• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Plan a Canary Tour - - Gran Can to Tenerife to Lanzarote (to Madrid)

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Tuggers

So I've booked three timeshares on three islands - - Gran Canaria (Anfi Beach Club 5 nights) to Tenerife (Club Casablanca 4 nights) to Lanzarote (Las Casitas 3 or 4 nights).

We're flying directly JFK-Madrid-Gran Canaria (using British Airways frequent flier miles from last year's credit card offer gets us there on Iberia). The "3 or 4" in Lanzarote will depend on whether we want to leave early and spend a couple of nights in Madrid before heading back to the US.

Would it be a mistake to cut Lanzarote down to only three nights?

Should we plan on flying from island-to-island or are ferries cheaper or easier?
Should we rent a car on any of these islands, for sightseeing and airport or ferry connection, or is public transportation adequate?

I've found several ferry websites but I haven't sorted out what's practical
http://www.trasmediterranea.es/trasmeweb/inicio.do
http://www.fredolsen.es/es-es/index.aspx
http://www.naviera-armas.com/index.php?id_pagina=1

Thanks!

Cotswolder

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Personally I think you will need a car if you wish to see anything of the islands in the limited time you are giving yourself.
I have been going to Gran Canaria for 16 years and still have not seen all there is to see.

If you wish to see as much as possible then IMHO it would be best to fly between islands,

The ferry terminal from GC to Tenerife is at the north west of the island and not easy to reach from Anfi by any means other than a car.

Public transport is good but....... it is far more restrictive that having you own transport

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am taking my first trip to the Canaries over Thanksgiving with a DAE exchange and was looking at island hopping on a day trip to at least one other island. The ferries do not seem to work well for that, unfortunately. I have used ferries some places in the Caribbean for day trip island hopping. Planes seem to be the only reasonable way to do it, but I have not yet checked prices.

Rental cars are cheap in the Canaries. I already have one reserved through www.economycarrentals.com I always like the mobility of having a car.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally I think you will need a car if you wish to see anything of the islands in the limited time you are giving yourself.
I have been going to Gran Canaria for 16 years and still have not seen all there is to see.

If you wish to see as much as possible then IMHO it would be best to fly between islands,

The ferry terminal from GC to Tenerife is at the north west of the island and not easy to reach from Anfi by any means other than a car.

Public transport is good but....... it is far more restrictive that having you own transport

We have resisted going to the "Canaries" because we don't understand what makes them so attractive to others. For example, I can go to Maui, Bermuda, Nassau, etc. What is different about this part of the world that makes the expensive airfare worth the venture? It is clear that you love it and there must be very good reasons.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A major part of the appeal to those of us in Northern Europe is the weather. Temperatures rarely drop below about 70f and rainfall is far lower than in the UK.
If I could easily get to Hawaii or the Caribbean would I make the effort to travel across the Atlantic to the Canaries? An absolute and resounding NO!

We've been to Hawaii twice and the two island groups really can't be compared.

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have resisted going to the "Canaries" because we don't understand what makes them so attractive to others. For example, I can go to Maui, Bermuda, Nassau, etc. What is different about this part of the world that makes the expensive airfare worth the venture? It is clear that you love it and there must be very good reasons.

We spent a week in Madeira last year (following a week in the Algarve of Portugal) and loved it. So we're looking forward to what might be its Spanish counterpart.

Also, I'm one of those see-it-before-you-die types. We've been to Bermuda, Nassau, etc. and we'll be in Maui next month!

I'm hoping the Canaries aren't more English than Spanish, though.

Last edited:

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score

Looks like we'll do our island-hopping by air (except for Las Palmas-Tenerife where there's an easy ferry). I'm aware those routes are pricey but we're paying taxes-only on the transatlantic legs thanks to the BA miles deal. We weren't permitted to stopover in Madrid so the final tally will be Gran Canaria 4 nights, Tenerife 5 nights, Lanzarote 5 nights.

Also, courtesy of Laurie's advice in an earlier thread http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103841&highlight=tarahal
we've switched from Club Casablanca to Club Tarahal (2BR) in Tenerife.

Last edited:

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

In the way that Cancun is more American than Mexican you mean?:D You won't find much Spanish culture in the main tourist areas, but there is plenty of opportunity to find the 'real' country if you are willing to drive.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We weren't permitted to stopover in Madrid so the final tally will be Gran Canaria 4 nights, Tenerife 5 nights, Lanzarote 5 nights.

Also, courtesy of Laurie's advice in an earlier thread http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103841&highlight=tarahal
we've switched from Club Casablanca to Club Tarahal (2BR) in Tenerife.

Speaking of the "devil" (not really :p ) I think you made a good choice about not only yr Tenerife TS, but also your nights per island. We loved Lanzarote, plus you can take a day and ferry over to Fuerteventura on a very short hop, with your car, and see some really beautiful beaches close to Corralejo where you'd land.

We spent a week in Madeira last year (following a week in the Algarve of Portugal) and loved it. So we're looking forward to what might be its Spanish counterpart.

I think if you liked Madeira, you'll like the Canaries as much, we loved both - especially if you seek out the less-touristy areas - that's a good comparison you made.

The appeal for me as an American is: Canaries are just as close, and (previously, anyway) about the same price as flying to Hawaii from the east coast - actually, probably a shorter trip, and previously even cheaper than Hawaii.

(We haven't been to the Caribbean much, other than Grand Cayman and Cancun/Cozumel/Isla Mujeres, so can't compare to other Caribbean islands.)

Plus, they're an easy trade thru RCI, and DAE for that matter, often avail as cheap extra-vacations in RCI and probably bonus weeks from DAE, good weather most always, no hurricane seasons that I know of, food and auto rentals are relatively inexpensive, and gorgeous. We've been 2x and I'd go back. (We've been to Hawaii 4x too, and would go back!)

Last edited: