• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

On Maui but offered Cancun

boompole

Reaction score
We are on Maui and went to a presentation yesterday. they told us that to buy on Maui or Kauai would cost $36,900 for EOY and MF are $2495/year.
When they brought the manager in he said "Because you are on an Explorer package I have One Cancun Lagunamar for $33,900 EY and MF are $1250/ year". are they doing this because they can't sell any Hawaii I was told taht i could use Cancun for Hawaii. I have 6 days left to recind and back out of the deal
Thanks for any help!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi and welcome to TUG!

You should absolutely rescind! You can buy for less than 50% on the resale market! Don't do it!

Rescinding FAQ

Last edited:

badpelican

TUG Member
Reaction score
rescind

I even knew about the resale market but still fell for all of the sales agents tactics to get us to buy @ princeville a year ago. Thanks to TUG and having a clearer head back on the mainland I did rescind.

If you really want Hawaii you are correct on the maint. fees but can pick up a resale for around $25 k for oceanfront, maybe 5-12 for lesser views. (annual use @ WKORV) Noodle around here for just a little while and you'll know the answer is to rescind, no hesitation.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Rescind - the loss is more like 70-80% (and dropping). Once Cancun is sold out - watch the MFs rocket!

Congrats on finding TUG before it was too late.

melrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why do you think that the MF would soar once WLR is sold out?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It's time to do The Big R. And then enjoy every future vacation knowing you paid $$$ less to get the same week by buying resale.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Historically, it seems the MFs always increase once the developer stops active sales at a resort. There are many reasons for this, take a look around TUG and you'll see lots of threads about this topic.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

For one thing, the developer subsidies with stop. For another, once the resort is sold out, they no longer need to impress potential buyers by keeping the maintenance fees low.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ken, ... It's not that the developer stops selling. It's that the aging of the resort after 3-4 years causes higher maintenance expenses. It's like a car that needs little maintenance in the beginning but after some years and some miles needs that maintenance. ... eom

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

It is not just one singular thing that causes MFs too soar - all factors need to be considered - historically... (for the ones I have owned)
WSJ was around for 7-8 years before MFs soared
WKORV-S was around for 4-5 years before MFs soared
WKV has been around for about 7 years - and MFs have been relatively stable
WPORV so far has gotten out of the gate with 10%/year MF increases

What will happen to WLR MFs in the future? Time will tell - let's revisit this in 4-5 years, but I would not bet against them being >50% higher...

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
George Santayana

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
What will happen to WLR MFs in the future? Time will tell - let's revisit this in 4-5 years, but I would not bet against them being >50% higher...

If they only increase a "modest" 10% each year, then they will definitely have gone up 50% from today's levels after 4-5 years...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If they only increase a "modest" 10% each year, then they will definitely have gone up 50% from today's levels after 4-5 years...
ummm... exactly - a 10% increase with the inflation and basic investment rate of what... 2%? 10% per year is anything but modest (assume that was meant sarcastically...). I consider 10%/year soaring - YMMV...

boompole

Reaction score
Thank You everyone for your indepth insight. Seems most everyone is saying "RECIND"

In your debt, Stan

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We are on Maui and went to a presentation yesterday. they told us that to buy on Maui or Kauai would cost $36,900 for EOY and MF are $2495/year.
When they brought the manager in he said "Because you are on an Explorer package I have One Cancun Lagunamar for $33,900 EY and MF are $1250/ year". are they doing this because they can't sell any Hawaii I was told taht i could use Cancun for Hawaii. I have 6 days left to recind and back out of the deal
Thanks for any help!

Am I reading this right? They offered you Maui or Kauai Every Other Year for $36,900, or a Cancun Every Year for $33,900?? When I went on the Owner's Update at Lagunamar, they offered me a week (81,000 Star Options), Every Year, for $21,900, including 81,000 bonus Star Options (for calendar year 2011) and 130,000 Star Points. I am wondering why such a huge difference between your offer and mine?? The value of the points makes the difference even greater.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It is not just one singular thing that causes MFs too soar - all factors need to be considered - historically... (for the ones I have owned)
WSJ was around for 7-8 years before MFs soared
WKORV-S was around for 4-5 years before MFs soared
WPORV so far has gotten out of the gate with 10%/year MF increases

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
George Santayana

to add on this...

Take a look at the corresponding increase Hotel rates and other comparable TS MFs in HI during this period of WKORV soaring - they did not even come close to the MF increase of WKORV (hmmm... i wonder why this is...?)

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC

"stable" with Starwood has been an oxymoron or, as put by David, a very relative term.

WKV has not been immune to whatever Starwood has been doing. 5 years ago MFs were around $800 (see second post by wingkng in this old thread). Today, 5 years later, they are 50% higher...

While 50% over 5 years is better than 100% (the WKORV/HRA/WSJ case), it's still a one way path to a very bad ending unless things truly stabilize or improve on the MF front..

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
And why in the world are MFs outpacing inflation by 3 to 5% annually? It would be one thing if inflation was the factor, but it is not. It is simple mismanagement or management greed, I am not sure which.

elaine

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
And why in the world are MFs outpacing inflation by 3 to 5% annually? It would be one thing if inflation was the factor, but it is not. It is simple mismanagement or management greed, I am not sure which.

elaine

Or, the original MFs in the early years were simply less since there was less to do. But what do I know? The main problem we have when it comes to this topic is a lack of facts.

Regardless, I also don't like the direction WKV is heading, but comparing it to WKORV or certain other resorts, I'm pleased that it's still providing the best bang for the MF buck.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Am I reading this right? They offered you Maui or Kauai Every Other Year for $36,900, or a Cancun Every Year for $33,900?? When I went on the Owner's Update at Lagunamar, they offered me a week (81,000 Star Options), Every Year, for $21,900, including 81,000 bonus Star Options (for calendar year 2011) and 130,000 Star Points. I am wondering why such a huge difference between your offer and mine?? The value of the points makes the difference even greater.

Was that a 1-bed you were quoted? Perhaps the distinction is the price between 1 and 2-bed units.

djdavid79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was that a 1-bed you were quoted? Perhaps the distinction is the price between 1 and 2-bed units.

I think it is the difference between 2 bed Platinum Plus and Gold Plus. We were offered 2 Bed EOY Plat Plus for $18,900, with the option to make it EY for an extra $14,000. So that works out to the about the same EY price for Plat. Plus.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun

Mine was a 2BR lock-off

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I think it is the difference between 2 bed Platinum Plus and Gold Plus. We were offered 2 Bed EOY Plat Plus for $18,900, with the option to make it EY for an extra $14,000. So that works out to the about the same EY price for Plat. Plus.

That must be the difference. My offer was for 81,000 SO, the OP was probably for 148,100 SO. Those SOs are worth big bucks, I guess.

boompole

Reaction score

Yes were were offered 148,000 star options for EY at Lagunamar with 30,000 Starpoints and option to buy 80,000 star point at $1550.

wingkng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind!

Take it from someone who bought into the whole Timeshare thing a few years ago. Developer prices are not based on reality, especially with this economy. Even if you buy resale, be sure that you factor in the MF. It has skyrocketed in recent years, and it was one of the reasons I am getting out of the whole SVN thing.

BTW, it was weird to see me being quoted from a previous post. I am surprised how much WKV has gone up in five years.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
BTW, it was weird to see me being quoted from a previous post. I am surprised how much WKV has gone up in five years.

$50-$100 a year doesn't seem much but when you start at $800 five years ago, it's not hard to add 50%+ to that amount using those increments...

How many other expenses/bills do you have that went up 50% during that time?? :ponder: