems Discussion of other timeshare systems that do not have dedicated forums (e.g. Hyatt, VRI, Bluegreen, Westgate etc.)

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old April 30, 2010, 11:57 AM   #1
debbie1102
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 16, 05
DRI - We Own Deeded Week - Can I rent it Out?

Hi,
I've always thought about renting out our timeshare at Kaanapali Beach Club. It is a deeded week and not points. The legal documents online at DRI refer to the "Club" (not a member) and say renting is not allowed.

My question is as a deeded weeks owner, I can still reserve a week and then rent it out myself, is that correct? I just want to make sure everything goes smoothly. I don't want any problem for the renter. Thanks for any response.

P.S. Love the site. I learn so much about using my timeshare and getting my money's worth. THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO SHARES!!
debbie1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2010, 01:39 PM   #2
teepeeca
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05
Smile

This is "my" take of the situation. YOU OWN the week; you are NOT in "the club"---which prevents renting; therefore--you CAN DO whatever you want to do with YOUR property.

If you want to reserve your week, and rent it out, it is "your" choice.

Tony
teepeeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2010, 01:50 PM   #3
AwayWeGo

TUG Member

Resorts: Cypress Pointe Resort (Orlando FL), Vacation Village At Parkway [points] (Kissimmee FL).
Timeshare Seller Speaks With Forked Tongue.

Last time we took the DRI timeshare sales pitch (Grand Beach Resort, Orlando FL, January 2010) the timeshare seller said it is OK to rent out our club-reserved weeks if we so desire.

Not sure whether he meant renting out is specifically permitted, or whether he meant that there's no mechanism in place to keep us from renting out a club-reserved week or to catch us at it if we do it. Regardless, he said nothing would keep us from renting out club reservations if we choose.

The timeshare seller's lips were moving when he said it, so that's 1 big cloud on his veracity right there.

In any case, when no club is involved & no exchange is involved, there's no reason you can't rent out your own deeded timeshare week, period.

Full Disclosure: We didn't buy -- just picked up our timeshare tour freebies & headed on out.

Ka-ching !

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.
The Chief Of Staff since 1964.
Playing horn since 1955. Breathing air since 1942.

Last edited by AwayWeGo; April 30, 2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: To Add Full Disclosure (& Correct 1 Tiny Typing Error).
AwayWeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2010, 02:17 PM   #4
debbie1102
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 16, 05
I'm glad to get another opinion. Plus one that thinks like I do
And I know any words that come out of a salesmans' mouth are not to be taken literally.
Thanks,

Debbie
debbie1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2010, 05:23 PM   #5
dougp26364

TUG Member

Resorts: DRI, Marriott Grand Chateau & Ocean Pointe, Grand Lodge on Peak 7, French Quarter, Grand Regency
If you're a deeded week owner and not a member of THE Club, then you can rent your week to whomever you wish and advertise it wherever you want.

If you're a member of THE Club, DRI put limitations on renters due to a few who bought larger numbers of points to use as a cottage rental business of their own. At this time, if you're a member of DRI's points based reservations system, as I understand it you may only rent your points to family members, close friends, co-workers or someone else you know personally. You may not rent to someone you do not know or advertise rentals using various means such as websites like TUG, Timeshareforums or Redweek.

This rule prevents someone from buying thousands of points, automatically reserving the most popular weeks without the intent of using them personally and then renting them, thus depriving regular THE Club members from taking a planned family vacation. THE Club was intended as a way to take vacations and not for someone to buy trust based points ultra cheap on the resale market, then use those points as their own rental income business. That's the intention of the rule.

I have co-workers that are sometimes interested in taking vacations and I have extra points that I usually sell back to DRI after I've reserved (or planned) what I'm going to use. I have verified that, so long as the person I rent my points to is someone I know, then I'm all right.

To be honest, these last couple of years I've offered points to co-workers at a rate slightly above what DRI would give me but below what I'm actually paying in MF's (I figure I'd only get 5 cents per point anyway) but no one has taken me up on the offer. Everyone always talkd a good game about taking vacations but they rarely ever act on the discussion.
Old May 10, 2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Kauai Kid

TUG Member

Resorts: Alii Kai II (AKI-2201) 3 wks & Na Pali Kauai (NPP) 2 wks Princeville, Kauai; Maui Schooner (LMB) 3 wks Kihei, Maui
Don't spend the money yet.

We had two oceanfront weeks for rent at the Point at Poipu on Kauai and never got a single inquiry.

Rental was in red week and TUG.

Sterling
Kauai Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 10:53 PM   #7
csalter2
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 3, 08

Resorts: Marriott Ko Olina; DRI Gold Elite
Yes, you can.

Simply put, you can rent your DRI deeded week to others.